Fell Into Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meta_noia_fot

Hi Everyone.

Through a tremendous amount of luck, I've fallen into quad sound. My grandfather died a few years ago, but my grandmother just got around to dealing with his quad receiver. I jumped at the chance to get his QRX-7500. I took it to a local hi-fi repair shop and it only needed basic maintenance. I was already running an AT VM750SH on a low-capacitance turntable (a stock AR "The Turntable"), so after tracking down a CD-4 adjustment disc, I was on my way.

I've got CD-4 up and running reasonably well at this point. I only have a couple quad records at this point, but the Serebrier-conducted Charles Ives' Symphony No. 4 sounds pretty excellent (it's also maybe my favorite symphonic piece). I don't have any matrix recordings yet but I've ordered one (The World of Harry Partch, which I already have in stereo and love).

I wasn't sure how much time, money, and effort I wanted to put into quad sound, but after these promising early results, I want to keep digging deeper. So what would you do from here? How can I maximize my enjoyment of the 7500? I've been experimenting with the QS Synthesizer on stereo records and that's a lot of fun. Are there other sources I could connect to the receiver besides LP, reel, or 8-track (not that I have a quad reel player or 8-track yet)?

Thanks!

@
Are you interested in the digital side, or keep your analog purity?

More just for curiousity, what speaker setup are you running? Did you inherit granddad's, or have your own?
I’m open to digital sources as well.

My speakers aren’t identical but closely enough related that it’ll do for now I think. I’m really into AR equipment. I have a pair of AR-6’s in front and a pair of AR-2x’s in the back. In a bigger room they might be too inefficient, but I’m in a 10x10’ space for the time being.

@

I’m open to digital sources as well.

My speakers aren’t identical but closely enough related that it’ll do for now I think. I’m really into AR equipment. I have a pair of AR-6’s in front and a pair of AR-2x’s in the back. In a bigger room they might be too inefficient, but I’m in a 10x10’ space for the time being.
Nice! I've got AR TSW 510s in the front and 210s in the sides. Rather different era, of course...

And digital opens a ton of options, everything from a universal player for SACD/DVD-A/Blu Ray discs, to FLAC files on a PC (I do the latter for convenience and from not having money to burn on players and upmixing hardware, while open-source software is free).

I wasn't sure how much time, money, and effort I wanted to put into quad sound, but after these promising early results, I want to keep digging deeper. So what would you do from here? How can I maximize my enjoyment of the 7500? I've been experimenting with the QS Synthesizer on stereo records and that's a lot of fun. Are there other sources I could connect to the receiver besides LP, reel, or 8-track (not that I have a quad reel player or 8-track yet)?

Thanks!
One thing I can tell you for sure is that you can spend more than you want to on this addiction. And the producers and musicians keep cranking out new stuff that seems like it’s calling your name. We’re a pretty friendly bunch here, even the mods, but I’ve run across several who are a danger to my financial health.

So welcome to the pit! I hope you find a lot of pleasure in your listening (and tinkering). Oh, and congratulations on your CD-4 success! There are a few threads here that bemoan bad experiences.

Nice! I've got AR TSW 510s in the front and 210s in the sides. Rather different era, of course...

And digital opens a ton of options, everything from a universal player for SACD/DVD-A/Blu Ray discs, to FLAC files on a PC (I do the latter for convenience and from not having money to burn on players and upmixing hardware, while open-source software is free).
I've been flirting with trying out SACD for awhile. Maybe multichannel is what will push me into it finally. Thanks for the the FLAC suggestion too...it hadn't occurred to look into multichannel files. Adding that to the pile of things to look up.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that you can spend more than you want to on this addiction. And the producers and musicians keep cranking out new stuff that seems like it’s calling your name. We’re a pretty friendly bunch here, even the mods, but I’ve run across several who are a danger to my financial health.

So welcome to the pit! I hope you find a lot of pleasure in your listening (and tinkering). Oh, and congratulations on your CD-4 success! There are a few threads here that bemoan bad experiences.
Thanks for the welcome! The CD-4 success is a pleasant surprise. I'd read some of the threads in which people had trouble and I didn't get my hopes too high.

I don't know if the system sounds exactly how it should but it sounds nice to me. My quad setup is the only one I've ever heard, so I have nothing to judge it against. I was born in the mid-80's so all my equipment and recordings are older than me.

Hi Everyone.

Through a tremendous amount of luck, I've fallen into quad sound. My grandfather died a few years ago, but my grandmother just got around to dealing with his quad receiver. I jumped at the chance to get his QRX-7500. I took it to a local hi-fi repair shop and it only needed basic maintenance. I was already running an AT VM750SH on a low-capacitance turntable (a stock AR "The Turntable"), so after tracking down a CD-4 adjustment disc, I was on my way.

I've got CD-4 up and running reasonably well at this point. I only have a couple quad records at this point, but the Serebrier-conducted Charles Ives' Symphony No. 4 sounds pretty excellent (it's also maybe my favorite symphonic piece). I don't have any matrix recordings yet but I've ordered one (The World of Harry Partch, which I already have in stereo and love).

Thanks!
Welcome. On your QS Synthesizer, how do the plugs connect to your reciever to get best sound? Thats my question. Thanks.

Welcome! And congrats on the CD4 quad success!

Like a great many here, I've journeyed through the CD4 path, matrix, stereo to surround (S2S) synthesis, Surround Master (not different than matrix and S2S, but in a different league), digital streaming and most recently Bluray surround. It's all so much fun...and expensive. Eventually I got tired of keeping my vintage gear running correctly....but still love the gear. I even just turn on my QRX to look at the beautiful beast while I stream or Bluray some fantastic surround via much more modern gear.

For no particular reason, other than my surround experience, I think I'd consider adding a bluray or universal player to your QRX. I'd be curious your thoughts between the analog album experience vs. a digital based source. I almost hate to admit it (not sure why), but my recent experience with the Tears For Fears surround Bluray (The Hurting) was very very impressive. The clarity is crazy. It is not my all time favorite album, but the mix and sound is quite a different experience from vinyl for me.

But then again, I threw on Rastaman Vibration on the old Technics the other day, and it gave me goosebumps. It was incredible in a different way.

And then I can't seem to get tired of listening to A Beautiful Time by Willie Nelson via Apple Music.

I'm just jabbering, but I think introducing a digital element would be fun.

Welcome aboard I have the exact same reciever and have enjoyed it for many years,I added digital media with an Oppo universal player and a extra small amp for the center channel,I can now stream FLAC files ffrom my PC and play disks \m/.P.S. keep your wallet handy it's part of this hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_103123954 22 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20210720_103123954 22 - Copy.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Hi Proufo: Welcome to your new lifetime money pit. No, it really isn't that bad, just a big expense at first getting up and running, and it looks like you got that licked. The reason you came out all right on CD-4, is that you have a good quality cartridge and stylus. The AT Microline stylii are an improvement over the legacy Shibata designs. I would suggest you add a Surround Master V3 to your setup to use for SQ and stereo. It'll be your decision as to whether it beats Variomatrix, I've never listened to a Variomatrix system, but I hear they're good. The Surround master does QS too. I bought one to replace my old Audionics Space and Image Composer, which was the premium decoder before the Surround Master cane along. It was just in time, because the old Audionics and Fosgate Tate systems are dying off and they have chips made from pure unobtanium. I also suggest you find an Oppo universal Blu Ray player. Thay will play SACD's DVD Audios, Blu Ray's and even DTS and Dolby discs. Movies too. Ebay is a perfect source of recordings, and I have procured more than half my collection there. You can get quad.equipment there also. You might also want to get a stereo amplifier that has power level to match your Sansui. I suggest another Sansui. They might even have a stereo amp along the same styling as the receiver you already have. Use it for the center channel and the bass channel. Or do what I did, and just get three powerful stereo amplifiers. I use the Sansui AU717's. They're big and beefy. Well, Good luck with your newfound hobby, and I hope you find my suggestions useful.
The Quadfather

I have some more beginner questions hopefully people could help me out with.

My quad setup is currently taken apart due to a home renovation, but after several months apart I'll have it back together this weekend. The setup currently is:
Sansui QRX-7500
Marantz SLT-12U running an AT750SH for CD-4
Teac A-3440 (new to me and should be back from a shop in a month)
4 - AR-3a speakers
No digital multichannel sources yet

I've just ordered my first Q4 tapes and they should be here shortly. I also have several sealed CD-4 records I collected during this renovation that haven't been played yet. I would like to back up the nice CD-4 records but especially the tapes.

1. What hardware do I need to connect my quad receiver's Rec Out rca jacks to a Macbook Pro in order to make multichannel flac backups?

2. What software do I need to record and play back multichannel flac files?

3. How do others care for Q4 and other reel tapes? I've had a stereo reel player (RT-707) for a year or so, but not many tapes. Q4 is so expensive that I want to make sure I'm not harming the tapes in some way. Do you people play the Q4's directly or primarily make and play backups? Any other care tips (something something tails out)?

I have other percolating questions about recording on the 3440, but I'll save those for another day.

Latest posts

Back