Do I need three reel to reel decks...?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230706_190727531.jpg

Here's the beastie in the trunk of my GTI. Normal size duffel bag for scale...

Edit: I don't think that's actually a scratch under the takeup reel, it's a cat hair or something.

Very nice! Congrats

I have a 3340 which is similar. The left tension arm piece is just spot welded on & popped off: so be careful with it. I had to drill & install a screw instead, to repair it. Dunno why they didn't just build it like that in the first place.

Picked it up after work today, it looks better than in the ad (when does that happen?) what I thought might be corrosion I think is actually water spotting on either dirt or nicotine, so a good cleaning will do wonders.
It mystifies me that eBay sellers can't be bothered to clean things before selling them. I've bought some stuff that I'd have paid two or three times as much for if they'd looked nice and clean in the pictures, which is the state I was able to return them to in about 15 minutes.

It mystifies me that eBay sellers can't be bothered to clean things before selling them. I've bought some stuff that I'd have paid two or three times as much for if they'd looked nice and clean in the pictures, which is the state I was able to return them to in about 15 minutes.
I know someone who bought a Collaro turntable who wishes the seller hadn't cleaned it. Someone told the seller to use carburetor cleaner because it cleans all of the rubber parts. It melted the plastic gears in the change cycle drive and some other plastic parts.

Man, I really need to assess that big Teac. I can't believe it's been so long since I got it but I literally haven't even done any basic checks yet. I did see what looks like a ziploc bag with the power cord inside the unit, maybe it has the busted pieces? One can hope.

Good afternoon

It's a very quadraphonic day apparently, I just got a notification that my copy of the new Paranoid blu-ray was delivered (but the other three discs are still "out for delivery")

now I have a line on a broken Teac 3340S!

So now I'll have

Sony TC-388-4, 4-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, 7" reels only, serviced within the last two years by Tim Leinbaugh
Teac X-10, 2-channel, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips, includes NAB adapters, I made some repairs and got it mechanically working (that is, the transport works fine and heads move correctly) but it has electronic issues (maybe combo of dirty heads and controls?) was found at Value Village so I had to adopt it.
Teac 3340S, 4-channel, 7-1/2 and 15 ips, will hold NAB reels but not sure if adapters are included (but I bet they're the same as the X-10), obviously will need repair

Clearly the ideal situation would be to have something like the 3340S but would also have the ability to play at 3-3/4 ips (that is, One Deck to Rule Them All (tm)). But my thought is, I should fix the 3340S and sell the X-10 once it is also fixed, my rationale being the odds of me coming across a NAB reel that I want to play that was recorded at 3-3/4 ips are about nil. Do you agree with my rationale, or am I mistaken here? I just don't really "need" three large machines that are really more decoration than anything else, although fixing tape machines does keep me away from more destructive/expensive hobbies...

I also have recently received back from the spa my Akai CR-80-SS after having some repairs done; I have only tested it, not actually sat down and listened to it though...
Teac 2340 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ...Had I known I should have bought that model and not 3340.
10 reels are so expensive and 15ips is nice but eats tape too fast... why Teac didn't put all three speeds on 1 (4) channel machine...
I got tired of noise on my akai CR-80 SS so I run head to tascam 424mkII.
The Akai board is such a "B" to replace parts and then the R/P switch that runs down the circuit board can be a nuisance too.

Any body have a Teac/Tascam model 38?
It's a 7" reel unit with built in mixing board, they are pretty expensive when available.
They are also very heavy and ackward but look really neat.

I don't know where you are located, but if you need any parts for your 3340, it shares a lot of parts with my 2340 parts machine. I used a few of them on the 3340 that I sold a few years ago.

Gonna message you in a minute. Hope you still have the parts machine. I opened the back up and the plastic baggie doesn't appear to have anything I need. I still need a power cord, although it looks like I can modify a straight extension cord to work if I can find one (or just put a repair socket on the end of a zip cord extension cord) as it appears to use a non polarized NEMA 1-15R not an IEC C7 which I have a few extras of.

Looking at the unit it appears that someone started to try to fix it and then stopped because of lack of parts or other?

Looks like I need:

1) right hand arm and associated hardware. Not sure what all. Will have to look up in book.
2) power cord
3) one knob "bright" or knob with good center
4) counter belt (it's not broken yet, but it's just hanging in there)
5) counter assembly (it doesn't reset)

Without power cord I am stalled however, I don't have anything suitable here, all my zip cord style extension cords have those little 3 receptacle blocks on the end of them. Looks like I can start cleaning this up in the meantime however, although next order of business is to assess a Sony cassette deck.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_105417875.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105417875.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231226_105426274.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105426274.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231226_105431362.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105431362.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231226_105437503_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105437503_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231226_105441580.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105441580.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231226_105704648.jpg
    IMG_20231226_105704648.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Any body have a Teac/Tascam model 38?
It's a 7" reel unit with built in mixing board, they are pretty expensive when available.
They are also very heavy and ackward but look really neat.
You are thinking of the TASCAM 388.

Back