Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder who is doing the mentioned Atmos mix?

So they are tying up the US quad mix to a bigger box set, that is tied up with vinyl which is great but actually a different market.

Then putting in three tracks in 5.1 from the DVD-A which later appeared on SACD? Do I have that right?

I think they are really milking it here especially with the “In Concert” album being included. We’ve had that album in several issues already. I think it’s BBC live (two venues) which is Made in Japan type of set but with no Smoke on the Water included.

Then a ‘71 live recording, could that be exceptional?
Say it ain't so...
You gotta have Smoke On the Water or it just wont flush!
As that pun came to my mind I made myself 😂 🙈 smile! I'm almost ashamed of myself!

Shipped from Burning Shed (yesterday), if it doesn't arrive today it won't be here until Saturday with tomorrow being the Good Friday holiday.

I just received shipping notice from importcds. Hopefully, I will get it by Tuesday. Still waiting to get notice from them on AJ AI & The Missing Piece.

You might want to check again in an hour or so. My Amazon order originally said "arriving Saturday" when I checked earlier today. Now it indicates "Out for delivery". Should be here by 6:15.
It's been several hours and no updates. Even though it still says delivery by 10 pm today, I highly doubt it. It's ok, my original email said tomorrow and I'm okay with that.

I have the box set in my shopping cart over at Import, and I'm just waiting for reports on mastering / sound quality for the quad mix. As long as their is no smashed dynamics, bricked limiting, phony center or phony sub, etc. (well, ok I'll settle for center/sub if everything else checks out) then I'll click that pay button and be done with it.

If you get your copy in, please don't tell us that you got it, opened it up, looks nice and have NOT played it yet. Go drop it into the player, select the quad mix and play it for a few minutes. Drives me nuts when 5 or 6 people all say that they got it and haven't listen yet.

I reveiced the box today already. I have no time to listen to the album as a whole right now but at least I skipped through the songs. First impression is that the Atmos mix is very underwhelming, the quad mix is much better and more discrete. Question remains if this is worth the asking price...

I just placed an order - at Deep Discount had a price on MH 50th almost as low as ImportCD has, but then they are offering a 15% off discount code:
Shark Madness final coupon! Save an extra 15% on in-stock items with code MADNESS
Which brought down to the lowest price I've seen period.
And their shipping is also the lowest at $2.99.

Tossed in a couple other things I wanted in the collection, it was March Madness indeed.

$22.38 off on my order, and only $2.99 shipping, made for a good deal on all major label bootlegs and 1974 Quadraphonic BR.

I got on vinyl:
Little Feat - Electrif Lycanthrope: Live At Ultra-Sonic Studios 2LPs. and Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon - Live At Wembley Empire Pool, London, 1974

Last edited:
All The options in Europe are more expensive
I’m sorry I did not note your location. But yeah it will drop in price - might take many months to go low in EU. And no, Atmos mix is not getting brilliant reviews, not a one that I’ve seen anyway.

However, the quad mix is really nice and could really shine here. I can fork over $60 for a Deep Purple “Quadio” disc because I can tell myself that the last 12 Rhino Q titles were priced so fairly that it really evens out over the long haul.

“Machine Head” in US quad is up there imo in stature with “Paranoid” and “B$B” and “Aqualung” as most important rock albums ever mixed to quad. This is a big event, and marks a milestone in the excavation of rock quadraphonic recordings on modern disc.

Sorry I went off in a rambling run-on. But no don’t care about that Atmos mix much at all.

my importCD order says next Tuesday for delivery. Now, I Just glance at Amazon and they tempt me, yes they tempt me.... somebody stop me...I could order it now and get it this afternoon? Ughhhhhh

1711717868264.png

Back