Canadian Buyers of Software Unite

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy Robinson said:
Do you have an address for Gregorian in Yorkville. Can't seem to find it listed in Canada 411. I have been to Yorkville before and I don't want to wander around there all day looking for it. In the '60's I didn't mind wandering around there all day.

Found it. North side of Yorkville near Bay.

Bought it at Edwards today, Yonge and Eg. $24.99, but I have spent so much there I get a discount, $21.99 final price. Sure, it's cheaper at BB, but they were pissing me off by never having it in stock! :)

Nobody told me it was a flipper, how exciting. Would have rather a flipper with a redbook layer, but can't have everything, can we...

Just got back from Downtown Toronto. I went to HMV's main store and Gregorian in Yorkville. Here's my take. HMV sucks. About the same titles as a BestBuy at $5 - $10 more per title. They had a few things that are difficult to get at BB such as James Taylor - JT, but it was $34.95. Walked out of there in disgust and went to Gregorian. They have a huge selection (200-300 I would guess) Classical SACD's and a few jazz and rock SACD's. The price is not bad. About the same as the internet in most cases. They had about 15 DVD-A's. All the usual suspects. About $5 higher than the BB usual price. However, I bought nothing there as well.

So I guess my current strategy is right. Go to BB first and if they don't have it order it over the internet, trying amazon.ca first.

[Hi,
We might of almost tripped over each other. I was there at about 2:30 or so.
Really nothing to speak of in dvd-a as you say. BestBuy still has the best selection and prices. I also concur re HMV although I haven't been in a while "their a rip".

I'm into Jazz so I picked up Miles Davis "In a Silent Way", A new guy out of Vancouver(new to me) named Chris Gestrin "Stillpoint" .
Harry Connick jr. "We Are in Love" and a Blues disc Robert Lockwood jr. "Delta Crossroads" Harry Connick is the only non mltich.

My best point of reference, (because most of their sacd's I haven't seen elewhere, pricing wise) was the Peter Gabriel selction, I think they might be a buck an a half to 2 higher than BB

But WOW the price of those IMPORTED sacd's $50 to $60, I was talking to the lady at the counter she said they had quite an internet clientele for those and others that are special order.

Anyway, one last thing, I parked next door at the city lot it was $5.00 for an hr. and went over to BayBloor, they were closed.

Peter m.. QUOTE=Guy Robinson]Just got back from Downtown Toronto. I went to HMV's main store and Gregorian in Yorkville. Here's my take. HMV sucks. About the same titles as a BestBuy at $5 - $10 more per title. They had a few things that are difficult to get at BB such as James Taylor - JT, but it was $34.95. Walked out of there in disgust and went to Gregorian. They have a huge selection (200-300 I would guess) Classical SACD's and a few jazz and rock SACD's. The price is not bad. About the same as the internet in most cases. They had about 15 DVD-A's. All the usual suspects. About $5 higher than the BB usual price. However, I bought nothing there as well.

So I guess my current strategy is right. Go to BB first and if they don't have it order it over the internet, trying amazon.ca first.[/QUOTE]

petermwilson said:
[Hi,
We might of almost tripped over each other. I was there at about 2:30 or so.
Really nothing to speak of in dvd-a as you say. BestBuy still has the best selection and prices. I also concur re HMV although I haven't been in a while "their a rip".

I'm into Jazz so I picked up Miles Davis "In a Silent Way", A new guy out of Vancouver(new to me) named Chris Gestrin "Stillpoint" .
Harry Connick jr. "We Are in Love" and a Blues disc Robert Lockwood jr. "Delta Crossroads" Harry Connick is the only non mltich.

My best point of reference, (because most of their sacd's I haven't seen elewhere, pricing wise) was the Peter Gabriel selction, I think they might be a buck an a half to 2 higher than BB

But WOW the price of those IMPORTED sacd's $50 to $60, I was talking to the lady at the counter she said they had quite an internet clientele for those and others that are special order.

Anyway, one last thing, I parked next door at the city lot it was $5.00 for an hr. and went over to BayBloor, they were closed.

Peter m.. QUOTE=Guy Robinson]Just got back from Downtown Toronto. I went to HMV's main store and Gregorian in Yorkville. Here's my take. HMV sucks. About the same titles as a BestBuy at $5 - $10 more per title. They had a few things that are difficult to get at BB such as James Taylor - JT, but it was $34.95. Walked out of there in disgust and went to Gregorian. They have a huge selection (200-300 I would guess) Classical SACD's and a few jazz and rock SACD's. The price is not bad. About the same as the internet in most cases. They had about 15 DVD-A's. All the usual suspects. About $5 higher than the BB usual price. However, I bought nothing there as well.

So I guess my current strategy is right. Go to BB first and if they don't have it order it over the internet, trying amazon.ca first.
[/QUOTE]

It was actually Friday night that I was there. Stayed over at the Royal York on Friday and Saturday night. The two titles that I almost picked up were John Eliot Gardner conducting The Planets which was $24.99 and Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live which I think was $49.99. I checked amazon.ca when I got home and The Planets was $23.99 and Bucky was $29.99. Free shipping over $39 and a $5 off coupon they sent me makes amazon.ca the place to order these 2 titles from. Actually I was looking for the DVD-A Swing Live but it is hard to find. Hopefully the SACD is as good.

I have not even stepped in an HMV in years. They are overpriced beyond belief! I can't understand how they are so popular...I guess size matters. People just buy something if they want it, that's the problem, too lazy to comparison shop. God, we used to take the TTC to Yonge and Bloor, walk down to Yonge and Dundas, and hit every record store till we found the best price. The good old days....now there are only 2 or 3 places left compared to 7 or 8 chains in my heyday.
Records on Wheels, Cheapies, Music World, Sunrise, A&A, Sam the Record Man, Vinyl Museum.....all on one street. sigh...........

I found some great SACD prices at HMV in a hi rez section
only one store in Calgary and one in Edmonton have these sections.
AS for dvd-A A&B SOUND have the best in store selection. Has anybody ordered from the A&B web site

Hi Solaris, which HMV in Calgary are you referring to? I have checked 2 or 3 and none of them have had any SACD except for Pink Floyd. I have ordered on line from A&B Sound but that was about 2 1/2 years ago when I lived in Kamloops. They responed in about a week but that was for items in stock. It was also before they changed their web site, it was much easier to find hi-rez material on their site back then.

They just renovated the HMV Chinook and put in a hi rez section. that was about a month ago.
Also on the A&B web site you need to write in DVD-A to find any of those.

Hi,
In keeping with the original title of this subject I'd like to throw out an idea or concept.

The previous threads have basically told us where we've found 2 things, the best prices, (and worst HMV) and selection seems to be inconclusive.

I'm an impulse buyer so what i'm about to propose will be tough for me but if you guys think it's a good idea I'll commit.

I belong to a small Home Theatre club here in Toronto and one of our members is a partner in an online dvd and music site called DV-DEPOT.
Its Canadian although all prices are quoted in US dollars.

I haven't approached him and I don't know whether he or our Canadian group would be interested in ceating a buying club that would actually have a list of members which of course could be added on to as this site grows and if we could use a refference point like BestBuy + any Bonafide Sales taking place anywhere we find that we can substantiate and ask DV-DEPOT to give us a better "at our door, taxes included" price for HIREZ music and even DVDs (which might be tougher due to the chains volumes in this product), would you be interested?

We, of course would be buying individually but would be registered as part of this group. If it works it would be great, if it doesn't, well we gave it a try.

It would be important for us to be patient and for DV-DEPOT to make sure they had stock.
We could even commit to discs not out yet which would allow them to place orders earlier for quicker delivery.

WHADAYATHINK,

Peter m.

Hey I'm not sure how many of us there are but I would be interested if pricing was solid. I am also interested in shipping cost as this offten kills the deal.

Hi Solaris,
I agree re shipping, thats why I mentioned the tothedoor tax included pricing would be the way I would approach them. If your in a costly place to deliver to it may cost a little more but they still have to ship discs to your local retailer which also incurs costs so it might be a realtive issue.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Solaris,
I agree re shipping, thats why I mentioned the tothedoor tax included pricing would be the way I would approach them. If your in a costly place to deliver to it may cost a little more but they still have to ship discs to your local retailer which also incurs costs so it might be a realtive issue.

Peter m.
I still like amazon.ca
I got the Norah Jones SACD, and an Alison Krauss SACD...with free shipping and they gave me a $5 coupon.....total for 2 discs shipped, $45!

I can't believe it. I drive for hours and make special trips to find DVD-A and SACD disks in Canada. I am in Mexico City now, and I wandered through a generic Mexican mall after lunch today and the ONLY music store in the place had a rack of DVD-Audio (and a few SACD) disks. What gives? The prices were comparable too. I bought Mana - Unplugged for 260 pesos ... about CDN$32.00 tax in ... and the guy in the store KNEW what they heck they were. Shit, Best Buy should be recruiting in Mexico for these guys. Viva la revolution! :D Mike.

started seeing DVDepot guy on the boards, what became of the T.O. area discount fun? :)

Hi,

I was given a DVD-A sampler at the Queesway BB yesterday. Its put out by DTS and is called volume 2 and includes 9 songs

1. Insane Clown Posse " Ain't yo business
2. Queen "Dragon Attack"
3. SHeDaisy "A Night to Remember"
4. CrosbyNash "WoodenShips"
5. Frank Zappa "Dancin Fool"
6. Sheila Nicholls "Faith"
7. Graham Nash "The Chelsea Hotel"
8. Les Brown "That Old Black Magic"
9. Brazilian Romance "Lua by Dudu Salinas"

Don't know if you just have to ask for it but I think many of us spend enough bucks there to qualify.

Peter m.
ps: xuse my ignoance but I've never heard of Insane Clown Posse and that first tune will checkout you bass management. Quite punchy.

Back