Do I need three reel to reel decks...?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8nagel

Good afternoon

It's a very quadraphonic day apparently, I just got a notification that my copy of the new Paranoid blu-ray was delivered (but the other three discs are still "out for delivery")

now I have a line on a broken Teac 3340S!

So now I'll have

Sony TC-388-4, 4-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, 7" reels only, serviced within the last two years by Tim Leinbaugh
Teac X-10, 2-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, includes NAB adapters, I made some repairs and got it mechanically working (that is, the transport works fine and heads move correctly) but it has electronic issues (maybe combo of dirty heads and controls?) was found at Value Village so I had to adopt it.
Teac 3340S, 4-channel, 7-1/2 and 15 ips, will hold NAB reels but not sure if adapters are included (but I bet they're the same as the X-10), obviously will need repair

Clearly the ideal situation would be to have something like the 3340S but would also have the ability to play at 3-3/4 ips (that is, One Deck to Rule Them All (tm)). But my thought is, I should fix the 3340S and sell the X-10 once it is also fixed, my rationale being the odds of me coming across a NAB reel that I want to play that was recorded at 3-3/4 ips are about nil. Do you agree with my rationale, or am I mistaken here? I just don't really "need" three large machines that are really more decoration than anything else, although fixing tape machines does keep me away from more destructive/expensive hobbies...

I also have recently received back from the spa my Akai CR-80-SS after having some repairs done; I have only tested it, not actually sat down and listened to it though...

I don't really understand the question. Three is usually the MINIMUM. :ROFLMAO: (y)
......... I sadly only have 2 Reel-to-Reels (Akai GX-635D & 4000DS MkII), along with 2 DAT recorders (Sony DTC-690 & TCD-D7), a broken cassette recorder (Yamaha KX-393), and a TEAC TASCAM DR-680MkII 6-channel digital recorder, but unfortunately only the TASCAM is multi-channel! :)

You probably do. The only stereo deck I have is a Tascam 32, which uses the old broadcast industry standard "half-track" quarter-inch tape. For 4-track quarter-inch tape I have a TEAC A-3340 (15 & 7.5 ips), a Sony TC-854-4 (7.5 & 3.75 ips), a Realistic 494 (7.5, 3.75 & 1.78 ips), plus a Panasonic and a Tascam I have in my workshop for a tune-up. I also have a Tascam 38 for half-inch tape (8 channels). I like to be able to play any tape I find.

I love threads like this about old gear, even though I don't own any of it. OK I still have a working twin cassette deck, but that hardly counts.

I had three of them until recently, when I sold my TEAC 3440 deck. I never used the 15 ips speed, and I rarely used 10 inch tapes. Some hipster bought it to record the music he 'composed' on his computer, and I got a very good price for it. I still have two A-2340SX decks and a 2340SX parts machine.

Attachments

• Office Quad.JPG
    Office Quad.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I had three of them until recently, when I sold my TEAC 3440 deck. I never used the 15 ips speed, and I rarely used 10 inch tapes. Some hipster bought it to record the music he 'composed' on his computer, and I got a very good price for it. I still have two A-2340SX decks and a 2340SX parts machine.

Nice QRX-7001! That'll be what this 3340 will be hooked to, assuming I ever find time to get it working. Was using it regularly for about 2 years before I started moving stuff around.

I qualify with three reel decks, none of them properly operational. One each of Pioneer RT-1020H + RT-1020L and a Fostex A-8 (Subaru of multi-track).
Still looking for service nearby to get them functional to make one more pass at digitizing the reels. Then what? Sell them I suppose.

I recently re-transferred dozens of band cassettes (2003-2008 16/44 on WIN XP 2GB Athlon processor) because there were some anomalies upon close scrutiny. I decided to re-do one particular track and found the noise that concerned me was NOT on the original tape. The PC at the time simply couldn't keep up with the recording process at that time. Over the course of 3 days recently, I kept at it cranking them out as 24/48 transfers and the anomalies were gone.

So that brings back to wanting to do the same with the reels, probably less than 20 of them to do, the majority being Fostex 8 channel 1/4". I could pay Tape Farm to transfer select reels and sidestep the repair expense but I'd be forced to be selective which get done.

Nice QRX-7001! That'll be what this 3340 will be hooked to, assuming I ever find time to get it working. Was using it regularly for about 2 years before I started moving stuff around.
I don't know where you are located, but if you need any parts for your 3340, it shares a lot of parts with my 2340 parts machine. I used a few of them on the 3340 that I sold a few years ago.

I don't know where you are located, but if you need any parts for your 3340, it shares a lot of parts with my 2340 parts machine. I used a few of them on the 3340 that I sold a few years ago.
I'm near DC (but work near Baltimore) and yes it will need parts, not sure what all yet as I haven't picked it up. I was going to do it Monday, then last night, but neither day actually worked out. It's definitely missing the little arm that the tape pulls on on the takeup side. I may very well be in touch once I get it in my hands and have a chance to assess it.

I’ve only owned one R-R deck, an Akai X1800 SD, that also played and recorded 8-tracks. It died during a period when replacing it was not an option, and after three failed repair attempts, I tossed it in a charity bin. I always thought those two gently rotating reels screamed HIGH TECH even louder than the speakers could go.

I only occasionally miss the coolness of R-R, usually when someone wants something their “band” recorded in the ‘70s digitized.

I'm near DC (but work near Baltimore) and yes it will need parts, not sure what all yet as I haven't picked it up. I was going to do it Monday, then last night, but neither day actually worked out. It's definitely missing the little arm that the tape pulls on on the takeup side. I may very well be in touch once I get it in my hands and have a chance to assess it.
I think I have that, but I don't know if I have the spring or the micro-switches. Check the service manuals on Hifi Engine to be sure that it is the same part on the 3340 as the 2340.

P1050076.JPG

Last edited:
I think I have that, but I don't know if I have the spring or the micro-switches.
View attachment 93591Check the service manuals on Hifi Engine to be sure that it is the same.

I'm having a hard time finding one actually, HFE has the A-3340S but the one I'm getting is just 3340S, not sure what the differences are. I've found a really poor scan of the user manual, but then again, I've been trying to get actual paying work done. (I know, I know, priorities)

I don't think there is a difference. As I recall, the 'A' meant that it was for the American market. The guys on Tapeheads would know for sure.

Good afternoon

It's a very quadraphonic day apparently, I just got a notification that my copy of the new Paranoid blu-ray was delivered (but the other three discs are still "out for delivery")

now I have a line on a broken Teac 3340S!

So now I'll have

Sony TC-388-4, 4-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, 7" reels only, serviced within the last two years by Tim Leinbaugh
Teac X-10, 2-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, includes NAB adapters, I made some repairs and got it mechanically working (that is, the transport works fine and heads move correctly) but it has electronic issues (maybe combo of dirty heads and controls?) was found at Value Village so I had to adopt it.
Teac 3340S, 4-channel, 7-1/2 and 15 ips, will hold NAB reels but not sure if adapters are included (but I bet they're the same as the X-10), obviously will need repair

Clearly the ideal situation would be to have something like the 3340S but would also have the ability to play at 3-3/4 ips (that is, One Deck to Rule Them All (tm)). But my thought is, I should fix the 3340S and sell the X-10 once it is also fixed, my rationale being the odds of me coming across a NAB reel that I want to play that was recorded at 3-3/4 ips are about nil. Do you agree with my rationale, or am I mistaken here? I just don't really "need" three large machines that are really more decoration than anything else, although fixing tape machines does keep me away from more destructive/expensive hobbies...

I also have recently received back from the spa my Akai CR-80-SS after having some repairs done; I have only tested it, not actually sat down and listened to it though...
My Technics RS1520 covers a lot of bases. Both half and quarter track play heads in the headblock switchable, three speeds, adjustable speed servo drive and front panel bias and eq setting and built in test. oscillator. I could replace the 1/4tr stereo head with a quad playback head and bring that out to jacks on the back for an external preamp, but I don't have any prerecorded reel to reel tapes so no need. Also has balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs.

I don't think there is a difference. As I recall, the 'A' meant that it was for the American market. The guys on Tapeheads would know for sure.

I'll ask. Picked it up after work today, it looks better than in the ad (when does that happen?) what I thought might be corrosion I think is actually water spotting on either dirt or nicotine, so a good cleaning will do wonders. So far it's missing the power cord and one knob bright in addition to the arm I mentioned. Also, it is very heavy and it is very hot outside.

thanks for so generously offering parts, I wasn't going to worry about sourcing stuff until I had a chance to make an "aftermarket" power cord - it looks like it is doable with a typical brown extension cord like I cut up for speaker wire for small systems, and a plug end if I can find a non polarized one, as the prongs on the back of the unit look for all the world like they're a typical non polarized NEMA 1-15P or more specifically the Japanese version thereof. In fact now that I think about it I probably have an unpolarized flat cord for a Japanese component that I could cut the end off of and put a repair 1-15R on again if I could find a non polarized one. I'd also want to investigate exactly what all is missing related to the tension arm and if possible to some basic function checks to make sure I'm not doubling back and looking for more parts later. We shall see... I did post over at Tapeheads so we'll see if I get any advice there.

Back