email today from DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhousequad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
We at 5.1 Marketing would like to express our gratitude for your patronage during this past year, whether you are a new customer or returning our goal is to keep your better informed. We are commited to service and would welcome any personal questions you have regarding your surround music selection, which recordings offer a richer surround listening experience or any other questions you have regarding 5.1 surround sound music.

Our goal is to add over 200 new 5.1 surround titles starting now and continuing through 2006, any comments questions or suggestions you have, please email us at [email protected]. We will do our best to answer all of your questions and share the answers with the rest of our great music lovers.

This is are chance to send in our list of wants
roundhousequad
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Not to be a wet blanket, but I'm pretty sure that 5point1 is a retailer and NOT the same as the DTS Company. If their goal is to add 200 titles, I'm fairly certain they are referring to adding new titles to their own stock, which has nothing to do with bringing new titles to market. If you send these guys your wish list, well, keep wishing... you'll be barking up the wrong tree.

I always thought that these two were sorta related. Tad (quadtrade) would know, but I believe he's in transit. :D

Interesting that their "About Me" page is blank.

I believe these are the people who "invented" the Millenium, and is the company that Brad Miller started and Tad worked for. I don't think they are owned by DTS, however I think these are the people that licensed and released the DTS CDs.

If this is true, and they want to do 200 next year, then.......THAT'S COOL!

Someone from that company should speak out here. We are their core!

I called Tad, but it seems there is no answering machine hooked up at this time. I expect to see him sometime in the next few days, as the Moodies are playing here next week and there is a record show tomorrow.

I think that 5 point 1 Entertainment is possibly part of the Silverline company, which would explain why they can boast of 200 upcoming titles. What you can't see is the incredibly tiny print that says "PS: these are all fake surround synthesized from old radio broadcasts and other such high quality sources".

Dave.

steelydave said:
I think that 5 point 1 Entertainment is possibly part of the Silverline company, which would explain why they can boast of 200 upcoming titles. What you can't see is the incredibly tiny print that says "PS: these are all fake surround synthesized from old radio broadcasts and other such high quality sources".

Dave.

I think you are right about them being "linked" somehow with Silverline. :(

However, t

steelydave said:

Dave.

However, the

steelydave said:

Dave.

However, the original quad DTS CDs were great!

Hey all,
i am actually in eugene and Brads son(my realtor, he lives here in Eugene) and i are trying to find a house. stole my daughters laptop to get online for the moment. Container is on the mainland, though not here yet. Did not drop in the ocean!!!:)
The company in question is owned by Patricia, Brads wife when we started this. We all owned the Mill and this company was started to market Multidiscs, including the stuff we were doing in the beginning(Miller Nevada) which was Brad. They continue to do the Mystic Mood material, which was Brads, and DTS and whatever else they can sell from their website. I will chat with her and find out what the 200 disc statement was about, but count on it being about marketing only. Maybe DTS is gonna issue a few but nothing like that i know. I will try and catch up on all the news later. Kinda weird to some folk, but glad to be on the mainland, but is it COLD!!!! But looking forward to digging out all the gear and doing records and tapes again!!!:phones Tad

Well it will be nice if there are more titles.
There is a small problem happening in that some of the newer receivers (e.g. most of the entire sony range) can't process dts cd's anymore...only dts dvd 's..
hook up the digital lead into a new sony receiver and with a dts cd all you get is white noise..but dts dvd movies are fine.

5 Point 1 Entertainment are indeed "linked" to Silverline.
They are the Parent company who run three labels:
Silverline
Myutopia
Immergent
Alan Parsons is on the Myutopia part, and their main front web page is at
http://www.5point1.net/label.php

@ Christopher Lees - that is an odd problem.
Could it possibly be related to the DTS-CD being at a sample rate of 44.1KHz (at least this is the header information) and DTS-DVD being at 48KHz.
Can your DVD player output the bitstream from DTS-CD only or will it decode internally to PCM like my Denon does?
If you can set the DTS to PCM output in the player, it will not matter what the AV amp does as it will get the surround PCM files instead of a bitstream it cannot read.
Bit of a clanger from Sony though, althopugh I have to admit that nothing they do these days surprises me any more.
Look how they are screwing up DualDisc with not even any multichannel at all these days on the vast majority of their releases!

neil wilkes said:
5 Point 1 Entertainment are indeed "linked" to Silverline.
5.1 Marketing and Sales = www.5point1.com

5.1 Entertainment = www.5point1.net

These two companies, despite having similar company names and internet domain names, are separate and distinct! They have no relation to one another other than having coincident names.

Also, it is no coincidence that 5.1 Marketing and Sales offers NO products produced by 5.1 Entertainment or their various subsidiary labels. 5.1 Marketing and Sales deals primarily with DTS and legacy HDS/Miller-Nevada product.

There is still a question about the relationship between 5.1 Marketing and Sales and DTS, but there is absolutely no relationship between 5.1 Marketing and Sales and 5.1 Entertainment.

Cai Campbell said:
5.1 Marketing and Sales = www.5point1.com

5.1 Entertainment = www.5point1.net

These two companies, despite having similar company names and internet domain names, are separate and distinct! They have no relation to one another other than having coincident names.

Also, it is no coincidence that 5.1 Marketing and Sales offers NO products produced by 5.1 Entertainment or their various subsidiary labels. 5.1 Marketing and Sales deals primarily with DTS and legacy HDS/Miller-Nevada product.

There is still a question about the relationship between 5.1 Marketing and Sales and DTS, but there is absolutely no relationship between 5.1 Marketing and Sales and 5.1 Entertainment.
The relatonship falls into the 'been there since we started type" in fact we were the ones who initiated this concept of getting started with quad material, since there was no material otherwise and no prior multi material for 25 years. They needed us, we needed them. It goes a bit deeper as some early DTS titles were really owned by Miller Nev but issued as DTS Entertainment so they could get DTS Entertainment up and running. We were hoping they would dump $ into doing new titles which were expensive, and they needed a track record to get into vaults. They balked after a few, it became apparent it was at least 25,000 a title. That versus the 5 grand it cost us to get a quad title issued.

Welcome back to the "great 48", Tad!

Question for you. I assume that the DTS CDs went away because of SACD and DVD-A, but what are the chances of them coming back with the remaining titles that you guys originally got. (I seem to remember you telling me that you guys obtained the rights to 40 Columbia Group quad titles.)

JonUrban said:
(I seem to remember you telling me that you guys obtained the rights to 40 Columbia Group quad titles.)
At the time, DTS told me the The Adventures Of Panama Red by The New Riders Of The Purple Sage was to be their next release (along with the Johnny Mathis title---this did came out), but it never appeared.

Back