Denon AVR-4300h Two Settings Questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
After a couple years of 5.1.2 in the house, I snuck into 5.1.4 Atmos in the office / man cave this week. Took my time on running wiring for the 4 height speakers, then found the amp assign and speaker setup and selected the configuration I now had. Okay I start dialing it in.

A few things about the AVR-X4300h remind me of the AVR-X2200 in the house. However I am transitioning from an AVR-4310, which is going on 14 years old, so that’s a big leap. Here’s what I haven’t figured out, despite looking at the owners manual.

1. After using Cable/DBS input to play with volume settings, I switched to Oppo BDP 103 with an Atmos disc. When I click Options to tweak channel volumes, the menu wont display. Switch input back to Cable/DBS, press Options and there is Channel Volume Levels just like I wanted. If I can’t access individual channel volumes (now with 4 more speakers) while listening to an Atmos disc I’m going to go crazy. Hopefully I’m just missing something as I can’t imagine this is right.

2. I used to 5 Channel Stereo mode remembered per input (Dish TV every day). Now it looks like I have to press Options, select the newer version called All Zone Stereo. Okay use more speakers in the room instead of blaring only from the front. Wait, am I going to have to re-select this EVERY day? There is an implication somewhere that modes were remembered per input. I just haven’t stumbled onto how to set that.

Any clues are appreciated.

On my Marantz, I have to have an ATMOS disc actually playing for the Options menu to display all of the speakers to adjust the speaker levels.

I believe the Mode setting automatically recalls the last setting used for each input.

Right, I realize the speaker options presented match program material. DBS defaults to Stereo so just LF and RF speakers adjustment. I had R.E.M. Automatic For The People in Atmos playing when it refused to open Options menu.

Channel Volumes access was a button the old AVR 4310 remote, I hate taking a step backwards.

Thanks for reply, I’ll see what happens when I turn it on tomorrow!

On my Marantz, I have to have an ATMOS disc actually playing for the Options menu to display all of the speakers to adjust the speaker levels.

I believe the Mode setting automatically recalls the last setting used for each input.
What Hamilton said.

Right, I realize the speaker options presented match program material. DBS defaults to Stereo so just LF and RF speakers adjustment. I had R.E.M. Automatic For The People in Atmos playing when it refused to open Options menu.

Channel Volumes access was a button the old AVR 4310 remote, I hate taking a step backwards.

Thanks for reply, I’ll see what happens when I turn it on tomorrow!

1) Sometimes, I have to turn the Oppo off and back on to get my Marantz AVR to behave when trying to play Atmos after playing some other non-Atmos fancy codec.

2) Conversely, I have to turn the Oppo off / on to get the AVR to stop reading something as Atmos when switching from an Atmos source to a non-Atmos source.

While I have not had issues getting into the 'Options' menus using the Marantz / Oppo combo, this kind of squirrely behavior may be related.

Overnight test with same results:

1. Turn on TV
2. Turn on Denon - Cable / DBS input is back in STEREO
3. Switch to Blu Ray input - DOLBY SURROUND (last mode remembered)
4. Start REM Blu Ray w/Atmos playback = Atmos
5. Press Options button = NO GO
6. Stop disc; Oppo home screen
7. Press Options button = NO GO

Thoughts:
a) All Zone Stereo is not a 'mode' to be remembered; it's an "option" that's going to go back to default (Off) when the Denon is turned off.

b) Options menu is locked out for Blu Ray input; I will check the other inputs today (I'll Rename and use a different input if that permits access)
c) If Options menu is locked out, perhaps there is a different method to access Channel Level Adjust controls permitting changes while listening?

8. Back to Cable / DBS input, press options and then Channel Level Adjust see the FULL list of all speakers! The mode from Blu Ray playback was remembered when I switched inputs. Bad news is that makes the TV full frontal stereo, even mono with the news. Not the desired effect.

Okay I'd better day job it for a while. Thank you all for your interest and suggestions.

You could try the following:
1) download the Denon app on your mobile and check if the behaviour is the same (option menu enabled or disabled).

2) use a different HDMI input. You can easily reassign and rename any HDMI on your receiver, and perhaps this behaviour is not transferred from one port to another.

3) save a backup of your settings on a USB drive and perform a factory reset. See if starting from scratch solves the problem. If not, reload your settings and try something else.

4) your receiver might have a HDMI diagnostic tool. Newer receivers have one, and it might be worth checking if the port/cable work correctly.

Although I have not experienced your issue myself, I do remember having problems with my previous Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player and the Denon x6400h. I couldn’t find a way to solve the problem so I ended up upgrading to the Panasonic BD UB9000, which does 4k and has balanced stereo outputs. Sometimes, there are small incompatibilities that cannot be fully solved.

You could try the following:
1) download the Denon app on your mobile and check if the behaviour is the same (option menu enabled or disabled).

2) use a different HDMI input. You can easily reassign and rename any HDMI on your receiver, and perhaps this behaviour is not transferred from one port to another.

3) save a backup of your settings on a USB drive and perform a factory reset. See if starting from scratch solves the problem. If not, reload your settings and try something else.

4) your receiver might have a HDMI diagnostic tool. Newer receivers have one, and it might be worth checking if the port/cable work correctly.

Although I have not experienced your issue myself, I do remember having problems with my previous Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player and the Denon x6400h. I couldn’t find a way to solve the problem so I ended up upgrading to the Panasonic BD UB9000, which does 4k and has balanced stereo outputs. Sometimes, there are small incompatibilities that cannot be fully solved.
Good suggestions, thank you. Just need some tinkering time.

You may want to try just resetting the AVR before too much troubleshooting… You can backup/restore your current configuration too…

1696442813161.jpeg

1696442946157.jpeg

Sorry, I missed @albertop suggestion above, but I’d move it up to the first choice because the AVR doesn’t appear to be working properly now…

Last edited:
Actually I’m closer to happy now. The single anomaly appears to be is Options > Channel Level Adjust settings not available for the Blu Ray input.I can report that most other inputs do allow Options menu access with appropriate choices per surround or stereo (Phono, Tuner, etc.) inputs.

I selected the DVD input; renamed it Oppo 103. Hid the Blu Ray input along with others. I consider this issue solved.

What remains is finding a way to default Cable/DBS to Multi Ch Stereo (seen on some other inputs) as it might be the same as the previous 5 Channel Stereo mode. The Option > All Zone Stereo is only a temporary measure that stops when AVR is turned off.

I registered a HEOS account today, not knowing what I’ll do with it just yet.

Thanks again for replies.

Actually I’m closer to happy now. The single anomaly appears to be is Options > Channel Level Adjust settings not available for the Blu Ray input.I can report that most other inputs do allow Options menu access with appropriate choices per surround or stereo (Phono, Tuner, etc.) inputs.

I selected the DVD input; renamed it Oppo 103. Hid the Blu Ray input along with others. I consider this issue solved.

What remains is finding a way to default Cable/DBS to Multi Ch Stereo (seen on some other inputs) as it might be the same as the previous 5 Channel Stereo mode. The Option > All Zone Stereo is only a temporary measure that stops when AVR is turned off.

I registered a HEOS account today, not knowing what I’ll do with it just yet.

Thanks again for replies.
It's great to hear that. Renaming one of the other HDMI ports was one of my suggestions, but I agree with @Hamilton59 that resetting the unit (having done a backup via USB first) could be the definitive long-term solution. Meanwhile, it's working, which is what matters.

If you haven't done it already, I would purchase the Audyssey app for your tablet, and correct your room that way. It's much better than the basic Audyssey implementation and will allow you to remove the mid-range compensation dip and input a more correct target curve (not the flat one). Audyssey is pretty spot on with levels and distances, and also good in fixing room modes at low frequencies, but this implies not using the standard settings, which are based on a flat target curve and a dip at about 2KHz. These are not correct and require the tablet app to be fixed manually. I would also use a curtain for room correction up to 1KHz or even higher, to 3/4KHz. Channel levels are calculated using these frequencies, so it's best to have them as part of the correction filter. I've been against room correction software for years, but I was wrong. It's a low-cost investment with audible improvements. I've verified what I am saying with measurements using REW, and many others have done the same, so the software is pretty reliable in my view!

Tim I'm glad you got it working better.
I had a long haul with HDMI settings recently on my Onkyo, settings I did not even know existed until I contacted support,
and can not be accessed at first through the remote, but by a button push combination on the front of the unit. Only then do the options appear on video.

These are basically the EDID settings, where you can turn off/on options e.g. Vrr, HDMI type (2.1, 1.4) and for my Oppo I set it for 1.4 and cleared all other settings so I could get video from the Oppo passed without problems. All these things these days should be "automagic" but sometimes not so much.

I also replaced every HDMI cable save one very long one to the TV with new Monoprice 8K cables in desperation before finding the settings...and eliminated an old HDMI switch that worked/didn't work/worked/didn't work. Some AVR's are very very fussy about signals passing through such devices and at least on my AVR will first show by the HDMI indicator not lighting up.

I confess I know nothing about Marantz, but with the Onkyo's I've owned sometimes either unplugging the power cable for a short while or doing a factory reset (last resort) has fixed niggling problems.

I've got very few inputs to manage anymore after years of having multiple disc changers, DAT, VCR and cassette decks (unused). This is me now:

1. Blu Ray - Oppo BDP 103 for discs and host for 5.1 FLACs off HDD
2. CBL/SAT - DISH Joey from Hopper in the house for TV/DVR

Once I figure out if I can get MULTI CH STEREO to default for the 2nd option, I'm good. If I end up having to select All Zone Stereo manually, I will survive! ;)
The Atmos AVR changeover is just part 2 in a trilogy of moves going on here. Part 1 was adding 5 near-field monitors for mixing, now facing the other end of the room. (Rear channel monitors placement tentative for now). Part 3 is moving an 88 key controller and 2nd PC out of here to the back room (drums and amps) for recording purposes and mixing via remote desktop in here. Treadmill (space hog) is going into new building next door. Whew.

Well I hope you get it all figured out.
What I really want (not need) is a stereo amp with 12v trigger to run my side surrounds, and get this big honking second AVR out of here and it's remote.
If you can get one without the 12v in trigger, one of these little guys will solve the issue.
I've been using 2 of them to turn on my 5 Adcom power amps from my AVR trigger out.
They're really handy guys to have around. I got 2 to distribute the starting current load of the 5 amps, maybe not necessary but better safe than sorry.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9fB2dya2gIVEp7ACh3tMQZWEAQYAiABEgJUQvD_BwE

Last edited:
If you can get one without the 12v in trigger, one of these little guys will solve the issue.
I've been using 2 of them to turn on my 5 Adcom power amps from my AVR trigger out.
They're really handy guys to have around. I got 2 to distribute the starting current load of the 5 amps, maybe not necessary but better safe than sorry.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9fB2dya2gIVEp7ACh3tMQZWEAQYAiABEgJUQvD_BwE
That's right, you told me about those.

Quick follow-up:
The solution was discovered quite by accident. I pressed the green MOVIE button on the remote, expecting a single mode or automatic to be selected. Lo and behold, a menu displayed 6 options! I selected the Multi Ch Stereo for the input used with DISH TV. I turned the Denon AVR off and when it came back on it remembered this setting. This also applies to the Denon AVR-X2200 on the smaller LR system so I'm very content now. ;)

Back