Dolly Parton gets it - Requests her name be withdrawn from nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Dolly Parton, a 1999 inductee into the Country Music Hall of Fame, has asked that her name be withdrawn from nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She said that she had not earned the right to a nomination and that she would just end up stealing votes from people who deserved to be inducted. She further said that she might someday record a rock and roll album and, if so, then she would love to be nominated again some time in the future.

Dolly is just the best.

It seems that over the years, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame morphed into the "Any Genre Hall of Fame." Really, they should rename the organization if they are going to delve into Hip Hop, Country, etc. In the past several years, they have been embarrassed into finally inducting major prog rock acts...you know, acts that really belong in a hall of fame with the name "Rock" in the title. Now you've gotten me started @esimms86 ! ;)

Yes, kudos to Dolly for her move here.

It seems that over the years, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame morphed into the "Any Genre Hall of Fame." Really, they should rename the organization if they are going to delve into Hip Hop, Country, etc. In the past several years, they have been embarrassed into finally inducting major prog rock acts...you know, acts that really belong in a hall of fame with the name "Rock" in the title. Now you've gotten me started @esimms86 ! ;)

Yes, kudos to Dolly for her move here.
Feel free to vent @ar surround!

I believe they had Keith Emerson's Hammond organ on display, and ELP hadn't even been inducted!!

Also they never bothered to induct Yes until after Chris Squire had passed away, at the age of 67. As if there hadn't been enough time? RIP.

I'll pass

( venting edited! )

Last edited:
Didn't it take years of people mocking them before they even inducted Black freakin' Sabbath?! Meanwhile they inducted like, Milli Vinilli 3 times? Kind of hard to take seriously!

Of course Dolly Parton had a much classier response than I could come up with!

Alex Lifeson's speech was just genius! Watch that if you haven't seen it. He found the perfect line to be brutally insulting to their faces while not appearing to cross it and they had to just sit there and take it.

I bet Dolly has influenced more rock records than she realizes. And far more than some RRHOF inductees...
A classy move, nonetheless.
And yes, a Dolly rock record would probably be very cool.
Many of her hit's were crossovers anyway. She deserves to be inducted more than many but as you say she is very classy to have refused!

I love Dolly Parton. I once saw her open for Linda Ronstadt at one of Bill Graham’s outdoor rock stadium concerts “Day on the Green” in Oakland, California, in the late 70s. So, it’s not like she wasn’t rocking with the best. I would so love to hear her do a cover of “Whole Lotta Love.” She could sell the performance convincingly. That’s what makes her such a great talent.

I am happy they finally offered it to Pat Benatar.

Pat Benatar actually finished in second place in fan votes 2 years ago....and then promptly snubbed when it was time to select inductees. She was completely passed over last year....not even a nomination. I guess there was a backlash when she wasn't inducted 2 years ago.

So the RARHOF has decided not to comply with Dolly’s request. They released a statement saying that they will not be withdrawing her nomination.
Strange that they wouldn't comply with Dolly's request. What their are no real "Rock" artists as good or deserving as Dolly! If she is selected can she refuse? The RARHOF is showing disrespect to Dolly's wishes! If Dolly refused to be inducted into the RNRHOF that too might be seen as disrespecting the Hall of Fame!.

Back