David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust classic in 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
So I was laying on the floor to fix my back from overdoing with all the woodcutting yesterday. Why not put in that 5.1 SACD of Ziggy Startdust that arrived this afternoon?

I'll tell you I started smiling big right away; this with the ears near the floor not critically checking the spatial nature of the mix. Just lots of really well written well played music that seemed incredibly open. When you sit up and check it out it's unbelievable. You may have forgotten how good it was and can't believe how much greater it is in this presentation. An old friend turns up...literally.

I won't say it's a no-nonsense mix all the way through, but it is 85% of the time. It's the rare magic of preserving the familiar elements, making sense and taking chances that do pay off. Some things would not have been possible with that studio gear, there's a few minor thrills in here.

It's not really light on bass, just mixed to the order of the day. You can always take it to modern excess if you feel the need to up the sub a bit.

It was $13.29 from CD Universe and SUCH a fun purchase on so many levels. This is such a nice preview of great things to come from the rock classics catalog, given the mix used here is used as a model for releases of that period at least.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Cue the banana!

:51banana:

I agree with this 100%. The quality is incredible considering that past versions were not that great. I find it mixed quite well. Lots of everything across the frequency spectrum. There is no hiss apparent. The top end does not to be affected at all from removing any hiss that was there. This is one of those titles that sound great on low volume but sound absolutely fantastic cranked way up. The note on the back of the disc box, "To Be Played At Maximum Volume" should be heeded. Now how about those other 2 that came out? Hmm.......................

After being disappointed in the sound quality of even the most recent CD Remaster, I had low hopes for the quality of this SACD. I can say that my fears were unwarranted, this is an great SACD. You can tell right away when in "five years" the drums start in the rears and work there way to the front that it is going to be a superb surrond mix. Buy this immediately even if you are not a huge Bowie fan. Great album, great mix.

Gave this one a spin tonight as well, and I totally dig it. This, like "Tommy", is an old favorite and I've been looking forward to hearing it. Unlike "Tommy", however, "Ziggy Stardust" is very faithful to the original stereo mix yet offers a very engaging and satisfying surround-sound experience. Also, unlike "Tommy", "Ziggy" has not been subject to a heavy NR hand. It is brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable! Right on! I hope titles like these keep on comin'! (y)

I was disappointed to learn the new "Scary Monsters" SACD does not offer a surround mix. That one almost begs for the surround treatment more than "Ziggy" (but not quite, I'm happy they chose "Ziggy"!)

Cai Campbell said:
I was disappointed to learn the new "Scary Monsters" SACD does not offer a surround mix. That one almost begs for the surround treatment more than "Ziggy" (but not quite, I'm happy they chose "Ziggy"!)

Amen. I'd pay good money to hear "Ashes to Ashes" or "Up the Hill Backwards" in surround. Bring it on!

Is it just me or does this dics sound thinner as you go on.
Just listen to the drums on the first track and listen to them on the last 3 tracks.

Back