Comments Inspired By Stewart, Al - YEAR OF THE CAT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not overly familiar with this album, I knew the hits, Year of the Cat and On the Border but nothing else. After the hangover of 2020 excess of excellent surround releases and noting in my cart, but Steven Wilson's long delayed "2020" release, I had to imbibe of some hair of the dog for 2020. This just happened to be a cat.

The set arrived during lunch, so the home office moved to my listening area. What a great afternoon. I've listened to the album three times today, with each liter better than the previous. As mentioned, I was not familiar with most of the album, but I am growing to love these songs and Stewart's style. The stories and the music are great. I also love the light touch, This is not an album that wears you down. The playing is great and not overbearing. I am refreshed after listening and ready for another trip though Mr. Stewart's universe.

Sonically the the DTS sounds great to me. The instruments are crisp and sound like they should. The mix is amazing. For a 45yo album it is great to have the original producer produce the 5.1 mix. Parsons' mix is amazing. Immersive and discrete without being showy.

The materials that come with the package are good too. I haven't read through the book yet, but look forward to the essay. the only gripe would be the disc holder. another 1/2" - 3/4" of depth to sink the discs into and the set would be perfect.

Going with a 10.
Nice review. :) Mine got delivered late yesterday when I was occupied with soccer on TV.Looking forward to listening this afternoon.:cool:

Back