Does a "goldilocks" player exist?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Lackey

Is there a new single player that can do multi-channel SACD, Blu-ray audio, Atmos, and the various digital codecs (FLAC, DSD, etc.) while also reading from an external SSD?

I'm starting over from scratch with zero gear... aaaand trying to be a bit budget-minded. So far I have a Sony BDP-BX370 and Fiio R7 arriving tomorrow. Would rather have something higher quality than these devices.

Thanks, in advance.

-- Fred

Is there a new single player that can do multi-channel SACD, Blu-ray audio, Atmos, and the various digital codecs (FLAC, DSD, etc.) while also reading from an external SSD?

I'm starting over from scratch with zero gear... aaaand trying to be a bit budget-minded. So far I have a Sony BDP-BX370 and Fiio R7 arriving tomorrow. Would rather have something higher quality than these devices.

Thanks, in advance.

-- Fred
Take a look at the Sony UBP-x800M2, it does what you are asking for and many on this forum seem to be pleased with it (myself included).

There is a thread here which has a lot of discussion on it:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-multi-channel-sacd-player.33031/#post-654143

You can find a used Oppo 20X or 10X the latter not quite as over priced. There are a couple of players from Reavon that are trying to fill the same niche but I would rather have a used Oppo since they still reportedly service them and still have good customer service. If new is part of the criterion then Reavon and there is one other one too but I can't remember it's name. Edit: Magnetar Audio

https://reavon.com/https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-4k-blu-ray-player/https://magnetar-audio.com/One question is, do you require analog outputs for multi channel?

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Sony UBP-x800M2, it does what you are asking for and many on this forum seem to be pleased with it (myself included).
Thanks, but unfortunately, the Sony cannot read from external storage. So, I would still need another device. Also, not a fan of the display-less format. Would really like to drop in a SACD and not have to dig through on-screen prompts.

Thanks, but unfortunately, the Sony cannot read from external storage. So, I would still need another device. Also, not a fan of the display-less format. Would really like to drop in a SACD and not have to dig through on-screen prompts.
I have used it to play multi-channel FLAC off a server, but you may be right about external USB storage. I agree, the lack of a front display is sometimes frustrating too. But other than that I have been very happy with it and the price is good for something that handles almost everything.

As for SACD on the sony, pop in the disc, close the drawer and hit play, no need to switch the tv on 👍

Oppo BDP-93EU any good?
Scratch that - although pretty comprehensive list of features at the time - that was a while ago! No 4K, no Atmos, etc.

And the Sony UBP-X800M2 will play both SACD and DVD-A (which was a rarity back then).

As I understand the format, Atmos needs to have the objects located via a receiver or pre-pro through its room setup process, and disc players don’t do that. I believe most HDMI disc player outputs will pass Atmos signals, although I haven’t seen any reports on that.

I have an Oppo 105 that I cherish. It plays almost everything I can throw at it.

As I understand the format, Atmos needs to have the objects located via a receiver or pre-pro through its room setup process, and disc players don’t do that. I believe most HDMI disc player outputs will pass Atmos signals, although I haven’t seen any reports on that.

I have an Oppo 105 that I cherish. It plays almost everything I can throw at it.
Yes, virtually every blu ray player will output atmos, but to receive it you need an atmos enabled AVR or soundbar

Just confirming that the Sony X800 (the previous model to the M2) plays 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1 FLAC, DSF and WAV from a HDD and flash memory thumb drive. I don't have a SSD to try with though. Nothing plays gaplessly.
Same with the Oppo, I have a 103 and a 95. I understand that the workaround is to save albums as a single file with a spreadsheet. That would not help if you are listening to a random selection of tracks however.

I can report an issue with the UBP-X800.

It didn't recognise the DVD-R discs from surround-musik.de

I've since swapped mine out for a Panasonic DP-UB820 that I had in the living room. *

[Edit] *Please note: the Panasonic DP-UB820 does not support SACD or DVD-A.

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesn't. Nor does it support DVD-A.

It'll play them, but at least as far as the DVD-A is concerned, not in proper multichannel.

I received the DVD-A of Motorhead's Deaf Forever (compilation album) this morning and tested it on both the DP-UB820 and the UPB-X800 (I've got the DP-UB820 sitting on top of the UPB-X800, both plugged into my receiver to test against each other).

The Motorhead DVD-A has a speaker setup file that plays through each of the six speakers and the album plays in what sounds like an approximation of surround...

...but had I not seen FL's post Deaf Forever would have gone back on eBay, due to how underwhelmed by the mix I was (was going to post saying it was very disappointing)...

...I'd assumed the DP-UB820 was outputting genuine surround and that the album's production had just been botched, but turns out that's not the case:
I tried it with my UPB-X800 and it really popped!

I played a couple of SACD's on the UPB-X800 and they played (it's not like they weren't recognised by the player) but I'm guessing it's going to be the same story as DVD-A

Through the DP-X800 the disc boots my receiver circuitry into "Multichannel". Through the DP-UB820 multichannel isn't even selectable; it seems my receiver's just doing its best to try and emulate surround with the UP-UB820, and, with the Deaf Forever disc, it's not doing it well.

I need to change my sig so as not to mislead people. Very glad I saw FL's post and relieved the DP-UB820 has only been in my signature a day.

[Edit]

The weird thing is the DP-UB820 seems to play the surround-musik.de quad DVD-R's perfectly (only not disconnecting the centre?) whereas the DP-X800 doesn't even recognise them.

[Edit] Can confirm the above statement in the previous "[Edit]" is not the case. My receiver is doing some kind of technical jiggery-pokery with the signal, and it doesn't help the general sound of the Ogre discs. The Quad Quintet disc however, it does a very good job with.

Last edited:
Back