Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Released at the same time? That could prove to be expensive, but it's definitely better than just getting one or the other.
(Then again if they do release a Doobie Brothers set, then that's really all that matters to me, along with the two Eagles Quad albums. Everything else is lagniappe to me.) :)

Lotta Quad lagniappe in Warner's vaults, I imagine.. and if box sets of one particular artist are a no-go, Rhino could do Quadio sets on a theme, maybe along the lines of..

1.) Soul/R&B Quadio set comprising of Average White Band, Donny Hathaway, Graham Central Station, Herbie Mann, Spinners, Roberta Flack (11 x Quad set)..
2.) Hard Rock Quadio set comprising Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Deep Purple, Focus, Souther Hillman Furay Band, James Gang (11 x Quad set)..
3.) Rock & Pop Quadio set incl. Beaver & Krause, Bette Midler, Bread/David Gates, Dionne Warwick, Tony Orlando & Dawn, New Seekers, Seals & Croft (15 x Quad set)..
4.) Jazz, Big Band & Crooners Quadio set including Alice Coltrane, Fats Domino, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Frank Sinatra, Modern Jazz Quartet (12 x Quad set)..
5.) Prog & Experimental Quadio set including Absolute Elsewhere, Deaf School, Kraftwerk, Passport, Stardrive (Robert Mason), Frank Zappa (7 x Quad set)..
6.) Country,Folk & Singer/Songwriter Quadio set including Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Maria Muldaur, Jackson Browne, Randy Newman, Ralph McTell, Carly Simon, James Taylor (17 x Quad set)..

Then a follow-on question would be (going back to individual artist/band Quadio box sets) regarding IF Warner owns the rights to Capitol acts like
Al Green (with 8 x Quads in total; 7 albums + 1 Hits comp)

..and who now owns the Grunt catalogue?
Would make a nice 12 x Quad album Boxset..
Hot Tuna (5 x Quads),
Jefferson Airplane (3 x Quads),
Jefferson Starship (3 x Quads),
Kantner & Slick (1 x Quad)..

..and Arista Quads would come under which label now?
(Eric Carmen, Barry Manilow, Melissa Manchester, Tony Orlando & Dawn Hits, Outlaws, Brecker Brothers.. 9 Quads in all? Make a nice box too..)

Lotta Quad lagniappe in Warner's vaults, I imagine.. and if box sets of one particular artist are a no-go, Rhino could do Quadio sets on a theme, maybe along the lines of..

1.) Soul/R&B Quadio set comprising of Average White Band, Donny Hathaway, Graham Central Station, Herbie Mann, Spinners, Roberta Flack (11 x Quad set)..
2.) Hard Rock Quadio set comprising Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Deep Purple, Focus, Souther Hillman Furay Band, James Gang (11 x Quad set)..
3.) Rock & Pop Quadio set incl. Beaver & Krause, Bette Midler, Bread/David Gates, Dionne Warwick, Tony Orlando & Dawn, New Seekers, Seals & Croft (15 x Quad set)..
4.) Jazz, Big Band & Crooners Quadio set including Alice Coltrane, Fats Domino, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Frank Sinatra, Modern Jazz Quartet (12 x Quad set)..
5.) Prog & Experimental Quadio set including Absolute Elsewhere, Deaf School, Kraftwerk, Passport, Stardrive (Robert Mason), Frank Zappa (7 x Quad set)..
6.) Country,Folk & Singer/Songwriter Quadio set including Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Maria Muldaur, Jackson Browne, Randy Newman, Ralph McTell, Carly Simon, James Taylor (17 x Quad set)..

Then a follow-on question would be (going back to individual artist/band Quadio box sets) regarding IF Warner owns the rights to Capitol acts like

Hot Tuna (5 x Quads),

(Eric Carmen, Barry Manilow, Melissa Manchester, Tony Orlando & Dawn Hits, Outlaws, Brecker Brothers.. 9 Quads in all? Make a nice box too..)

AFAIK, Universal owns the Capital catalogue, while Sony owns both the Grunt and Arista catalogues.
Plus, I have said it before, but I think that multi-artists collections like that are not only a terrible but a very unrealistic idea, for several reasons, which I will be happy to go more in-depth with very soon.

Hot Tuna (5 x Quads),

As Visions of Sugar Plums Danced in HIS Head.

Adam, what brand of tobacco:yikes have you been stuffing in your langniapipe, Son?

Love your enthusiasm but your WISHLIST would surely render those poor engineers @ Rhino mentally bowlegged.

ALL GREAT titles, one and all but if we could only get 1/10th of those titles released, I'd consider it a coups!

AFAIK, Universal owns the Capital catalogue, while Sony owns both the Grunt and Arista catalogues.
Plus, I have said it before, but I think that multi-artists collections like that are not only a terrible but a very unrealistic idea, for several reasons, which I will be happy to go more in-depth with very soon.

Well.. you tell me how are Rhino gonna sneak out that Average White Band garbage unless they bundle it in with some masterpiece by Tony Orlando & Dawn..? ;) ;)

As Visions of Sugar Plums Danced in HIS Head.

Adam, what brand of tobacco:yikes have you been stuffing in your langniapipe, Son?

Love your enthusiasm but your WISHLIST would surely render those poor engineers @ Rhino mentally bowlegged.

ALL GREAT titles, one and all but if we could only get 1/10th of those titles released, I'd consider it a coups!

Chesterfield Kings.. (and plenty of java) :smokin

Ok, Ralph, so I dared to dream of multi-artist Quadio box sets and wound up in a nightmare few could handle, let alone Rhino's "top men".. :eek:

Bah.. I only WANT 1/10th of those titles anyway.. So sue me! :p
(Actually that's not true, I'd love about half of them.. but don't tell Ryan or he'll think/know I've finally lost the plot.. ;) )

Again we're getting way off course. You guys are gonna make me work on a holiday and move all of these posts again?

The Chicago talk has just about run its course, and probably so has this thread. If someone wants to make a new thread for suggestions for other box sets, be my guest. Let's try and keep what's left of this thread's limited life span about the Chicago Quadio 9 Disc Box set, K?

K?

Well.. you tell me how are Rhino gonna sneak out that Average White Band garbage unless they bundle it in with some masterpiece by Tony Orlando & Dawn..? ;) ;)

Through Audio Fidelity, of course, or a very limited stand-alone release.
(Yeah I know neither one of those things will probably ever happen, but neither will the multi-artist approach.)

Again we're getting way off course. You guys are gonna make me work on a holiday and move all of these posts again?

The Chicago talk has just about run its course, and probably so has this thread. If someone wants to make a new thread for suggestions for other box sets, be my guest. Let's try and keep what's left of this thread's limited life span about the Chicago Quadio 9 Disc Box set, K?

K?

Instead of a new thread there is a place designed for random thoughts...it's called ALL ABOUT MUSIC...it's the swiss army knife thread...it's right here...that keeps specific topics on point and also prevents a lot of needless threads:)

Instead of a new thread there is a place designed for random thoughts...it's called ALL ABOUT MUSIC...it's the swiss army knife thread...it's right here...that keeps specific topics on point and also prevents a lot of needless threads:)

Actually, on the contrary, I think a thread (tentatively) entitled "The Future of Quadio (and Release Suggestions)" would be an excellent way to move some of this talk into a single thread. Heck, maybe a poll could even be attached so users can vote on their favorite albums and catalogues that they would love to see future Quadio releases for! I'll get it on it very soon! :)

Actually, on the contrary, I think a thread (tentatively) entitled "The Future of Quadio (and Release Suggestions)" would be an excellent way to move some of this talk into a single thread. Heck, maybe a poll could even be attached so users can vote on their favorite albums and catalogues that they would love to see future Quadio releases for! I'll get it on it very soon! :)

Let me ask you this...what happens when that thread goes off topic?...are you going to start another thread...and then another thread..and another thread...because that is what happens.....the search function on vbulletin is bad enough...but all these threads makes it even harder to actually find something you want...you know from past experience that all these things start out with the best intentions..that was the purpose of a non-specific thread...it can serve various masters..

While both Ryan and Clint's suggestions are commendable, before we start jumping the gun regarding future Quadio releases from Warner/Rhino, I REALLY wish we'd receive some CONCRETE input from Rhino regarding THEIR intentions regarding future Quadio/5.1 releases.

Was the Chicago Quadio boxset a one off or does it really signal interest from R/W in pursuing future BD~A quadio boxsets.

The best laid schemes of mice and men often go astray and I think we're all being a little presumptious in assuming that this cornucopia will continue.

At least Audio Fidelity's Marshall Blonstein HAS indicated that their QUAD release schedule will be somewhat curtailed and wouldn't it be nice if one of the Rhino execs visited this website and possibly clued us in as to THEIR future intentions, as well.

While both Ryan and Clint's suggestions are commendable, before we start jumping the gun regarding future Quadio releases from Warner/Rhino, I REALLY wish we'd receive some CONCRETE input from Rhino regarding THEIR intentions regarding future Quadio/5.1 releases.

Was the Chicago Quadio boxset a one off or does it really signal interest from R/W in pursuing future BD~A quadio boxsets.

The best laid schemes of mice and men often go astray and I think we're all being a little presumptious in assuming that this cornucopia will continue.

At least Audio Fidelity's Marshall Blonstein HAS indicated that their QUAD release schedule will be somewhat curtailed and wouldn't it be nice if one of the Rhino execs visited this website and possibly clued us in as to THEIR future intentions, as well.

Let me reprise my role as Billy Buzzkill....the official statement has been that there are no other plans for another...BUT...that means little on here...just saying...others interpret that as being a diversion from the covert plans that are underway at a secret underground laboratory..very hush..hush...you know...if they told you they will have to kill you...secret agent type of "stuff"...for your eyes only...the name is Bond...James Bond...or was it Bon Jovi...I forget:)

Let me ask you this...what happens when that thread goes off topic?...are you going to start another thread...and then another thread..and another thread...because that is what happens.....the search function on vbulletin is bad enough...but all these threads makes it even harder to actually find something you want...you know from past experience that all these things start out with the best intentions..that was the purpose of a non-specific thread...it can serve various masters..

So you really think that a non-specific thread like "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" helps users find what they are looking for? To me it's just a jumble of everything and yet nothing. As a matter of fact, sometimes the posts in that thread are not even about music at all. It really could just be called "Random Shite", because sometimes that is really what it is.
I will admit it's a great thread for posting random thoughts and news about music, and I do it all the time, but sometimes it really is best to collect all discussion on a single topic into one coherent thread and not drag down other threads with off-topic discussion, just like we are doing right now…

Let me reprise my role as Billy Buzzkill....the official statement has been that there are no other plans for another...BUT...that means little on here...just saying...others interpret that as being a diversion from the covert plans that are underway at a secret underground laboratory..very hush..hush...you know...if they told you they will have to kill you...secret agent type of "stuff"...for your eyes only...the name is Bond...James Bond...or was it Bon Jovi...I forget:)

I don't construe your post as BUZZKILL but as a voice of reason, especially considering that work on the Chicago Quadio set commenced in February of 2015 and took well over a year to reach fruition. Ok, so it WAS a one off release and caught us all off guard (and pleasantly so).

Sure, we ALL dream big at QQ and want this treasure trove to go on FOREVER but as realists should know, it just ain't so.

Now if Clinty Buzzkill and Debbie Downer were to meet in a dark alley............... ?

So you really think that a non-specific thread like "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" helps users find what they are looking for? To me it's just a jumble of everything and yet nothing. As a matter of fact, sometimes the posts in that thread are not even about music at all. It really could just be called "Random Shite", because sometimes that is really what it is.
I will admit it's a great thread for posting random thoughts and news about music, and I do it all the time, but sometimes it really is best to collect all discussion on a single topic into one coherent thread and not drag down other threads with off-topic discussion, just like we are doing right now…

Let me clarify...that thread isn't for "specific" topics...and thus isn't suitable for the internet searches...that's the whole point..and even if it's not ALWAYS about music it serves a purpose..people are going to post "off topic" subjects...it's a fact and ignoring that fact just leads to problems..that thread keeps it condensed and under control so the factual threads aren't fragmented by off topic posts...we are human and it happens..what you want to make a searchable thread isn't a fact based thread...it's a "speculation" thread...it's not about an upcoming release...remember all the complaints about the Tales thread...how it was just speculation and how it would somehow confuse somebody doing an internet search(which I thought was silly)...this is the same thing...and this idea of a poll for something that isn't even a possibility right now certainly seems a reach...if you want to start a thread it's no problem with me....I'm not a Mod and don't have to police yet another thread...

Just remember that we are a "friendly" community and members here like to engage in "small talk"...we aren't robots...we like to converse with each other and it's not always about music and it's not always "on topic"....so it might be "Random Shite" to you but to others it's a place where they can post something that might not fall in the right category or be off topic and not worry about hijacking some thread....like I said...I have no objection to you creating as many threads as you like...but if the so called premise is providing appropriate threads for internet searches...I can't see how that would quality...just my opinion:)

Back