Does a "goldilocks" player exist?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the issue with CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that won't play in the Sony UBP-X800M2 is they have not been finalised. Many players including Oppo 95 don't require disc finalisation.
Seems to be what the manual suggests...

...I've emailed Dietrich at surround-musik.de to let him know that the UBP-X800 & X800M2 potentially can play their discs (I'd previously told him they weren't compatible). I'm hoping I might get a response that could shed some more light on this; although I think probably anyone on the forum with a DVD writer and an X800 or X800M2 could test compatibility?

I have an X800, but I don't currently have a DVD writer hooked up...

...I think I've got one somewhere; I'll have to dig it out, but might take a while.

But yeah: if the manual is to be believed then, if the DVD-R's are correctly finalised then, they should play?

[Edit] In the list of discs that can't be played: "HD DVD" 😊

I have one HD DVD: Balls of Fury (2007). There is a German Blu-Ray release, but it has German captions and intermurals. 😊

Last edited:
But yeah: if the manual is to be believed then, if the DVD-R's are correctly finalised then, they should play?
That makes sense. But you need a DVD writer to finalise the disc, or to have been finalising them all along when you burned them (which I did with mine but I have no idea what my brother does).

Owner of Sony UBP-X800M2 here. I play DVD-Rs on it all the time. Mostly my own burns but sometimes those of others - including those burnt by film distributors. Naturally, I burn on another machine in my set up, but always playback on the X800 because its upscaling is far superior.

Also, initially I was annoyed by the lack of facia display, but within 6 months I was completely habituated to its absence.

Rango - I'm North London based if you need someone to test / finalise etc.

Seems to be what the manual suggests...

...I've emailed Dietrich at surround-musik.de to let him know that the UBP-X800 & X800M2 potentially can play their discs (I'd previously told him they weren't compatible). I'm hoping I might get a response that could shed some more light on this; although I think probably anyone on the forum with a DVD writer and an X800 or X800M2 could test compatibility?

I have an X800, but I don't currently have a DVD writer hooked up...

...I think I've got one somewhere; I'll have to dig it out, but might take a while.

[Edit] In the list of discs that can't be played: "HD DVD" 😊

I have one HD DVD: Balls of Fury (2007). There is a German Blu-Ray release, but it has German captions and intermurals. 😊
hi there! I have an X800M2, I ran 2 tests:
- I copied The Beatles "Love" DVD, the copied version only plays the DVD Video part. The original works with DVD-Audio, as expected. So, copied DVD-Vs work but DVD-As do not.
- I copied a blu ray into a DVD. That did not work. It was read as a data DVD. I do not own a Blu Ray writer.

Wish Oppo would have stayed put with their players. Fortunately, we have three of them over the years. BDP 93 extra bedroom. Bdp 103 for separate tube amp/2 channel music. And udp 203 main living room/setup. The first one we owned was the 83. Sold for the newer 93 at the time.. have never had trouble with any of them. 👌 Looked at getting a used udp 205 at one time.. Geezz!! Nah, we're all good

Last edited:
hi there! I have an X800M2, I ran 2 tests:
- I copied The Beatles "Love" DVD, the copied version only plays the DVD Video part. The original works with DVD-Audio, as expected. So, copied DVD-Vs work but DVD-As do not.
- I copied a blu ray into a DVD. That did not work. It was read as a data DVD. I do not own a Blu Ray writer.
The problem with the DVD-A is probably due to watermarking, that's a copy protection system for commercial DVD-As. A home created DVD-A on DVD-R may well work, or one from a download site explicitly intended for blowing to DVD-R.

My Magnavox (Funai OEM) 4K/UHD Blu-ray player manual says it will play DVD-Rs, I have 3 (Funai OEMed) DVD recorders, my 4K player won't play my home recorded (& finalized) DVDs but it will play MOD "DVDs".

https://www.flickeralley.com/mod/mod-faqs/
I don't know if Funai DVD players are available in Europe, I bought a few (various brands) over the years for use in my basement audio system and my bedroom audio system, they play CD-R/RW & DVD +/-R/RW discs (but not DVD-A) and some will pass through the DTS audio data stream.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I doubt if it is a watermark, I have a NAD T 585 plays well an own burned copy of Love DVD-A, but my Sony ..800x NOT. SONY prohibited playing, maybe because there is a difference between the commercial disc, and the disc used for own burning copies, even if you have the original DVD-A; there is a thread about this in this forum.

A note on the DVD-R issue: Several years ago, I put together a DVD of a party my parents threw for one of their anniversaries. I sent out copies to my family, and had most of them say the discs wouldn’t play. I sent out another set, with the same reaction, even after testing them in the two DVD players I have in my house. Then I decided to try burning DVD+R discs instead of DVD-Rs, and everything worked fine for everybody.

I’ve done a handful of other videos since then, and since I’ve run out of -R discs, I only use +Rs, and they all seem to work on the players my family and friends own.

YMMV, of course.

@Rango, I recall reading about how much a little improvement can be worth a lot of money. The example was a race horse, that earned something like two or three times as much as the next winningest horse. That horse wasn’t two or three times as fast as the next winningest horse, not even 1% faster, but just enough to beat them consistently.

To be sure, diminishing returns is something we’re all aware of. The Trinnon receiver isn’t twice as good to anyone’s ears as a Marantz, but it does command a premium because it probably is just enough better.

A note on the DVD-R issue: Several years ago, I put together a DVD of a party my parents threw for one of their anniversaries. I sent out copies to my family, and had most of them say the discs wouldn’t play. I sent out another set, with the same reaction, even after testing them in the two DVD players I have in my house. Then I decided to try burning DVD+R discs instead of DVD-Rs, and everything worked fine for everybody.

I’ve done a handful of other videos since then, and since I’ve run out of -R discs, I only use +Rs, and they all seem to work on the players my family and friends own.

YMMV, of course.
I've heard of the reverse happening as well with the DVD-Rs working but not the DVD+R's. I forget the details but I used to use DVD+R's as they were supposed to be the best for use with my Plextor burner. At some point, for some purpose (I forget why) I had to burn to some DVD-Rs, as the +Rs were not compatible.

Hey doesn't that remind you of the different quad formats!

I doubt if it is a watermark, I have a NAD T 585 plays well an own burned copy of Love DVD-A, but my Sony ..800x NOT. SONY prohibited playing, maybe because there is a difference between the commercial disc, and the disc used for own burning copies, even if you have the original DVD-A; there is a thread about this in this forum.
He said he copied a DVD-A/V to DVD-R and the DVD-V part played but not DVD-A. That sounds like DVD-A watermarking to me, it would be particularly stupid to refuse to play DVD-A just because it's on recordable media.

Oppo 9x and prior ignore DVD-A watermarking I believe. From the 10x onwards they enforce it, because it was added to the list of mandatory features in order to keep your Blu Ray forum licence. Sony would thus have to honour it just the same.

With a DVD-Audio , isn't it required to rip with one program, then author with another, then burn? It's been a couple years since I've done that but IIRC a direct image copy didn't work for DVD-A.

Back