Eight Dollars More (MCH Blu-ray [Rhino] vs. MCH SACD [DV])

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Certainly there are other factors that affect album cost, but, paying about $8 more/MCH album to get it on a lossless (lossy compatible) Blu-ray seems like a good value to me (as has been mentioned, there are a lot more Blu-ray players in the hands of consumers than MCH SACD players).

Is another ~$8/MCH album a dealbreaker for anyone who buys MCH optical discs?

Kirk Bayne

Certainly there are other factors that affect album cost, but, paying about $8 more/MCH album to get it on a lossless (lossy compatible) Blu-ray seems like a good value to me (as has been mentioned, there are a lot more Blu-ray players in the hands of consumers than MCH SACD players).

Kirk Bayne
Not at all. I actually prefer Blu-ray.

Kirk Bayne
I'll take either format. But I do worry about "Blu-ray rot" that we've seen covered elsewhere on this forum.

Since I can play both, the format itself doesn’t matter.

I believe I have one album in both formats (maybe just DVD, I’ll have to check), and I prefer the SACD, but that could be the mix/master.

Blu-ray (and to some extent DVD-A) have the capability to include video. While not relevant to some releases, it's nice to have the Extras include pertinent video.
And at least 5 times the storage space on a Blu-ray over SACD (25GB vs 4.7GB). That can be a lot of MCH content on a single layer disc.

Back