Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only question (besides 'do the unreleased mixes actually exist or are they just myths?') is would it be proper to include 5.1 mixes in a 'QUADIO' box set? Based on the Chicago set, I would say probably not, but then again, if they did exactly what you outlined and called it by some other name, then hey, I would have nothing wrong with that! :)

If they wanted this to be a Quadio set, then they could create new 4.0 mixes for the albums that did not get any. Then BAM! Robert is your mother's brother.

I was just thinking.

I saw that this years Kennedy Center Honors will honor the Eagles (they were supposed to get it last year but Glenn Frey was sick and they figured he'd be better this year). What better way to honor Glenn's memory than an Eagles QUADIO box?

The Eagles (First Album) [Unreleased Quad Mix from 1970's]
Desperado [Unreleased Quad Mix from 1970's]
On the Border [Quad Mix from 1970's]
One of These Nights [Quad Mix from 1970's]
Hotel California [5.1 DVD-A Mix] (or if it exists the planned Quad Mix from the 1970's)
The Long Run [Elliot Scheiner unreleased (or unfinsihed) 5.1 DVD-A Mix]

IMHO, a box like this would be just as impressive as the Chicago Quadio box.

For me, it would be more impressive. I love Chicago, but I think the Eagles material would sound absolutely killer in Quad.....while Simon would be like butter on toast...I'd be like white on rice. :mad:@:

For me, it would be more impressive. I love Chicago, but I think the Eagles material would sound absolutely killer in Quad.....while Simon would be like butter on toast...I'd be like white on rice. :mad:@:

agreed. I like Chicago but IMO The Eagles were better songwriters and musicians.

If they wanted this to be a Quadio set, then they could create new 4.0 mixes for the albums that did not get any. Then BAM! Robert is your mother's brother.

If they were going to create new surround mixes, they may as well just be 5.1 mixes then.
I prefer to keep Quad relegated to mixes that were already completed at the time, not only for the nostalgia factor but especially since the vast majority of current surround mixing and listening spaces are set up for 5.1 anyway.

I was just thinking.

I saw that this years Kennedy Center Honors will honor the Eagles (they were supposed to get it last year but Glenn Frey was sick and they figured he'd be better this year). What better way to honor Glenn's memory than an Eagles QUADIO box?

Hotel California [5.1 DVD-A Mix] (or if it exists the planned Quad Mix from the 1970's)

LOVE this idea x times a million..!!
Plus a similar Doobies Surround box with all 5.1 and Quad mixes both released and prev unreleased.
Both an Eagles and Doobies Quadio/Surround box set in the Chicago Quadio set mould would be absolute no-brainers for Rhino from a sales point of view imho.

My only question (besides 'do the unreleased mixes actually exist or are they just myths?') is would it be proper to include 5.1 mixes in a 'QUADIO' box set? Based on the Chicago set, I would say probably not, but then again, if they did exactly what you outlined and called it by some other name, then hey, I would have nothing wrong with that! :)

How about EAGLES: QUADIO plus

The existing 5.1 mixes would be a lot more cost effective to add, and if they released such a box without them (stereo only) everyone would bitch "Why didn't they put the HC 5.1 in there with the box?" I can hear it now.

I was just thinking.

I'd be all over this. Although Chicago didn't put any of the 5.1 mixes on their set, I don't see why this proposed box couldn't have both 5.1 and quad mixes if both already exist for one album - we've seen this with the Pink Floyd blu-rays in the box sets.

Also, they had may as well put in Hell Freezes Over, already in 5.1 as it is.

Could these recent posts be cut out and a new "Quadio Suggestions"thread could be started? Just a thought. This thread is getting difficult to read through for all the different roads it's split into. Just a thought. :)

Could these recent posts be cut out and a new "Quadio Suggestions"thread could be started? Just a thought. This thread is getting difficult to read through for all the different roads it's split into. Just a thought. :)

That was part of my intent last week. Will take a look at creating this carefully when my work travel concludes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the disks yet but I did go through them to assure that nothing was missing. Even though all are cardboard, the detail that they went through with the packaging is very impressive.

I was just thinking.

This will not be a popular thing to say on this board given how most people feel about super deluxe box sets for a single album, but this thought did cross my mind today.
When it comes to reissuing Eagles albums (including their relevant surround mixes), Warner Music/Rhino Records could implement a completely different release strategy than the one utilized for the Chicago set and release each Eagles album as its own super deluxe box set.
All 6 of the classic Eagles albums (like Fleetwood Mac) are huge catalogue sellers year in and year out, so I could easily see them putting together deluxe box sets for each album and releasing the relevant surround mixes that way, rather than one comprehensive box containing all albums and all surround mixes together.
I know that's not what most people want, but it could happen, and if/when it does, don't say I didn't warn ya… ;)
(This could start as soon as this year with a 40th anniversary box set of "Hotel California".)

The Doobie Brothers (on the other hand) stand a much better chance IMHO of releasing a single comprehensive Quadio box set, especially since none of those albums could probably sell enough on their own to make each album its own box set. That's what I'm pushing for, and I'm not gonna stop until we get it! :)

I was just thinking.

Jon,

Wasn't "Desperado" released in Quad back in the day? I'm pretty sure I have a transfer from a Q8 someplace.

This will not be a popular thing to say on this board given how most people feel about super deluxe box sets for a single album, but this thought did cross my mind today.
When it comes to reissuing Eagles albums (including their relevant surround mixes), Warner Music/Rhino Records could implement a completely different release strategy than the one utilized for the Chicago set and release each Eagles album as its own super deluxe box set.
All 6 of the classic Eagles albums (like Fleetwood Mac) are huge catalogue sellers year in and year out, so I could easily see them putting together deluxe box sets for each album and releasing the relevant surround mixes that way, rather than one comprehensive box containing all albums and all surround mixes together.
I know that's not what most people want, but it could happen, and if/when it does, don't say I didn't warn ya… ;)
(This could start as soon as this year with a 40th anniversary box set of "Hotel California".)

I would pass on those as I'm not a big enough fan to spend all that money just for Multichannel mixes. If it's a set like the Chicago, I'm in, if not, I'll leave the pleasure to others.

The Doobie Brothers (on the other hand) stand a much better chance IMHO of releasing a single comprehensive Quadio box set, especially since none of those albums could probably sell enough on their own to make each album its own box set. That's what I'm pushing for, and I'm not gonna stop until we get it! :)

I'd get that one for sure.

BAD idea, RT. Why superdeluxe box sets for each? Jon's proposal is SUPERIOR on every level. I would also add The Eagles HELL FREEZES OVER as part of the set. A Great album, IMO, and spectacular sounding as well.http://www.slacker.com/album/eagles/hell-freezes-over-dts

BAD idea, RT. Why superdeluxe box sets for each? Jon's proposal is SUPERIOR on every level.

I never said my idea was better than Jon's, so why assume that?
In that post, I was thinking about what COULD happen, not what I WANT to happen, cause as we all know, what we want is not always what we end up with.
Sometimes you have to think like a label in order to avoid being disappointed, then when a release like the Chicago set comes along that actually meets your wildest dreams and highest expectations, then it's really time to par-tay! :) :banana:

I was just thinking.

They could get that done so easily, and it would be such an incredible follow-up - unlike before. Not to disrespect Aretha's music in any way, but that was a terrible second release for a surround series. This would go a long way to help forget that...

Last edited:
I never said my idea was better than Jon's, so why assume that?
In that post, I was thinking about what COULD happen, not what I WANT to happen, cause as we all know, what we want is not always what we end up with.
Sometimes you have to think like a label in order to avoid being disappointed, then when a release like the Chicago set comes along that actually meets your wildest dreams and highest expectations, then it's really time to par-tay! :) :banana:

If they're going to do that though, Ryan, it doesn't need to be encouraged - wouldn't you agree with that?

If they're going to do that though, Ryan, it doesn't need to be encouraged - wouldn't you agree with that?

Oh I agree, but I'm definitely not advertising that idea at all to those who were involved with this set.
When emailing them my thanks, I'm concentrating squarely on the Doobie Brothers set as the best follow-up idea.
It's lower hanging fruit than the Eagles, but it's still just as sweet IMHO. :)

Back