Classic Prog Rock Surround Releases (Definitive?) Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all.

I wanted to compile a list of all of the classic prog rock releases available in surround on a digital format (DVD-A/V, SACD, BDA). Here's what I've got:

Barclay James Harvest
Once Again (DVD-V)

Caravan
In the Land of Grey & Pink (DVD-V)

Electric Light Orchestra
Electric Light Orchestra (First Light) (DVD-V)

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (DVD-A)
Tarkus (DVD-A)
Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-A/SACD)
(Trilogy Coming...)

Genesis
1970-1975 Box: Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (SACD/DVD-V)
1976-1982 Box: A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three, Duke, Abacab (SACD/DVD-V)
1983-1998 Box: Genesis, Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance, Calling All Stations (SACD/DVD-V)

Gentle Giant
Free Hand (DVD-V)
Interview (DVD-V)

Hawkwind
Warrior on the Edge of Time (DVD-A)

Jethro Tull
Aqualung (BDA/DVD-V)
Thick as a Brick (DVD-V)
(Benefit & A Passion Play Coming...)

King Crimson
In The Court of the Crimson King (DVD-A)
In The Wake of Poseidon (DVD-A)
Lizard (DVD-A)
Islands (DVD-A)
Larks Tongues in Aspic (DVD-A/BDA)
Starless & Bible Black (DVD-A)
Red (DVD-A)
Discipline (DVD-A)
(Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, & THRAK Coming...)

The Moody Blues
Days of Future Passed (SACD)
On the Threshold of a Dream (SACD)
To Our Children's Children's Children (SACD)
A Question of Balance (SACD)
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (SACD)
Seventh Sojourn (SACD)
(All above surround mixes available on DVD(-V ?) in the "Timeless Flight" box set)

Nektar
A Journey to the Centre of the Eye (SACD)
Remember the Future (SACD)

Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon (SACD/BDA)
Wish You Were Here (SACD/BDA)

Ray Thomas (from The Moody Blues)
From Mighty Oaks (DVD-V)

RUSH
Fly By Night (DVD-A)
2112 (DVD-A/BDA)
A Farewell to Kings (DVD-A)
Moving Pictures (DVD-A/BDA)
Signals (DVD-A)

Tony Banks (from Genesis)
A Curious Feeling (DVD-V)

Yes
Fragile (DVD-A/SACD)
Magnification (DVD-A)

If there are any I missed, respond back & I'll add them! :)

Last edited:
You may (or may not) want to add these in:

Yes - Magnification (DVD-A)
Ray Thomas - From Mighty Oaks (DVD-V)
Tony Banks - A curious Feeling (DVD-V)

There is also a Live Nektar SACD....

Nektar: Live in New York
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/2485

Yes, I know about that one, but I think I'll keep the first post list to just studio releases and not worry about the live ones for now, cause otherwise I could also add the Genesis Live Box (with Genesis Live, Seconds Out, and Live at the Rainbow)

Yes, I know about that one, but I think I'll keep the first post list to just studio releases and not worry about the live ones for now, cause otherwise I could also add the Genesis Live Box (with Genesis Live, Seconds Out, and Live at the Rainbow)
And Hawkwind - Space Ritual... :eek:

Since you're tracking different formats, you may (or may not) want to add the Moodies' DTS CD releases (Days of Future Passed, Seventh Sojourn)

I don't know if Super Furry Animals
or Flaming Lips are anywhere near approaching prog?

what about the BD-A of Storm Corrosion?

Mike Oldfield!?

or any of the Kraut rock stuff (Can? Kraftwerk?)..!?

any Alan Parsons solo surround?!

..maybe I'm off the mark with any/all of that!? :eek:

I'm not good at pigeon-holing music, I'm open to all forms of it! even if I prefer certain genres to others!?! :mad:@:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - From the Front Row - Live DVD-A
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Isle of Wight Live 8/29/70 DVD-V DualDisc
David Gilmour - On An Island DVD-V (bonus disc w/Live in Gdansk box)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick 2 DVD-V
Alan Parsons - On Air DTS CD
Roger Waters - Ca - Ira SACD 5.1
Roger Waters - In the Flesh SACD 5.1
Roger Waters - The Wall- Live SACD 5.1

All 6 Moodies on DVD-V in box set

I don't know if Super Furry Animals
or Flaming Lips are anywhere near approaching prog?

what about the BD-A of Storm Corrosion?

Mike Oldfield!?

or any of the Kraut rock stuff (Can? Kraftwerk?)..!?

any Alan Parsons solo surround?!

..maybe I'm off the mark with any/all of that!? :eek:

I'm not good at pigeon-holing music, I'm open to all forms of it! even if I prefer certain genres to others!?! :mad:@:

Mike Oldfield? Yes, that would work.
Same with Alan Parsons. :)

Although I don't do genres and other un-necessary pidgeon holing, I'm a big fan of music that's usually described as "Prog"

I would include in that list:

Pete Gabriel - Up
Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds
Moody Blues - the five SACDs
Mike Oldfield
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Porcupine Tree (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
RPWL - Stock, World Through my Eyes (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
Magenta - Seven. Metamorphosis, Chameleon (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")

Dont forget Quatermass/Quatermass in the "coming" category.

Great idea for a list btw! :)

ps you say "Benefit & A Passion Play Coming..." but according to SW theer is some doubt as to when/if these mixes will ever see light of day :(

Although I don't do genres and other un-necessary pidgeon holing, I'm a big fan of music that's usually described as "Prog"

I would include in that list:

Pete Gabriel - Up
Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds
Moody Blues - the five SACDs
Mike Oldfield
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Porcupine Tree (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
RPWL - Stock, World Through my Eyes (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
Magenta - Seven. Metamorphosis, Chameleon (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (unless they're too recent to be considered "CLASSIC")

Dont forget Quatermass/Quatermass in the "coming" category.

Great idea for a list btw! :)

ps you say "Benefit & A Passion Play Coming..." but according to SW theer is some doubt as to when/if these mixes will ever see light of day :(

ah yes! Good call! the Quatermass! glad I got my preorder in when I did, I see its gone up from approx ÂŁ10 to ÂŁ14! :yikes

re: the other SW Tull's, 'glass half empty me' says "wouldn't be the first time surround mixes in the can never make it out into the wild".. while 'glass half full me' reckons there's always a chance (HOPE SO!!!!)

I noticed the EMI/Cherry Red connection on the Hawkwind SW release.. it's a shame Cherry Red can't get their hands on the Tull back catalogue!

One black mark against Cherry Red.. (sorry for going OT but its related at least!) in the last couple of years they have released deluxe/anniversary sets of so many soul albums where there are quad mixes (O'Jays "Ship Ahoy", "360 Degrees of Billy Paul", Isley Brothers "Harvest For The World" & "Go For Your Guns") and not taken the opportunity to release the quad mixes. I doubt these albums will see physical release again so.. "That's All Folks!" :(

One black mark against Cherry Red.. (sorry for going OT but its related at least!) in the last couple of years they have released deluxe/anniversary sets of so many soul albums where there are quad mixes (O'Jays "Ship Ahoy", "360 Degrees of Billy Paul", Isley Brothers "Harvest For The World" & "Go For Your Guns") and not taken the opportunity to release the quad mixes. I doubt these albums will see physical release again so.. "That's All Folks!" :(

...the biggest travesty is that Cherry Red/Esoteric/AtomHenge (all the same people) have re-issued most of the Hawkwind back catalogue in the laster few years. Most if not all of them would have been incredible in surround, particulalry "Levitation." I'm guessing that the only reason "Warrior" got the treatment is because it's one of Mark Powell's favorite albums. I've e-mailed Vicky (Marks other half, works in marketing for Esoteric) many times asking her about surround. To be fair they're only a small outfit and getting a surround mix represents a big investment for them. I hope having to re-press the deluxe edition of Warrior has helped them "see the light" but e-mails of support won't do any harm!

btw - this is not off topic 'cos Hawkwind are "Prog!" ...at least to my ears ;)

Scary I have a great deal of those Prog Quad/5.1 discs except for Yes and Moody Blues, the Yes stuff was impossible ti find.

There is the recent Squackett album (DTS) by Steve Hackett and Chris Squire who are form the classic prog mould.

There is the recent Squackett album (DTS) by Steve Hackett and Chris Squire who are form the classic prog mould.

Forgot about that one completely despite having it. Maybe it's because the mix and content is quite frankly forgettable? ;)

...but that also reminds me that Chris Squire has stated in a recent interview that "Fish Out of Water" is being re-mixed in 5.1 so you can add that to the "coming soon..." category.

I've all of them listed so far! What about if we're only considering the stuff from the 70s,

Colosseum - The Best Of (5.1 DVD-Audio)
Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra (5.1 DVD-Audio)
Electric Light Orchestra - Electric Light Orchestra (CD & 4.1 DTS/DD DVD)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (Hybrid 5.1 SACD)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (5.1 Hybrid-SACD)
Santana - Abraxas (DVD-Audio 5.1 DTS only)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (Hybrid 5.1 SACD)
Toto - Toto IV (5.1 SACD)
Uriah Heep - Magic Night (5.1 Hybrid-SACD)
Frank Zappa - Halloween (5.1 DVD-Audio)
Frank Zappa - QuAUDIOPHILIAc (5.1 DVD-Audio)

Back