HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
I haven't read through this entire thread, but: why exactly pay hundreds for the DualDisc version when the SACD is available for 12 bucks used? Not to knock you guys, I really am curious. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Just noticed I never voted on this. Straight 10, of course.

I have the Surround Sound SACD of BIA as well. As you say, it's excellent! I also gave it a "10".

Welcome to QQ, Progrules. Yes, that is what I was referring to. Mine is 14 years old, so it's only CD's. I need to upgrade to the DVD. Mine is neither PAL, nor NTSC, although my Yamaha will play all regions. I was in a seminar given by Len Feldman, the audio/video writer. He asked, "who knows what NTSC stands for?" I raised my hand and answered, "Never The Same Color." Everyone roared.

Alchemy is available on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Kwad kitty is often thought to be me. He looks exactly like the drawing, except he's half black. An integrated kitty. He's at the other end of the couch right now. zzzzzz and he doesn't do laps.

lol- sounds like you stole his joke- I bet that's what he was going to say. But a kitty that doesn't do laps? What a shame. Does he like to listen to music with you? My cats in the past would leave the room when I cranked up the tunes.

Thanks for the info on that set. Does anybody know if the Sultans of Swing DC/DVD is PAL or NTSC?

What I failed to mention is that I have a VCD of the Sultans of Swing, but it doesn't include the live Knopfler tracks.

Kwad Kitty likes most music, hence using him as my signature. His usual perch allows him to hear the soundstage in perspective. If it's too loud, or too rousing, he'll adjourn to my bed. My Son got to listen often in utero, which ocassionally meant headphones. The only thing he seemed displeased with was Miles' In a Silent Way. In retrospect, he may have been into it, since Weather Report is one of his fave bands. Zawinul wrote the title track in that Miles project. It was the 2ch mix at that point.

As a teenager Dire Straits were always a little too Dad for me to listen to properly so I never bought this back when it was released although I knew the hits.
This was the very first time for me to hear the biggest selling CD of all time in SACD no less and I have to say I was blown away, this is easily one of the best SACD's out there and also one of the best album's I've ever heard. I cant believe it took me 27 years to hear this album, I really wish i'd given it a chance back in 1985. Highly recommended!!

As a teenager Dire Straits were always a little too Dad for me to listen to properly so I never bought this back when it was released although I knew the hits.
This was the very first time for me to hear the biggest selling CD of all time in SACD no less and I have to say I was blown away, this is easily one of the best SACD's out there and also one of the best album's I've ever heard. I cant believe it took me 27 years to hear this album, I really wish i'd given it a chance back in 1985. Highly recommended!!

Funny that you describe it as "Dad". I was in high school when this came out and my Dad was a fan. It was one of only a few things he liked that I could tolerate at the time. We have more common ground now....

I bought this on vinyl, when released. It wasn't something that i played often at all. I bought the SACD about 12 months ago and it's completely changed my concept of the album. ( but as we all know, that's what SACD does ! ) It is quite simply perfect ! ( Is there a 12 ! ) I think SACD was made for SAX !!!

After listening to the recently released Jethro Tull TAAB dvd surround mix, I decided to listen to the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms dualdisc (DVD side surround mix). All I can say is WOW, what a difference. The Dire Straits is astonishingly good, enveloping, warm, and clear while the Jethro Tull is quite harsh. If they could only all be done like the Brothers In Arms dualdisc was done, we would all be in heaven ;)

This was one of my first cd's way back in the 80's and I never got a 5.1 version. Maybe I've just heard the songs so many times that I don't feel the need to hear them again. Seeing the comments though has me thinking of grabbing the SACD while it's still around.

This was one of my first cd's way back in the 80's and I never got a 5.1 version. Maybe I've just heard the songs so many times that I don't feel the need to hear them again. Seeing the comments though has me thinking of grabbing the SACD while it's still around.

If you love the album, getting the 5.1 version on SACD is a must !

I remember this album coming out, and the fuss around it being one of the first simultaneous CD/Vinyl releases. I remember how most of the songs seemed catchy, powerful and above all, melancholy, apart from 'Walk of Life', a song I will never forgive Knopfler for ;)

I hadn't listened to this album for years, if not a decade or more until this week, when I picked up the 20th anniversary SACD from Amazon UK for about £7.50 new. And what do I think now, 28 years on? I still hate 'Walk of Life' but everything else more than makes up for it, and this mix is indeed quite beautifully done.

This is a 'must-have' in anybody's collection, in my very humble opinion.

The dualdisc would have been better if they'd included some music videos on it. At least the song Money For Nothing. Well, at least I have the CD Video and an LD player.

Agreed Failed Muso, definitely a household staple.

"And I can still hear his laughter and I can still hear his song . . ."

Good music, good 5.1-mix, bad mastering. If you put this one on after listening to a good and well balanced mastering, your ears will bleed. It differs from song to song - the title song is actually pretty good...

Music and mix - 7/8
Mastering - 3
Total verdict - 5

Good music, good 5.1-mix, bad mastering. If you put this one on after listening to a good and well balanced mastering, your ears will bleed. It differs from song to song - the title song is actually pretty good...

Music and mix - 7/8
Mastering - 3
Total verdict - 5

My ears did not bleed while listening to this...which album do you recommend before listening this one to have that much needed effect? ;)

Back