Correct way to connect a Tate to a 7001?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I guess I've never really hooked up my Tate to my 7001 until recently. I noticed when I hooked it up to the tape mon. that the levels going into the Tate were reduced. When I turned off the tape mon. the levels looked normal. I tried different input & output variations and non seems to correct the problem. I never had a problems running my Tate using my 7500 or any other receiver. Maybe this a common problem with this receiver, because it doesn't have as many input and outputs as the 7500 or the 9001. Could is it have something to do with a lack of stereo out?

Actually the 7001 has more 4 channel connections than a 9001, 2 - 4 channel tape loops and 1 - 4 channel aux.
I have a 6001 and a 7001 and my tate II is connected to the Tape 2 loop and I have not noticed any issues. I do need to adjust the input knob on the TateII depending if the input is LP(lower signal level) or CD/aux(higher signal level). On my TateII, the output knob (rightmost) is always turned all the way to 11 (actually I back off to 10).

"When I turned off the tape mon. the levels looked normal."
The output signal is always sent to tape mon output but the tape mon input is bypassed when switched out(button not pressed).

Vinylguy4

Actually the 7001 has more 4 channel connections than a 9001, 2 - 4 channel tape loops and 1 - 4 channel aux.
I have a 6001 and a 7001 and my tate II is connected to the Tape 2 loop and I have not noticed any issues. I do need to adjust the input knob on the TateII depending if the input is LP(lower signal level) or CD/aux(higher signal level). On my TateII, the output knob (rightmost) is always turned all the way to 11 (actually I back off to 10).

"When I turned off the tape mon. the levels looked normal.ll"
The output signal is always sent to tape mon output but the tape mon input is bypassed when switched out(button not pressed).

Vinylguy4

Vinylguy you are correct the 7001 does have more 4 channel connections than a 9001. I was thinking of my old 7500, it has more than both.
My problem is that I have to turn the Tate input all the way up to get the lights to show that I'm getting full signal strength. If I turn the tape monitor that I'm plugged into off I get full signal strength. It's almost like the Tate is shorting it self out when it's making a full circuit in the 7001. I'll keep playing with it!

Well, I finally remembered that by adjusting the CD-4 separation on the 7001 I can bring up the levels on the Tate. Except when I do the 7001 starts clipping. By now I should be an old hand at this but, how do you experts run your 7001's or similar systems?

After spending some more time listening to my SQ albums converted by the wonderful Tab Patterson, I've come to the conclusion that running the CD-4 separation all the way up ROCKS! That's what I get for not having run the Tate for awhile.

Speaking of Tab, has anyone heard from him lately? He seems to be MIA. His website list hasn't been updated in ages.

Rick

Back