HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
In theory (if nothing else), there shouldn't be any audible disparity between the sound quality of an SACD or DVD-A...

Well, in theory it could well be argued that SACD is inferior to DVD-A. Technically, SACD is inferior even to CD above approximately 7 kHz. Wasn't there a thread about this, that also included some measurements?

That doesn't mean that this (and many others) SACD doesn't sound terrific. :)

Rob,

The ONLY version with DVD-A surround is the DualDisc. There was never a pure DVD-A release of "Brothers in Arms". There were 2 SACD versions, and the DualDisc. The DualDisc plays fine in the TL and RDX and should play fine in any Acura. I can't understand why they would stop selling this title, when it maintains a demand. It doesn't cost them anything to make more. :(

Rob,

The ONLY version with DVD-A surround is the DualDisc. There was never a pure DVD-A release of "Brothers in Arms". There were 2 SACD versions, and the DualDisc. The DualDisc plays fine in the TL and RDX and should play fine in any Acura. I can't understand why they would stop selling this title, when it maintains a demand. It doesn't cost them anything to make more. :(
Are there are any mix or sonic differences in the 2 SACD releases?

I found 2 copies of the DualDisc (DVD-A) for $12 each at my local used shop and foolishly sold them both before I even listened to them and I now own the SACD which is a real bargain on eBay (soundcitybeaches is the seller IIRC) I can't imagine the DVD-A sounding "better" than the SACD, but while I initially expected an award-winning discrete mix, I was presented with an award-winning ambient mix instead. It definitely does wrap itself around you, but then again, if you're worn out on this hits as am I, there isn't much the engineers can do to fix that. If you happen to love the hits or still (somehow) don't know this material, then go to eBay right now and prepare to be blown away. I give this a strong 8.

Dan

I bought the Dual Disc version and even though overall I enjoy the disc - it doesn't make it on my top five list. I would give it a 8 - equivalent to a "B".

Not at all thrilled with the album. Sonics are OK and mix is okay but either I've heard it too much or it aged. Barely ever play it and when I do I don't make it through the whole album, usually skip to the last track "Brother In Arms" and let it go at that.

I've had the hybrid CD/SACD for a few years and only now finally "forced" myself to listen to the SACD multichannel layer. Jaw on floor. My latest demo disc. The whole album sparkles. My favorite track: "Why Worry." The best way to describe that song in surround: It's like an angel whispering in your ear! For some reason, "Money for Nothing," as good as it is in surround, doesn't sound all that different from the way I've heard it on the radio, though I notice a subtle difference. It's as if the deep cuts on this album are more surprising than the hits in 5.1, with "Walk of Life" being the only exception. Despite the small shortcomings, I give it a solid 10. It's like the previous CD versions were just a bad photocopy!

I finally got my hands on one of these dual discs as i had missed it up to now. It cost me more than I really want to admit but it was worth every penny. As has been said before here Why Worry is just sublime in this version. You want it to go on forever.
The sound on the whole album is so effortless and transparent!

Wow! Mark Rules!

People who find something wrong with this sacd or dvd-a multi-channel mix need to get their hearing checked! This album without question is in my top 3 demo disc category.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but: why exactly pay hundreds for the DualDisc version when the SACD is available for 12 bucks used? Not to knock you guys, I really am curious. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Just noticed I never voted on this. Straight 10, of course.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but: why exactly pay hundreds for the DualDisc version when the SACD is available for 12 bucks used? Not to knock you guys, I really am curious. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Just noticed I never voted on this. Straight 10, of course.

I have both. The dvd-a sounds a bit warmer, but nothing worth spending significantly more money for IMHO. The sacd sounds great. If I did a blind test, I probably would not be able to hear a difference. Beck's "Sea Change" is a different matter in comparison for me. The dvd-a is once again warmer, but also fuller to my hears. The sacd of "Sea Change" in comparison sounds a bit shrill to me.

I have them both. The think the dualdisc sounds way better. I've got the CD-V of Money For Nothing too. Anyone else have that?

I have the CD-V of Money For Nothing (Chicks for Free). Yes, musically and sonically the DVD-A is the bomb. It's an 11. One more.

I also have a UK Sultans of Swing - Very Best of Dire Straits. 2 CD's. The second disc has Knopler performing 7 Dire Straits tracks live in '96 at Royal Albert Hall. Recommended.
I have them both. The think the dualdisc sounds way better. I've got the CD-V of Money For Nothing too. Anyone else have that?

Hi folks- recent lurker and just now registered- 1st post! I was never a huge DS fan, only had Money for Nothing cd, but recently got this sacd- can't believe it was still reasonably priced.

Totally blown away! What a mix. I had gotten burnt out on the hits as well (highly likely when all you have is the greatest hits), but even those sounded fresh and exciting. But the real shocker was the rest of the album- total bliss! I too am enamored of Don't Worry- completely uplifting, floating on the swells up thru the ceiling...

Upon hearing this I started looking for other mch DS, but only found videos. other than Knopfler solo, which are now too expensive. Thinking about Alchemy next- any thoughts?

Linda, I looked for SoS, na on amazon here, but found this on amazon.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dire-Strait...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334775923&sr=1-2

Is that what your referring to? Sounds interesting, but very confusing with both NTSC and Pal in the description/title. If this is what you have, is it indeed NTSC? btw, so nice to see a female on these male-dominated boards. All my sig others have, at best, put up with my craving for "realistic music reproduction" (read played loud), at worst it has caused some real problems. Would love to find a nice kwad kitty looking for a lap to sit on... lol

Welcome to QQ, Progrules. Yes, that is what I was referring to. Mine is 14 years old, so it's only CD's. I need to upgrade to the DVD. Mine is neither PAL, nor NTSC, although my Yamaha will play all regions. I was in a seminar given by Len Feldman, the audio/video writer. He asked, "who knows what NTSC stands for?" I raised my hand and answered, "Never The Same Color." Everyone roared.

Alchemy is available on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Kwad kitty is often thought to be me. He looks exactly like the drawing, except he's half black. An integrated kitty. He's at the other end of the couch right now. zzzzzz and he doesn't do laps.

Back