Dolly Parton gets it - Requests her name be withdrawn from nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange that they wouldn't comply with Dolly's request. What their are no real "Rock" artists as good or deserving as Dolly! If she is selected can she refuse? The RARHOF is showing disrespect to Dolly's wishes! If Dolly refused to be inducted into the RNRHOF that too might be seen as disrespecting the Hall of Fame!.
My guess is that the most she can do is to not show up for the induction ceremony. She wouldn’t be the first to do so.

There is a video of Justin Hayward playing and being intervied in the RRHOF theater and he talks about the early days of the Moody Blues when they all wore matching outfits. The interviewer says, "Those outfits should be in the Moody Blues' section of the RRHOF".
Justin replies, "We're not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame". (They weren't at the time.)

I love Dolly Parton. I once saw her open for Linda Ronstadt at one of Bill Graham’s outdoor rock stadium concerts “Day on the Green” in Oakland, California, in the late 70s. So, it’s not like she wasn’t rocking with the best. I would so love to hear her do a cover of “Whole Lotta Love.” She could sell the performance convincingly. That’s what makes her such a great talent.
Not quite the same, but she has done a cover of Stairway to Heaven...

Strange that they wouldn't comply with Dolly's request. What their are no real "Rock" artists as good or deserving as Dolly! If she is selected can she refuse? The RARHOF is showing disrespect to Dolly's wishes! If Dolly refused to be inducted into the RNRHOF that too might be seen as disrespecting the Hall of Fame!.
I believe Todd Rundgren publicly said a few years ago that he did not want any part of being in the RRHOF, but was inducted anyway. He didn't attend the ceremony.

The powers that be at the R&RHOF pretty much have to ignore Dolly. She is shining a light on the major flaw with many of those that have been inducted, they are NOT Rock & Rollers. They have decided that diversity and inclusion are more important than the inductee actually playing R&R. Something that has irked me to no end. However it's their game and they can make the rules (or lack thereof) any way they want. All we can do is ignore and/or not visit the R&RHOF. If I had one wish it would be that they removed the R&R from the name. That would instantly shut purists like me up.

I think the problem is with the fan votes. Dolly took her time to issue a statement on withdrawing her nomination. However, hundreds of thousands of votes for Dolly have already been cast. Just substitute another bands's or artist's name in place of Dolly's? That wouldn't be fair to the other nominees.

Since the R&R HoF insisted on the nomination, the ball is really in Dolly's court whether to accept the induction or not should be selected. I think she will have a classy response if she's selected to be inducted (last I checked, Dolly was in fourth place in fan votes).

There's a fine line between R&R and Country, at one point they were one and the same.
From Elvis to Little Richard,, they were the bastard children of Country, banded from the Grand Ole Opry but a mob assault on the radio stations. "the devils music".
I love Dolly and appreciate her position but IMO you can't separate the 2. I would hope she goes.
This somewhat reminds me of all the whining that was done over Vince Gill becoming an Eagle. Personally I couldn't think of a better choice.

Why not? She already conquered country, pop and disco! :)

I have both the 7-inch 45 and the 12-inch 45 versions of "Baby, I'm Burnin'".

While the 12-inch version is definitely tricked up for disco, the 7-inch version is not. I always considered the 7-inch version of the song as rock.

A thoughtful take from last year in the Cleveland newspaper:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertain...ge-ignorant-definitions-of-rock-and-roll.html

Merriam-Webster defines “rock and roll” as “popular music usually played on electronically amplified instruments and characterized by a persistent heavily accented beat, repetition of simple phrases, and often country, folk, and blues elements.”

You could probably pick and choose elements from that definition that benefit whatever side of the argument you sit on. To truly understand what rock and roll is, you need to examine how the art form began and how it has evolved.

Back