Exciting new decoder purchase 'Compcor'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqdave1975

I went to the National Vintage Communications Fair (NVCF) in Birmingham (UK) yesterday and came home with an extraordinary decoder for just £40!
The unit was made around 1978 by 'Compcor' in the UK and astonishingly supports SQ (Full logic with Variable Blend), QS Type 'A' Variomatrix, BBC Matrix H, 45JB and CD-4.

The SQ and CD-4 portions were optional 'modules' and mine is sadly lacking the CD-4 module, however, an external one can be patched in via RCA's at the back.

The Sansui type A Variomatrix section utilizes two circuit boards, and four IC's
HA1327 x 2, HA1328 and HD3103PB, however the PCB's are a Compcor design
rather than the usual Sansui boards we are familiar with.

The SQ section also uses two boards, and is totally separate entity unlike the Sansui QSD-2. The top board is discrete 'basic' SQ decoder of Compcor design, whereas the board below utilizes the Motorola MC1314P and MC1315P IC's (VCA and Logic Circuit).

I've only really played with it for a short time, I tried the Vector 4 'QS' test record and Dark Side of the Moon for SQ.......

The QS Variomatrix is spot on, and easily as good as the decoder in the QRX-8001 I used to own.

SQ is good, but not in the same league as the Tate. Separation is suprisingly good, and the sound is very smooth, but response time is a little poor leading to some noticeable steering errors. Still very respectable as a backup unit for the Tate.

I don't have any BBC Matrix H or 45JB material to test, but if anyone wants to send me a CD or such like, I can try it.

Pics of the unit can be found here

http://photobucket.com/albums/v68/rstdave/Compcor/

Apologies for the quality, but they were taken in a hurry. Also included is an advert from "What Hi-Fi?" magazine - August 1978. I remember reading it ages ago and dug out the magazine as soon as I got home!!!

:banana:

Very cool to see all of the real logos on the front!

Dave,
You have an excellent decoder there. Compcor made decoder kits and ready built units in the 70's, and to find one with Matrix H is a find indeed. The QS decoder circuit is almost identical to the Sansui QSd-2, but without the tagged on SQ bits. The SQ circuit is the Motorola reference design (I have circuits and alignment instructions!) based on the MC 1314/1315 Logic. It is a bog basic steering decoder, but performance is not too bad. There is a reference to this decoder in Scott Varner's article "A Variomatrix Survival Guide".
Does the Matrix H section have any logic enhancement?. I posted a fix for decoding Matrix H using a QS decoder in one of the other sections. Both Omega4 and myself have a BBC Matrix H broadcast on cd from the 70's, and anyone with David Bedford's Instructions for Angels cd will have a Matrix H source.

Cheers

Malcolm

I've just come across a Compcor decoder which as far as I can see works (I can get stereo sound out by plugging a source into the aux input and selecting stereo) though I don't have any source material which I could use to test the decode sections of it. It will go onto Ebay in the next week or so so if anyone has any interest in owning one please look there.

Back