Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was concerned about my most recent order. When the package came in the mail yesterday, it didn't seem to sturdy. But I was totally wrong. Not one crack. 😁
PXL_20221014_213635092.jpg

But you received the 7 that you ordered, right? None were duplicated and no titles that you ordered were missing, right? If so, you got away with it. Do it again and the Odd Numbered Wraiths will come for you.

💀💀💀
Yes, I received them all. No dup. titles, nothing missing. No cracked cases.
But to be honest, it was after the fact that I realized I'd ordered an odd #...& yes, I was a bit worried😒....
Usually when ordering directly from DV, I do go with an even # of titles.

Last edited:
i have Art Garfunkel's Breakaway on the way. i just heard 99 Miles From LA the other day for the first time and really liked the song. did some research and lo and behold there's a multi channel SACD! you just never know
It's a breathtaking song, and Johnny Mathis also has an absolute killer version of it as well.

It's a breathtaking song, and Johnny Mathis also has an absolute killer version of it as well.
Gene, REALLY wish Michael J could access those Johnny Mathis QUAD masters ..... Now that would be VERY SPECIAL!

JOHNNY MATHIS -
I'm Coming Home. Columbia CQ-32435 (SQ), CAQ-32435 (DQ8)
I'm Stone In Love With You B/W I'm Coming Home. Columbia JBQ-504 (SQ45)
{Special Coin Operator release}
In Person. Columbia [2 LP] GQ-30979 (SQ), GAQ-30979 (Q8), CBS/Sony SOPL-22
Love Story. CBS/Sony SOPL-34003 (SQ) [Japan]
Me & Mrs. Jones. Columbia CQ-32114 (SQ), CAQ-32114 (Q8)
Song Sung Blue. Columbia CQ-31626 (SQ), CAQ-31626 (Q8), CBS/Sony SOPN-46
(SQ) [Japan]
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. Columbia CQ-31342 (SQ),
CAQ-31342 (Q8), CBS/Sony SOPN-36 (SQ) [Japan], CBS CQ-31342 (SQ)
[Yugoslavia]
When Will I See You Again. Columbia PCQ-33420 (SQ), CAQ-33420
(DQ8)
You've Got a Friend. Columbia CQ-30740 (SQ), CAQ-30740 (Q8),
CBS/Sony SOPL 9 (SQ) [Japan],

I just received the Mac Davis and REO Speedwagon discs, and they're excellent. That they fit 5 albums onto two discs, on the Mac Davis set, couldn't have been an easy feat. I have two of the albums on SQ LP, and while they sound quite good, the SACD just blows them away. I haven't played the REO yet, but will, soon. Since they have what appears to be full access to the Sony Music catalog, which includes RCA and Arista, along with the Columbia group of labels, I'm hoping there will be a lot more coming, for a long time.

Gene, REALLY wish Michael J could access those Johnny Mathis QUAD masters ..... Now that would be VERY SPECIAL!

JOHNNY MATHIS -
(SQ) [Japan]
[Yugoslavia]
(DQ8)
CBS/Sony SOPL 9 (SQ) [Japan], I
I would absolutely loose my mind if any or all of those were released by DV.

JOHNNY MATHIS -
(SQ) [Japan]
[Yugoslavia]
(DQ8)
CBS/Sony SOPL 9 (SQ) [Japan],
I would absolutely loose my mind if any or all of those were released by DV.
But what are the chances? Come on Ralph, you know you want to sing it...

Unless the Mathis QUAD masters are off the table and/or in unusuable condition, would be a GREAT chance for D~V to release their first QUAD box set since there are so many titles to choose from.

Fingers crossed.
But the Friends of Distinction, Kristofferson and Mac Davis packages with 4, 4 and 5 quad albums respectively are already 'box sets'...just without the 'box'.

But the Friends of Distinction, Kristofferson and Mac Davis packages with 4, 4 and 5 quad albums respectively are already 'box sets'...just without the 'box'.
But with 10 QUAD Albums, Mathis is a contender for a bona fide box set........unless Michael releases it as a thruple......3, 3 & 4 2 disc sets!

And that's if ALL 10 albums are eligible for release.

NOT with Dutton Vocalion's absolutely bargain basement pricing .... Just think if any of the American reissue companies released those QUAD masters on multi~CH SACD ...would likely be $30 PER disc .......list!
I've said this before and I will repeat myself ad infinitum...I just paid $150 including a high shipping fee for 19 DV albums. That is $7.89 per album. In 1968 I was saving my pennies to buy an occasional 45 rpm single for $0.89. That equates to $7.64 in today's dollars. So, for the equivalent of a 45 rpm record, in mono, purposely mastered to sound like crap, we are getting an entire quadraphonic high-resolution album...plus a high-res stereo layer and liner notes to boot.

The name of this thread should be changed to: Dutton Vocalion - what's NOT essential? It would be a lot shorter.

Well this old thread and the recommendations in it just cost me $155! And even after that, I'm already regretting not ordering their Earth Wind and Fire disc. Other than the Art Garfunkels, I haven't heard any of these albums in full, so this is going to be mostly new to me. I haven't even heard a single note of the Chase albums, but the descriptions sure have me intrigued.

Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
Return to Forever - Musicmagic
Rick Derringer - All American Boy & Spring Fever
The Guess Who - Road Food & #10
Poco - Cantamos & Seven

Well this old thread and the recommendations in it just cost me $155! And even after that, I'm already regretting not ordering their Earth Wind and Fire disc. Other than the Art Garfunkels, I haven't heard any of these albums in full, so this is going to be mostly new to me. I haven't even heard a single note of the Chase albums, but the descriptions sure have me intrigued.

Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
Return to Forever - Musicmagic
Rick Derringer - All American Boy & Spring Fever
The Guess Who - Road Food & #10
Poco - Cantamos & Seven
Both Art Garfunkel's are excellent. Definitely soft rock. The Chase is pure magic. If you like early Chicago, you'll love Chase. I have Return to Forever on SQ vinyl and, although I haven't played it in years, I remember it was quite nice. I don't own any of the others

Back