Columbia Records SQ Equipment Destruction Story & Chicago BR Box Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Didn't quite know where to post this but this on Amazon's under the new Chicago Blu-Ray box reviews. I found the story relating to Columbia Records SQ equipment destruction rather interesting and was wondering if anyone else ever heard this tale. Listed as "VERY NEARLY PERFECT" 4 Stars By Alexander D. on June 18, 2016:

Great Job in remastering all except for one disc.. (IV, Live At Carnegie, was never released in Quad. Therefore, it is not in this set.)
There are none of the (mostly) extra tracks and alternate takes which Rhino included on the remastered releases of the last decade. There were bonuses on II, and V through X (and most of XI though XX, as well). This, for some, may be an irritation, but, then again, these gems were never originally released, let alone in QUAD! (Thanks to Lee Loughnane's personal oversight of the last decades' Rhino re-releases, we have these fine bonus materials. Some are fantastic. Try VIII. The extras, shine!)

As I maintain, the remastering is outstanding on all but one album. (I'll explain. You'll learn about it later, Dear Reader.) Some background. Quad media was competing and confusing galaxy of formats and each format required its' dedicated decoder. Systems were utterly incompatible with each other. There were systems such as SQ, QS, Discrete (Warner and others), etc. Think about VHS/BETA, and make it even more complicated and you'll get the notion of how the consumer was baffled. That was the world of Quad in the 1970's. CBS/Columbia released the same as this 2016 set in two Quad formats, individually, in the early-to-mid 1970's.. The Columbia LP's were "matrix" quad, known as "SQ". Yes, there were 4 channels, but the 4, or quad, was not truly pure or "discrete'...not really separate. There was much cross-channel mixing of the four channels. Columbia also released the same on 8-Track cassette...remember those? Remarkably, the four channels were truly discrete. If you had a 8-track quad system and added noise/hiss reduction gear, such as was produced by Phase-Linear and added a decent expander/compander into the system (such as made by DBX, et al.) you would have had a truly amazing aural experience, back in the day.
Columbia pressed only a very few of X on LP Matrix/SQ. The few out there are test pressings and they are rare!!! The 8-track version of X was truly discrete quad and was widely available.
X was to be the last of the Chicago Quadraphonic releases. (The record industry gave up on Quad about 1977....Columbia/CBS destroyed all of their Quadraphonic Matrix studio equipment, soon after, in the 1980's. An acquaintance of this writer related how they literally took axes and sledgehammers to their SQ recording equipment in NYC and LA, as he had witnessed it.THIS was truly shortsighted. A tragic shame...The other major record companies followed suit, and abandoned Quad (Without the attendant violent destruction of their proprietary Quad recording equipment). What they all didn't realize or foresee was that the future of multi-channel home entertainment was about to be reignited, with its' re-Genesis, merely a decade away, in the future. The renaissance began with Laser Discs of the 90's Multi-channel is the accepted standard today for all mid and upper-end systems...It is ubiquitous. There are not just 4 (or, Quad) channels which are on a contemporary DVD, but, up to 12 discrete channels are encoded on some newer, higher budget movies!) Quad is considered quaint, now. BUT, SO MUCH great music was rendered into 4 channels for the world, in the 70's! That material can not-and should not-be ignored.
The Quad releases of the 1970's suffered from the limitations of their respective mediums: LP's had clicks, hisses, limited dynamic range, bass rumble, non-linear equalization(EQ) curves, etc. 8-Tracks were even more problematic, with high noise/hiss levels and terrible wow and flutter. High frequencies were attenuated and worse, obscured by the highest hiss levels.Some labels tried encoding Dolby B on their tapes. Consumers complained it made the music sound "dull", when the Dolby button was engaged, even though hiss was drastically reduced and Signal to Noise ratio greatly improved.. (Mercifully, clicks were an artifact of LP's, only.)
Rhino has done a magnificent job of removing most hiss from their source tapes. The Wizards at Rhino/Warner have very subtly added harmonization to certain passages- very tastefully, in my humble estimation. The tracks have received wonderful ratios of expansion. The very best? The four channels are now truly discrete...just like on those 8-Track QUAD cassettes!!!!!

My only "beef"? X sounds like it was directly copied from one of those extremely rare Matrix/SQ LP's test discs. I can't believe X was copied from the master tapes/source materials. The results would have been much better, had this been the case. (I heard "scuttlebutt" that one of the original four members of Chicago owned one of these Quad LP test pressings. That member's disc, I would wager, is the source for this release of X.)
The engineers have done an admirable job of trying to fix up their source of X. They have attempted to eliminate most of the clicks pops and hisses, but the dynamic range is lacking on the X disc. Listen, carefully, and you'll hear scratches and pops of an LP. (I was able to transfer my 8-Track/discrete copy of X to a digital medium in the early 1980's...before the acetate or, tape, deteriorated- which most all of my collection,- 8-track, cassette, reel-to-reel, did, by the mid-1990's.) My digital copy of the processed 8-track discrete quad sounds much better. It has less noise, better separation, finer "presence" and brighter EQ than the version of X, in this collection....(...and, no. I will not make anybody a copy). Otherwise, the 2016 set is amazing!
Kudos to the engineers who mastered this tome! (...except for X, of course....Nonetheless, it was a noble effort, fellows!)
If you love the great Chi albums of '69-'76 AND you have Blu-Ray player AND a decent Amp. with DTS-HD capability and integrated Bass Management AND four fine speakers, each of equal quality AND a dedicated Bass Speaker/Sub-woofer AND you want to experience some of the best, high-quality music, BOTH ARTISTICALLY WORTHY AND AS A TECHNICAL MASTERPIECE, BUY THIS SET.

You will be smiling for many, many hours, as soon as you experience this music and- for years to come... I'm not kidding... get it. before it sells out. (Blu-Ray Quad is still very much a niche thing...who knows if this particular quad re-incarnation will survive? Most recent Chicago SACD multi-channel releases (I believe these are limited to CTA/I, II, V, and VI) are OOP and command a high price on Ebay/Amazon....A curiosity: CTA/I was also released as quad,about three years ago. It sold out and it is not being re-issued.. Good luck finding it for the original release price, if you can find it at all!!!)

I bought this box and love it. I have not yet listened to X. I am up to VI right now but so far it is an amazing sounding set.

I also have CTA/! that was released 3 years ago. I pre-ordered it from Rhino. It to sounds fantastic. A great little gem. Didn't know it was so rare and sought after though.

I think we all concluded that this Amazon reviewer was a bit, well, over the top. Not sure where he got most of his info, but it's pretty shakey IMHO

This was just one of the nuggets that made me pretty suspicious of the integrity of the fellow's intel.,
(a couple of the other comments including the one regarding "X" Quad on the Quadio set being from the SQ LP, for example, made me momentarily question their sanity somewhat maybe.. but still.. you decode SQ and absolutely you get 4-channel sound to rival any discrete tape.. so I can see where they were going with that.. :ugham: )

Most recent Chicago SACD multi-channel releases (I believe these are limited to CTA/I, II, V, and VI) are OOP and command a high price on Ebay/Amazon....

This was just one of the nuggets that made me pretty suspicious of the integrity of the fellow's intel.,
(a couple of the other comments including the one regarding "X" Quad on the Quadio set being from the SQ LP, for example, made me momentarily question their sanity somewhat maybe.. but still.. you decode SQ and absolutely you get 4-channel sound to rival any discrete tape.. so I can see where they were going with that.. :ugham: )

And I think you can trace the FAILURE of the early QUAD 'experiment' to the artist's frustration that the Majors failed miserably at delivering a VALID system that could decode the four channel master tapes and the public's further frustration at NOT 'properly' being able to decode the QUAD Vinyl at home, what with the crappy pressings and shitty decoders (of the time), the promise of an expansive four channel surround experience was OUT OF EVERYONE'S REACH.

And as far as the DBX system reducing HISS........WRONG. Like Dolby b, it utilized an encode/decode system and if you tried to apply dbx processing to a source which was UNENCODED it would PUMP like a Mother.

HAD ALL THE MAJORS adopted Quad Open Reel from the get go, it would've made somewhat of a splash but because of the paucity of Commercial QUAD Open Reels compared to the thousands of SQ/QS/CD~4 Vinyl releases available at the time it barely made a dent......and the later adoption of dolby b encoded reels was a godsend......but again, TOO little, TOO LATE!

I'm sure our sonic landscape would be Surround oriented to this day if ONLY the majors did their homework instead of releasing a NOT READY FOR PRIMETIME gaggle of ridiculous competing formats to an unsuspecting public, who like myself, tired of its failure VERY quickly.

We have the technology today to do perfect QUAD/5.1/7.1/9.1 digital copies and the playback equipment to replicate it as well but the desire among the general public is almost NIL.......as Bmoura posted in another thread.....barely 15% of the population is into surround with the other 85 percent's preference for STEREO.

And as fredblue posted in the same thread: There are roughly 1100+ UNRELEASED QUAD/5.1 masters languishing in the vaults and as we ALL know.......these tapes are NOT going to last forever..........Ashes to Ashes....DUST to DUST!:nuke WHAT A WASTE!

15% of the population is not small fry, Ralph.

In a world of 7.4 billion people (that's 7,400,000,000)

15% = 1.1 billion, or = 1,110,000,000

(Just want to quash that little myth that "nobody wants surround" right there, TYVM! ;) )

15% of the population is not small fry, Ralph.

In a world of 7.4 billion people (that's 7,400,000,000)

15% = 1.1 billion, or = 1,110,000,000

(Just want to quash that little myth that "nobody wants surround" right there, TYVM! ;) )

Adam, I was just quoting Bmoura's figures. Rationally, how many people in Bangladesh are surround fanatics? Just saying.

Adam, I was just quoting Bmoura's figures. Rationally, how many people in Bangladesh are surround fanatics? Just saying.

So what you're saying is that George Harrison should have released Quad Concert for Bangladesh instead of just Concert for Bangladesh. ;)

I know Ralph, was not having a go at you at all.. :)

My point is; 15% of record buyers should be more than enough to sustain our surround music hobby (the stats are actually higher than I imagined) and yet it is seemingly not.

Hmm..

I know Ralph, was not having a go at you at all.. :)

My point is; 15% of record buyers should be more than enough to sustain our surround music hobby (the stats are actually higher than I imagined) and yet it is seemingly not.

Hmm..

I know Adam. I dont take anything seriously these days [except for a good cup of morning joe).

Perhaps the day Steve Wilson tackles the COMPLETE Beatles, Stones, Who and Led Zeppelin catalogues in 5.1 on VIRGIN* POLYCARBONATE, that 15% will suddenly take notice!

[*I wonder if there was a Virgin Megastore in Bangladesh???????]

I know Adam. I dont take anything seriously these days [except for a good cup of morning joe).

Perhaps the day Steve Wilson tackles the COMPLETE Beatles, Stones, Who and Led Zeppelin catalogues in 5.1, that 15% will suddenly take notice!

We'll get SW 5.1's of the complete Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin when half of us here are dead and the other half deaf.. its a bitter pill to swallow and of course I DO want all that here and now in surround.. but I'm not fussed about all that right right right now, this minute, I'm focussing on all the great Quads that are rotting in the vaults of the majors and getting them reissued, out there, preserved.. whatever.

We'll get SW 5.1's of the complete Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin when half of us here are dead and the other half deaf.. its a bitter pill to swallow and of course I DO want all that here and now in surround.. but I'm not fussed about all that right right right now, this minute, I'm focussing on all the great Quads that are rotting in the vaults of the majors and getting them reissued, out there, preserved.. whatever.

Adam, instead of fussing/neurosing over what's NOT available, I've actually been going through my thousands of older QUAD/5.1 TREASURES and rediscovering them in a new light. My system has NEVER sounded better, my new disc treatments are the TITS and it's like hearing some of them for the first time.

Love The ONES you're already WITH!:51banana:

Adam, instead of fussing/neurosing over what's NOT available, I've actually been going through my thousands of older QUAD/5.1 TREASURES and rediscovering them in a new light. My system has NEVER sounded better, my new disc treatments are the TITS and it's like hearing some of them for the first time.

Love The ONES you're already WITH!:51banana:

I've loved all the ones to death that I'm ever gonna love, Ralph.. I need to hear MORE new (old) stuff in tip top quality..!!! :D

Back