Chicago VII

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
A search of the archives brought up a goose egg on this album........is this Chicago double LP a fairly rare item? (relatively speaking among Chicago releases...) and, how is the mix on this one for those who have it? I'm referring to the SQ LP rather than the Q8. Thanks. John S.

I no longer log in weekly ebay sessions scouring through all the quad listings, but past experience tells me that the SQ version is one of the harder to find Chicago albums. My theory is that its "quadness" often eludes the seller listing it because the front cover doesn't have any mention of quad on it. I'm guessing that there was a sticker afixed to the front when it was brand new.

The q8 mix is a typical Chicago mix--very well spead out. The SQ version is the same mix as the q8, just less discrete.

Here's more from the archives:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...hicago-Chicago-VI-SQ-Q8&highlight=chicago+vii

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...II-LP-Test-Press...Quad&highlight=chicago+vii

.....so it sounds like I would either need to inspect the disc labels or ask a Seller for the release number in order to confirm it as the quadraphonic SQ version

Yes, typical Columbian gold SQ labels.

Longer fades on some cuts. Not many differences. The same mix with missing guitar is also on the Greatest Hits LP (Chicago IX). This is a tough one to track down. I got one near mint on ebay a few years ago for 100.00 US.

CHICAGO IX is the easiest of Chicago quad's to find, for the logical reason that it was issued around the same time as the album went to #1, so plenty of copies were pressed. The Chicago 2-Lp sets are tough to find in quad, V and VI less so, but for original albums, from VII on it's tough going, though they are more uncommon than rare. They're also, IIRC, all customized-for-quad (more or less) covers, no gold band around them like the first few years of Columbia quad Lp's.

What a box set that would make, huh?

ED :)

The Chicago 2-Lp sets are tough to find in quad, V and VI less so, but for original albums, from VII on it's tough going, though they are more uncommon than rare. They're also, IIRC, all customized-for-quad (more or less) covers, no gold band around them like the first few years of Columbia quad Lp's.

What a box set that would make, huh?

ED :)
Here's mine: 2010-04-05 18.46.35.jpg2010-04-05 18.47.05.jpg2010-04-05 18.45.25.jpg2010-04-05 18.52.05.jpg

Back