Concord SACDs on sale!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my order in...

Ray Charles: Ray Sings, Basie Swings (63679)
Poncho Sanchez: Conga Blue (SACD-1013-6)
Junior Wells: Come On In This House (63395)
LAGQ: Guitar Heroes (60598)
LAGQ: Latin (60593)
Hiromi: Brain (63600)
Stan Getz: Pure Getz (SACD-1000-6)
Nnenna Freelon: Shaking Free (SACD-1012-6)
Spyro Gyra: The Deep End (HUSA9085)
Ray Brown Trio: Summer Wind- Live At The Loa (SACD-1027-6)

Total: $113.24 for 10 SACDs, delivered to my doorstep. Looking forward to these, the other CMG titles I have are great! :phones

Mark Z

The Good (Part I):

Got mine several days ago (very fast shipping). I gave my wife The Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas SACD as an early Christmas gift (she loves choral music being in choirs herself through the years). She was very happy. (y)

I've been too busy lately (aside from having to return this one) to get to the other SACDs. Since I can only listen to stereo at the moment, I'm not sure you guys would find the reviews relevant anyway! :D

The Bad:

We started listening to the SACD stereo layer (sorry! ;)) and got to 3:09 on the fourth track when a loud low-frequency burst came out of the speakers followed by silence. It kicked the receiver into protection mode and the receiver shut off. Ugh! Luckily we weren't playing the disc at reference level! It turns out tracks 5-15 start with the same low-frequency burst then play nothing but silence. Needless to say I returned the disc for replacement.

The Good (Part II):

Telarc received the SACD today and I got a phone call from a Paul Blakemore. The way he started the conversation I was afraid he was going to tell me the disc played fine for him. Instead, he proceeded to tell me it didn't work for him either and he was going to run over to the warehouse to grab a few more to test. Apparently the discs were recently pressed and Telarc is afraid they have a whole batch of these discs that are defective.

Paul was very gracious and promised to continue to keep me posted over the phone. If it is a bad pressing they have to run off a new batch obviously and I may have to wait a few weeks. Oh well, it happens, what can I do. I was very impressed with the level of personal attention to this situation, however.

Again, my kudos to Telarc for their customer service. Thought everyone would like to know about the CS and the potentially bad pressings in case anyone was considering a purchase. I'll follow up when I hear back from Paul. Hopefully for their sake it's just my disc.

Anybody else order this disc recently?

Best,
Josh

Hello Josh,

Thanks for the warning! I have not ordered "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas," but it's in my shopping cart.

Thanks Again. (y)

Indeed thanks for the heads-up. Got to see the whole list and made 10 selections. All on sale, an additional 10% off, free shipping, and no tax.
Ken

BTW, their customer service is superb! Had about 16 things ordered including a Telarc organ Sacd which I forgot I already had. Emailed them, and the aforementioned Brandi said no problem, just send it back and pick out something else....it arrived today with no shipping charge merely days after sending the return.... amazing in today's marketplace.

Received my two Ray Charles cd's yesterday and had a chance to listen to them last night. That "Ray Sings, Basie Swings" is a pretty amazing piece of work. You would certainly never suspect that his vocals were recorded years earlier. My only problem with my shipment was that they arrived in a pretty flimsy bubble lined envelope. So, of course, the larger jewel case was broken at the hinges. But other than that, a very positive experience.

I think the "broken case" thing has happened to us all. Probably the best thing to do is send a note back to the supplier. Maybe a seed will be planted and they'll do better next time. Nothing to lose.

Well, it obviously took a while, but Telarc received a new batch of SACDs (so anyone interested in ordering A Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas can do so without reservation!). Of course, Telarc came through and I finally received my replacement disc. Indeed, the original inventory of this release was defective! Every disc! They had to order up a whole new pressing from the manufacturer (Sony), print additional booklets/inserts, etc.

Long story short. . .as compensation for my troubles, Telarc offered to send me two free discs of my choice! (I KNEW that wishlist on sa-cd.net would come in handy!) How about that!? Talk about refreshing! For two free SACDs, it was certainly worth the wait/hassle.

Kudos again to Concord/Telarc!

Best,
Josh

PS - The free discs I chose were: :banana:

Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - The Big Picture [Hybrid MC SACD]
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Keystone 3 [Hybrid MC SACD]

hey how is the surround mix on Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Keystone 3 [Hybrid MC SACD]
I've almost bought that a few times

hey how is the surround mix on Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Keystone 3 [Hybrid MC SACD]
I've almost bought that a few times

Hey Solaris,

I literally just got the disc yesterday and I've not had a chance to give it a listen. When I do I'll be sure to post my opinions. (In fact, I've received a lot of new SACDs/DVD-As/DTS-CDs lately and I'm behind). I based my decision to choose Keystone 3 off the reviews at sa-cd.net and the fact that I have always been a fan of the Marsalis family.

Best,
Josh

Back