HiRez Poll Doors, The - THE BEST OF THE DOORS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Doors - THE BEST OF THE DOORS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-Ray Audio disc of the collection "The Best of the Doors".
The Blu-Ray Audio collection features 18 classic Doors songs mixed in 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos by the band's longtime engineer Bruce Botnick.

(y) :) (n)

ODItODc1Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

ODMtNDY2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

ODQtNzk1OS5qcGVn.jpeg

ODQtNDQ4Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Pre-release threads for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mos-blu-ray-out-4-26.31864/page-7#post-775889
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ray-discs-from-rhino.35755/page-2#post-767456

I can only listen in 5.1, but I found this disc to be clear and for the most part nice sounding. Some of the highs are a little grating to my ears, but after all these are very old tapes. All in all, I think it's remarkable this album sounds so good. Music = 10 Fidelity = 7 Surround = 6. Averaged out to an 8 but I'm a harsh critic. 🥃 🥃

I voted 10. plus 100.
I just couldn't help myself and had to get my thoughts out quickly.
My best Atmos mix of 2024, so far. Knowing all songs by heart helps.
Listened Blu Ray rip, True HD, MKV file, 24bit, 48Khz. Dr's are 11. 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's, 16.
I own 8 versions of The Doors, now 9, in surround.
This Atmos version is definitive and will be reference.

I have noticed a developing style with people who mix recordings into an Atmos mix and different styles are emerging. Remember we are in a relatively new way of mixing as Atmos is still a youngster.
Some Atmos mixes, all immersive, everything going as a bubble of sound, some tickle the heights and focus on the foundation, some are modern recordings with intent to go directly to Atmos and we are going to hear sounds all over the place, this recording, which I have noticed in others, the Atmos heights always active and rears and/or heights can be impact moments.
Listen to track 8-Five To One, nothing in rears until the chorus, "get together one more time" explode, as an example.

Then the one that is the big, got to hear this song in Atmos, track 15, Riders On The Storm, nails it, perfect from the heights.
Another impactful listen track 10 Spanish Caravan.
I could go on, but the listener needs to find their own experience, not mine.

If you are lucky enough to listen to music in Atmos, you will find all these emerging styles of mix to be appreciated, except for a few which are Atmos duds of course.

I look forward to also listening to the stereo and 5.1 of this new 2024 release, but this Atmos version is fucking great.
THIS IS THE END.

Please keep polls pure to your listening experience only.

Sorry, I have to vote a 10. Keeping in mind about the music and how it's presented. Doors are one of my top 5 favorite bands. Any chance to hear their tunes in surround is always going to be an amazing moment. The atmos mix is good enough, and at times, can be different than other multi-channel versions I've heard. Considering the cost, and content...not sure how I can vote less than a 10.

Sure, if you want to compare this to contemporary Steven Wilson mixes......go ahead. In my opinion, that's not fair. If you are a HUGE Doors fan like myself, this is a MUST have and you need to crank it. Fun times.

Sorry, I have to vote a 10. Keeping in mind about the music and how it's presented. Doors are one of my top 5 favorite bands. Any chance to hear their tunes in surround is always going to be an amazing moment. The atmos mix is good enough, and at times, can be different than other multi-channel versions I've heard. Considering the cost, and content...not sure how I can vote less than a 10.

Sure, if you want to compare this to contemporary Steven Wilson mixes......go ahead. In my opinion, that's not fair. If you are a HUGE Doors fan like myself, this is a MUST have and you need to crank it. Fun times.
Played it last nite at 84 db on my new system and LOVED, LOVED IT! Botnick nailed the ATMOS remixes. Except for the first few tracks from 4 track masters, the rest of the tracks are awesomeness reincarnated.

And now I can use the AF DOORS GH SACD and previous Rhino Quadio BD~A as, you guessed IT, DOOR STOPS!

An EASY PEASY 10!

Last edited:
This sounds really good overall and most songs have a decent amount of discrete activity going on. The song I was most interested in was The End so I went to that song first. Overall a major disappointment with regards to sounds coming from the rears, mostly reverb and ambiance. It was a little better than the Perception box but damn little. I take a full point off for that let down and therefor it only gets a 9 from me.

The song I was most interested in was The End so I went to that song first. Overall a major disappointment with regards to sounds coming from the rears, mostly reverb and ambiance.
Here's what Bruce Botnick said about how "The End" was recorded:
By the time we got to “The End,” we knew there weren't going to be any overdubs. That's the only song on the album, if you listen in stereo, where the drums are separate from the bass and the guitar and the organ. The bass and the drums are locked together, but the guitar and the organ are split, and Jim. I filled up all four tracks live. So, that's the only one where the instruments live are different.
So what can you do with one track of guitar, one track of organ, mono drums & bass, and a single vocal in surround?

I don't think it would really work to have the drums/bass/vocal upfront and then the guitar & organ hard-panned in the back corners (if you want to hear what this sounds like, just switch the front and rear channels of the 5.1 mix).

Had it been mixed for quad in the '70s, perhaps instead they would've kept the guitar and organ in front and then had the drums in the back? This is essentially was done for "Love Me Two Times" on the '73 compilation.

In any case, I would argue that it's not really possible to create a satisfying surround mix of this song - or any of the songs from the debut album, for that matter - because of how sparse the source recordings are.

Here's what Bruce Botnick said about how "The End" was recorded:

So what can you do with one track of guitar, one track of organ, mono drums & bass, and a single vocal in surround?

I don't think it would really work to have the drums/bass/vocal upfront and then the guitar & organ hard-panned in the back corners (if you want to hear what this sounds like, just switch the front and rear channels of the 5.1 mix).

Had it been mixed for quad in the '70s, perhaps instead they would've kept the guitar and organ in front and then had the drums in the back? This is essentially was done for "Love Me Two Times" on the '73 compilation.

In any case, I would argue that it's not really possible to create a satisfying surround mix of this song - or any of the songs from the debut album, for that matter - because of how sparse the source recordings are.
I'll have to check out Apocalypse Now again, for some reason my memory of that song in that movie felt like there was a lot more going on than what is happening on this mix (or the perception box). Maybe there was a lot of extraneous sound effects filling it out in the movie and my impression isn't accurate.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't much discrete activity.

There is no way the Atmos mix is a 10. The Atmos is thin and the upper mids are a bit overzealous. Several tracks, for obvious reasons, contain only ambience in the rears, but through out the album the heights are primarily only used in the backs, and again mostly for ambience. The biggest blunder is Jim speaking the take number over the start of Riders on the Storm. That significantly detracts from the songs opening appeal. I prefer the 5.1 mixes on this Blu-ray.

I've heard most of these songs in Atmos on Apple Music and like most of the mixes. As this is the same mixes, I see no reason that I should not like it from disc. The opening to Riders on the Storm is an absolute favorite for me, and my absolute favorite Doors song in any format. :cool:

Last edited:
There is no way the Atmos mix is a 10. The Atmos is thin and the upper mids are a bit overzealous. Several tracks, for obvious reasons, contain only ambience in the rears, but through out the album the heights are primarily only used in the backs, and again mostly for ambience. The biggest blunder is Jim speaking the take number over the start of Riders on the Storm. That significantly detracts from the songs opening appeal. I prefer the 5.1 mixes on this Blu-ray.

Maybe the engineer thought it would be a cool thing to leave in?

🤷‍♂️

I think it's kind of cool, or at the very least puts an interesting spin on a song I've heard 100 times. If you want a surround mix with the original intro, the quad and 5.1 versions are still available.
I like it (usually) when the new mixes offer up something different. Especially on tracks I've heard a gazillion times. I like the Fleetwood Mac 5.1s for that reason. I like that some of the old quad mixes are often quite different.

This easily could have been a mistake. OTOH, for the diehard fans that want to hear anything 'new' from Jim Morrison, I could see even a simple few words spoken during an intro might be a delight for them and therefore it being an artistic choice.

When I saw Apocalypse Now at the Ziegfield Theater in 70mm with 6 track Dolby in Manhattan upon its release, I was quite literally blown away by Walter Murch's sound design. Every nuance was articulated both in music and dialogue and I do believe Bill with those sound effects so skillfully blended in especially the segue from the overhead ceiling fan to the whirling helicopter blades I swear I never heard the Door's THE END sound so spine tingly magnificent!

Walter Murch, BTW, is a genius in sound design!

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004555/bio/
I don’t disagree Ralphie but there’s usually a major change in the quality of the experience when you have audio AND video together. And with Apocalypse Now in particular, it’s especially difficult to separate out the audio from the intense emotional impact of the video.

I don’t disagree Ralphie but there’s usually a major change in the quality of the experience when you have audio AND video together. And with Apocalypse Now in particular, it’s especially difficult to separate out the audio from the intense emotional impact of the video.
Not to mention that Manhattan's Ziegfield Theater at the time was afforded a meticulous fine grain 70mm print and had a state of the art sound system which made the experience absolutely jaw dropping!

And to begin the film with The Doors THE END was prophetic in itself considering the outcome of the Viet Nam 'conflict'.....as the futility of that ill advised conflagration ended the age of innocence for the US on the world stage!

BTW, I likewise like Morrison's spoken intro to Riders On The Storm. As Jonathan suggests, it does add a new layer of studio banter absent from previous versions especially when Jim suggests we need some thunder......and thunder front to rear and overhead is what we get...as the song begins!

Last edited:
Adding to my review, post #3.
This is the 2024 Blu Ray, 5.1 listen. I vote 7, this comparing to the Dolby Atmos mix, a 10 vote.
My vote of 10 in the upper rating box stays the same.
Flat and plain, no nothing that gets me going.
Blu Ray rip to FLAC, 24bit/96Khz DTS HD MSTR. DR's are 10, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14, 15, 17.
I am glad I took the time to listen to this 5.1 mix as it fortified my opinion of the stellar Dolby Atmos mix.

Please keep Poll Threads Pure to your listening experience only.

I suggest that lack of the ‘73 Quad mix is a miss, here.
Those who agree that the Quad is best, or want to explore whether it is, are forced to pick up The Singles on the OOP market.

Cheap, for now, but very limited supply…
The 73 quad mix is a different album with the same title.

The 73 quad mix is a different album with the same title.
Yeah… Rhino is pretty good, sometimes, at thinking outside the box.
And different albums, or titles, if you will, is not unheard of, for multichannel deluxe.
Ex: Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring.

It could just be thought of as bonus material.

Back