HiRez Poll Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA

• Total voters
So i just recently picked up the sacd. Its ok not the most agressive mix compared to some...maybe i just need to listen more...i like it but im not finding it as spectuclar as id imagined

I think i prefer quad mixes over 5.1

Im giving this one an 8

So i just recently picked up the sacd. Its ok not the most agressive mix compared to some...maybe i just need to listen more...i like it but im not finding it as spectuclar as id imagined

I think i prefer quad mixes over 5.1

Im giving this one an 8

Interesting observation because I use this one as my top surround sound demonstration disc. I definitely use it as one of my reference recordings. Different ears, different opinions!

Just now reading some reviews and realized I'd never voted on this one. It was one of my early DVD-A purchases and I've listened to it multiple times. Not much more to add to the many reviews, but I really like the mix and overall sound (as well as the music which is about my favorite of The Eagles.) I gave it a 10.

I never was a huge Eagles fan. Sure, I bought two of their albums back in the day, mainly because those two were in CD-4 and I was just starting my collection. But I decided to order this (and a few others) from Import CDs because...well....it's the Eagles and I thought i should really have it. You know, one of those discs that need to be in a collection.
I played it for the first time today and WOW. :oops:
I'm not the type of person who likes remastered, new mixes, etc., of older material. I want to hear the version that I knew and loved from way back when I listened to it on the radio. The popular version. Of course, I just want it to sound clearer. But when "Hotel California," the first track came on when I popped the disc in, I couldn't believe my ears. Wow. That mix! Incredible.
I'm so glad I bought this. I voted "9" but only because I'm still not the biggest Eagles fan overall. But I really should have made it a 10

I'm pretty burned out on most of the tracks here and not just the first three. But there is enough instrument separation that shows off supporting acoustic guitars and vocal parts that were previously fairly buried in the stereo mix, that it's still a "wow" experience for me here.

It's like a companion item to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours DVD-A, that other album that sold a billion copies, got over-played on radio and still packs a powerful experience in 5.1.

I'm putting aside my over-exposure to all the songs here, and going to rate this on songwriting, music performance, recording quality and the 5.1 mix. I'm leaving out disc formats, menu or none, etc. And give this a 10.

PS I loved the acoustic guitars sometimes featured prominently in rear chans.

A must have.
[IMG]
cheers

I agree. There most certainly is a slight difference. I have the titles on DVD-A and now on SACD and my statement holds true that all of them have a slightly warmer sound on the SACD format. Both formats sound great to my ears, but the formats have an inherent sound quality that makes each unique. If you can afford to, pick up the 10 SACD titles. The folks in Japan did a very good job on these titles that were formerly released on
DVD-A about 10 years ago.
I know it’s been over a decade but do you recall what the other nine titles are? CD Japan would most likely still have some of those in stock. And if not, they should do some repressings.

I know it’s been over a decade but do you recall what the other nine titles are? CD Japan would most likely still have some of those in stock. And if not, they should do some repressings.
I guess it's about this 10 titles on SACD:
WPCR-14165 The Eagles - Hotel California
WPCR-14166 Deep Purple - Machine Head
WPCR-14167 Yes - Fragile
WPCR-14168 Chicago - Chicago V
WPCR-14169 Linda Ronstadt - What's New
WPCR-14170 Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
WPCR-14171 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
WPCR-14172 Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
WPCR-14173 Foreigner - 4
WPCR-14174 The Doors - The Doors

Back