Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA Blu-Ray Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still no sign of an Amazon UK pre-order on the HFPA Blu-ray...

..which it appears will be literally just the 17 original tracks of the double album, none of the bonuses from the 2003 SACD Deluxe Ed'n.

I caved and pre-ordered the box set at the bargain price at Amazon. I only recently got the 3 disc SACD/DVD version and am not sure if I'll plump for the HFPA version as it'll offer nought above that aside from this alleged new 2014 stereo master, and given I'm more about the 5.1, I'm not being persuaded much here.

But, I'm a collector with OCD and the lure will probably end up being too great and I'll cave, especially if all the others start arriving on Blu Ray.

Good morning Yellow Brick Cave! :p another version or three of GYBR was just what I needed :mad:@:

I want 5.1 Westies, Caribou, Blue Moves and Don't Shoot Me.. and I want them now, dammit! :ugham:

gotta watch out for that SACD OCD! it's catching! :D

speaking of which, how you getting on with all those EJ SACDs, Rob? anymore highlights since Tiny Dancer brought on veritable Tiny Tears? :p

Good morning Yellow Brick Cave! :p another version or three of GYBR was just what I needed :mad:@:

I want 5.1 Westies, Caribou, Blue Moves and Don't Shoot Me.. and I want them now, dammit! :ugham:

Ditto that!

I just noticed the 180g vinyl is a new vinyl-specific master. Curses...

tumblr_letxspA4jF1qcmrkno1_500.jpg

has anybody (RT?) who got in touch with him in the past and had some feedback emailed Greg Penny yet about the possibility of his remaining (outstanding) 5.1 mixes finally seeing release on HFPA Blu-ray? I would but he doesn't know me from Adam (or Fred!) :D

gotta watch out for that SACD OCD! it's catching! :D

speaking of which, how you getting on with all those EJ SACDs, Rob? anymore highlights since Tiny Dancer brought on veritable Tiny Tears? :p

Everything has pretty much been a highlight. I don't prefer any of them over any of the others. It's that rare occasion where the songsmithery is equal to the audio quality and mix.

I've even started picking up original EJ vinyl. Got a mint copy of Honky Château from Oxfam the other day, complete in it's envelope style outer jacket and tactile front cover! Oooh err! ;)

Everything has pretty much been a highlight. I don't prefer any of them over any of the others. It's that rare occasion where the songsmithery is equal to the audio quality and mix.

I've even started picking up original EJ vinyl. Got a mint copy of Honky Château from Oxfam the other day, complete in it's envelope style outer jacket and tactile front cover! Oooh err! ;)

they are full of highlights aren't they! the stereo layers could and should have been better sounding but the surround on all of them is extraordinarily good (rears a bit hot but at least there's a lot going on back there on every track on every album and 99% of the time it feels right!).. if there's ever been a concrete argument for revisionist surround remixing of something that never made it out in Quad and was conceived purely for stereo from the start its these Elton albums, music I'd grown tired of over 20+ years of near saturation is utterly transformed in these surround mixes.

as GP himself said (I'm paraphrasing) :"They've outsold everything else on SACD with the exception of Dark Side Of The Moon!" these were huge for the format and big for us Quaddies, yet we all know what happened :flame

Haha!! the Honky highlight of the old LP for me was the tactile flap! Ooh err indeed! :yikes

does your Honky Oxfam LP have the pasted on photo on the front? now that's the real deal! ;)

It does indeed! :)

the DJMs of those early albums are beauties to behold, the texture and feel of the gatefolds was very important to Elton and Bernie, voracious record lovers, the packaging had to be classy and gorgeous (to reflect the quality of the contents, of course!).

the Japanese Paper Sleeve CDs are gorgeous little things to own too, if you don't have any, they are rather special.

the Honky Jap paper CD also has the tactile flap and pasted on pic of a bearded EJ from the original LP, Cap Fan has ALL the Lyrics and Scraps and poster absolutely beautifully miniaturised (and the Jackie cartoon strip facsimile is still legible! Unlike the Scraps fax in the 2005 Deluxe Edition where it's all fuzzy!).. Westies has all the band pix from the inner sleeves (together with all the original hilarious captions which were left off the 95 Rocket remaster.. "Davey Johnstones huge plates of meat on the Cairngorms".. "Ray Cooper.. with his Emilio Varicosi legs..")!!!!! :D :D

I don't ever remember Nautilus doing GYBR. The one I had was a Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed master. Super Disk (not really.)
230747947570.jpg

My first one was a US 1st pressing (dupe) prerecorded cassette and it is still the best fidelity. (NOT!!) Ends with Gray Seal.
R-150-2560673-1290490750.jpeg

For 2ch listening, I like the MoFi Gold CD best.
udcd-526.gif

ALL the young girls love Alice...wait 'til my husband's away!

Oh crikey, really!? I have to draw the line somewhere! I already have 3 different LPs of GYBR! I'm sure our Linda has or has had more! I think she had the Nautilus Half Speed mastering at one point, very hard to get!

ah that's what I meant! (y) The Direct Disc Labs 1/2 Speed Super Disk! ah baby, that's The One! :banana:

was your GBYR cassette green or yellow? mine was green which I thought was kind of ironic seeing as DJM had a thing for yellow cassette shells and Yellow Brick Road would be the time to do a Yellow Brick Tape Shell!

the MoFo Gold CD is indeed da dogs' danglies! Nigel "I've Got The Biggest Drum Kit In The World" Olsson's drums have never sounded better! :worthy

It was an MCA (US) white plastic with the J card I depicted.

Direct Disk Labs was a company out of Nashville. Their QC sucked! I had easily 6 copies of Layla and each one skipped in the same spot! It was reputed that it was a guy who worked for a major label. He licensed titles from the majors and recorded some of his own. He used their pressing facility in off hours on the QT.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

ah that's what I meant! (y) The Direct Disc Labs 1/2 Speed Super Disk! ah baby, that's The One! :banana:

was your GBYR cassette green or yellow? mine was green which I thought was kind of ironic seeing as DJM had a thing for yellow cassette shells and Yellow Brick Road would be the time to do a Yellow Brick Tape Shell!

the MoFo Gold CD is indeed da dogs' danglies! Nigel "I've Got The Biggest Drum Kit In The World" Olsson's drums have never sounded better! :worthy

It was an MCA (US) white plastic with the J card I depicted.

Direct Disk Labs was a company out of Nashville. Their QC sucked! I had easily 6 copies of Layla and each one skipped in the same spot! It was reputed that it was a guy who worked for a major label. He licensed titles from the majors and recorded some of his own. He used their pressing facility in off hours on the QT.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

oh silly me! it was hard to tell with the fuzzocrappojpego! well that and I've never owned an MCA Elton cassette, only Elton MCA 8-tracks (white shells, the DJM EJ 8-tracks I have are green shells, they're like Teenage Mutant Ninja 8-Tracks ) and MCA LPs some with black labels, some with cloud & rainbow graphics.

apologies too, I'll get back on topic now. :eek:

"There's another one due in three months' time, she'll have to paint the spare room blue...."

soon my babies will have some new additions :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 413
Back