Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like this is another of the discs where it depends a lot on what equipment you play it on. My impression is that the Atmos mix is the best version of Machine head i have heard. At first when Highway star started i felt that there wasn´t enough happening in the rears. But soon everything was just perfect. And there is more bass on this than all the other versions i have heard.
I have always felt that the extra 5.a mix of Lazy has been the best from this album. But i think the Atmos mix is even better much because of the excellent bass. Hopefully this is the last version of this album i have to buy. Compared to other boxsets i don´t even find this to be very expensive. I don´t need the vinyl but that is my only complaint
I agree that tracks like Smoke on the Water have lots of bass in the ATMOS but don't quite have that chugging effect you get with the U.K. version. I also don't like some of the elements that have been brought out in the ATMOS version. Play them back to back. The Quad is just more satisfying and the bass sounds more natural. The ATMOS is fun to listen to but it wouldn't be my go to version for "serious" listening.

Last edited:
After listening to all the mixes of "Lazy" for example, I find that the Quad SACD still is the standout. The rest are not really required as the SACD is close to perfect.
While the SACD has always been my "go to" version, I like the new mix even though I'm only listening in 5.1.

i loooove a good gratuitous pan if it makes sense in the context of the music and the mix but there were a couple of points last night (listening in 7.2.4) where there was so much panning going on it was making me feel physically quite queasy!! 😩🤦‍♀️

no wonder when Gillan and Glover heard the remix they went "what?!" since that was my thoughts as well (although with expletives deleted!!) 😅😆
“WTF” requires no explanation Adam!

I have finished listening to the new Blu Ray Atmos mix.
Blu Ray Rip-MKV file. 24bit 48Khz. DR's are 12, 13, 14's, 15, 16. 17 as a whole.
I am listening as always with ATMOS recordings HDMI out of PC to AVR.
My listening volume was 85db.
Hmm, I am not in the QQ camp of negativity about this mix.
I do understand on QQ it is sometimes cool to be focused on what's wrong, that's just not me.
This is a real great Atmos mix. Heights are full on all the time, when things go discrete and swirling it is the 5.1 bed that has all the action.
The mix is typical of most GOOD Atmos mixes.
The center channel was hard for me to figure out the style of the mixer. The vocals are straight up phantom center at front. The actual center channel speaker moves a lot, from nothing, to be used at full mostly with the front soundstage, not necessarily the center vocal.
Regarding the bass, my opinion is it is quite adequate, just listen to the bass solo on track 3.
My front and rear subs, LFE connected where highly active. My center channel sub, connected to amp posts, not LFE, not so active, but that is usually the case.
I found no reason to adjust my subs to fit just this recording.
All of us here at QQ at times need to fiddle with our settings, and maybe for some turning up LFE/Volume on subs might help.

I hope my analogy helps some on QQ with my observations.

I’ve “remixed” this headline from Blabbermouth. (https://blabbermouth.net/news/dweez...purples-machine-head-for-super-deluxe-edition)

Yes, this is really, really childish. But I feel better now.

Machine-Head-Dweezil.jpg

1711902077906.jpeg

Hmmm… Honestly, to my ears, the album sounds best on the Pearce & Wortham 2024 Remaster on CD1 - the Atmos and Quad are often good fun, with lots of fresh/interesting details, if ultimately a bit disappointing. Especially on not conveying the full weight of the music. But the Remaster (not the remix) is best at capturing the collective power of the band together, particularly underpinned by the depth and dexterity of Glover & Paice. Maybe, ultimately, the band got it right the first time?

Hmmm… Honestly, to my ears, the album sounds best on the Pearce & Wortham 2024 Remaster on CD1 - the Atmos and Quad are often good fun, with lots of fresh/interesting details, if ultimately a bit disappointing. Especially on not conveying the full weight of the music. But the Remaster (not the remix) is best at capturing the collective power of the band together, particularly underpinned by the depth and dexterity of Glover & Paice. Maybe, ultimately, the band got it right the first time?
Thats awesome, that will be my next listen. When I ripped the discs I separated the remix and remaster and re-tagged it, cool, can't wait.

IMG_3802.jpeg

From the Machine Head Wikipedia page. The last blurb is of interest to me as it’s worded almost as if there will be an upcoming standalone release of the Blu-ray included in the box.

View attachment 104049

From the Machine Head Wikipedia page. The last blurb is of interest to me as it’s worded almost as if there will be an upcoming standalone release of the Blu-ray included in the box.
You have fallen for the Wikipedia any random stranger can edit and post any old load of bollocks.
Click on that [61] which is the citation that by rule should prove the information, and it takes you straight to Rhino's page, which makes no such statement that I can see.

My copy actually arrived yesterday, though I had a migraine, so only briefly listened. I'm not going to say a word until I can properly crank it up and see what up. I seriously doubt that I will be too disappointed by the Atmos mix. It's a different mix, so now we have several ways to listen. Take your pick.

View attachment 104049

Very poor quality writing to be not taken with even a grain of salt. Claims of the ‘72 Paris Theatre being previously unreleased was but one red flag.

You have fallen for the Wikipedia any random stranger can edit and post any old load of bollocks.
Click on that [61] which is the citation that by rule should prove the information, and it takes you straight to Rhino's page, which makes no such statement that I can see.
I know Wikipedia is not normally a reputable source. Just caught my eye and was wishful thinking on my part!

I am listening now to CD 1, 2024 Remix, then I'll morph into CD 1 2024 Remaster.
Let's see if I am good enough to have an opinion.
So far the 2024 Remix seems a little thin for lack of a better word, but it is all there, at least 3 tracks in.
But lets get the ears nice and warmed up before a conclusion.

Bear with me as I go through this box set, little chunks here and there.
I own other stereo versions and surround versions, but I am trying to listen to this a a first time listener and only focus on the merits of this new 2024 box set, fortunately I love the music and I can listen over and over.
First Listen: Atmos, happy as can be.
2nd listen: CD 1 2024 Remix, a little thin in tone. Stereo imaging superb, panning just right. Biggest disappoint was drums, just snare over and over, cymbals, where are they. Space Truckin is good, but one song does not make up for lacking drum sound.

Now I'm nervous, onto 2024 Remaster.

I highly agree with @cornwall198 (do you have Cornwall speakers),
2024 Remaster CD 1, drums are so much better. the kick left, the snare right on some tracks, the cymbals still weak but at least you can hear them. Whereas the 2024 Remix sounds thin, the 2024 Remaster sounds robust.
The sound stage moves and is not so locked in like the 2024 Remix.
When in car it will definitely be the 2024 Remaster cranked loud, oh well who gives a fuck about Tinnitus anyway.
Well that's it for today, more this week.

View attachment 104049

Seems like poor writing. Note that no mention is made that the quad mix or the blu ray as a whole is part of the super deluxe edition set.

Back