Dvd Audio Extractor Question or 2?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Hope we get an answer to this one, because I've had to combine tracks after the fact using Audacity, and this would save a lot of time!

Foobar2k can do it easily, if you start with the separate .wav or .flac files. You just select and 'convert' them to .flac again,using the default converter tool in foobar, choosing 'combine into one track' as an output option.

Latest version of DAE converts DTS 96/24 (and lossless DTS-HDMA/TrueHD 96/24 from BD if the disc is deencrypted) to FLAC at 96/24 directly

That's good to know. But I would expect 'same as input' to be the correct option for 96/24 .wav output of DTS 96/24 input, if that's true.

The screencap Snood is showing above, is for an MLP source.

Well I switched gears, and now ripping in FLAC instead of ogg. I did some reading and my biggest fear is that I spent a week ripping DVD-A's 5.1 in ogg but it seems like it is OK, still remains lossless, albeit the file size (bitrate) on ogg is in the 100's and the FLAC file size is in the 1000's. In hindsite I wish I had ripped all in FLAC and the tought of ripping them all over again makes me sick, about 70 DVD-A's but the drop down bar started at ogg and I never really paid attention. The good news as I am very successful with the ripping and tagging, so far I only have 5 that I couldn't rip for various reasons.
Please tell me that ogg is not real bad.

Assuming you have, or can make, an ogg and a flac version of the same .wav file:
If you decode the ogg and flac versions of the same file back to wav, the wav files should be identical.
That will tell you if you have done something 'bad' or not.

In all my experience (I have a fairly recent version of DAE, though perhaps not the latest), DAE CANNOT decode a DTS 96/24 stream directly to its native 96/24 PCM audio.

As Homer has stated above, this has changed. The change took place a year or two ago. DVDAE is no longer limited to core DTS and will decode and convert DTS to the full 24/96 FLAC or WAV. For whatever reason it still indicates 48k when it initially reads the file.

Thanks Atrocity. IIRC I mentioned in an earlier post that I ripped a song to undecoded DTS using DVD Audio Extractor. It had a .dts extension but the Oppo 205 did not "see" the file on the USB drive. Do you or anyone else know how to rip the undecoded DTS stream in a FLAC "wrapper" using DVD Audio Extractor without affecting sampling/bit rate?

I don't how to do that with DAE. But you can, with Audiomuxer (Windows only, sorry):

Download and install Audiomuxer
Open and choose Tools-->Convert AC3/DTS to SPDIF Wav/Flac
Choose 'select AC3/DTS files' and navigate to where your .dts files are (or drag and drop them into the window). The files' information will appear in the window.
Consider the options (FLAC level 6 output is default), change as desired , then hit 'SPDIF Wav' button.
Done.

As Homer has stated above, this has changed. The change took place a year or two ago. DVDAE is no longer limited to core DTS and will decode and convert DTS to the full 24/96 FLAC or WAV. For whatever reason it still indicates 48k when it initially reads the file.

Has this been confirmed by, say, comparing spectral output (or even a straight bit-comparison) of the .wav output of a 'known' DTS 96/24 decoder to what DAE outputs using 'Same as Input'?

Has this been confirmed by, say, comparing spectral output (or even a straight bit-comparison) of the .wav output of a 'known' DTS 96/24 decoder to what DAE outputs using 'Same as Input'?
I didn't compare the output. I just saw that they released a newer version that had the capability and uploaded it. I guess I took them at their word.

I didn't compare the output. I just saw that they released a newer version that had the capability and uploaded it. I guess I took them at their word.

I've looked at the revision info on their website and I see nothing about DTS 96/24. The most recent revision that mentions DTS is :

7.4.0 (2017-04-30)
  • Support DTS-HD MA audio streams.

http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/whatsnew

Both my receiver and MediaInfo are showing the 96/24 DTS files that I ripped to FLAC using DVD Audio Extractor as 96kHz.

Does this mean I can rip my DTS discs with DVD AE? I have about 12 to rip, but I am still ripping, successfully the DVD-A's at moment.
I also have about 4 DAD 24/96 discs to rip, what does that?
Then I am onto my BLU Ray collection.

DVD AE for your DTS DVDs. Foobar2000 with its DTS Decoder component for DTS -CDs. I don’t know what a DAD disc iis? MakeMKV and Music Media Helper or Audiomuxer for BDs (MMH is faster than AM and can semi automatically tag the tracks for BDA albums)

DVD AE for your DTS DVDs. Foobar2000 with its DTS Decoder component for DTS -CDs. I don’t know what a DAD disc iis? MakeMKV and Music Media Helper or Audiomuxer for BDs (MMH is faster than AM and can semi automatically tag the tracks for BDA albums)

I'm nervous already. When I use the Foobar 2000/DTS Decoder, does it have a ripping page and then goes into the My Documents folder or whatever after it is ripped and then I can drag over into the NAS ?

I'm nervous already. When I use the Foobar 2000/DTS Decoder, does it have a ripping page and then goes into the My Documents folder or whatever after it is ripped and then I can drag over into the NAS ?
When you use foobar to convert audio tracks (for instance, DTS-CD to wav or wav to flac or SACD.iso to flac), you specify which folder to output the flac files to under the "convert" drop-down.

The Foobar DTS Decoder component is on the Foobar2000 website in the Components tab.

You can convert by opening the CD from the menu. With the DTS Decoder installed it should play as DTS. You can convert direct to FLAC with Foobar too.

I own 3 DAD discs, all Alan Parsons Titles. They are 2 channel uncompressed PCM. Dual sided. 24/96 on one side, and higher sample rate on the other I think. I'm pretty sure DVDAE recognized them and ripped them properly.

I just ripped all three of these Parsons titles this afternoon/evening using DVDAE. They ripped just fine onto the hard drive. Just be sure to close your DVD program (in my case Apple iDVD) when you want to eject the disc from your computer's disc drive; otherwise it may not want to eject...Ask me how I know this!

I own 3 DAD discs, all Alan Parsons Titles. They are 2 channel uncompressed PCM. Dual sided. 24/96 on one side, and higher sample rate on the other I think. I'm pretty sure DVDAE recognized them and ripped them properly.

They are not 2 sided discs.
Here are two pictures of discs I own and you can see on the left spine how they are labeled.
s-l300.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Back