• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Figuring out interest in DVD-As from old Q8s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THX1136

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in DVD-A copies of any of the titles I have. Some background: I lost my job in 2009 around the time a friend I worked with did a deal with me. He gave me a working Q8 player/receiver in return for my doing up all of my Q8s along with the 5 or 6 he had. I'd have to check my list - which is no where to be found at the moment - but it was around 40+ albums. (I can provide/compile a list if there is any interest. I am currently doing up the 3 or 4 of mine he didn't want.)

Here's what I did: All tapes were dumped into my G4 through an M-Audio Delta 44 into Pro Tools 7. Aside from the usual things like DC Offset removal and level optimization I "tweaked" stuff where necessary. I used Sound Soap for hiss removal which does a good job with little artifacts. If I had the CD of the album I made sure that things were right pitch-wise (the player ran a bit fast). On a tape by tape basis I corrected any phase issues caused by bad azimuth. I did do some eq to compensate for worn tapes, but tried to keep that to a minimum. Discs were burned using Disc Welder Bronze.

I made up fake center and sub channels. For the center I took FL/FR dropped 8 dB mono and applied a band pass (400/3K) filter. The frequencies were picked arbitrarily as being representative of a band pass. For the sub I ran all channels through a low pass filter set at 100Hz with a 24dB/oct. slope. 100Hz was picked arbitrarily also. I reasoned that most "in the box" surround systems used speakers that more than likely rolled off in the 80 to 100Hz area (hence the included sub in these systems). Other than dropping the center channel by 8 dB I did not "equalize" the center and sub levels since I figured listeners could set them to taste - and old guys like myself would most likely not use either since we would have 4 full range speakers anyway.

There were some albums that cut some songs short for the 8-track - the Supersession album and one of Tomita's comes to mind. If I had the cd release I added the missing material and, by using different filtering, panning and placement, turned it into fake quad. The bits for these two albums were quite short and I think they came out okay. (in the ear of this beholder anyway.)

I realize that I can't "sell" these due to copyright considerations which I feel is only right. I cannot afford to just give them away either. I would probably ask for covering the cost of the blank, case, postage and time - each 40 min. tape represents 4+ hours of time spent at a minimum not counting the extra spent with processing and tweaking. I may be open to trading for stuff I am interested in. If you are interested let me know. I'll try to post a list of all the albums that I can do up soon.

Thanks.

I just read the guideline thread and it sounds like my "offer" is not permitted. That's cool. I don't want to mess things up for anyone - including this site and the folks here. I apologize for "speaking before thinking".

Trading is cool, but offers to sell are not permitted for obvious reasons. What you do in PMs is between you and other members.

Thanks Jon for being gracious. The description for this forum made it sound like selling was permitted. I should have read the guideline FAQ first.

ron

Here's a list of the stuff I have as promised.

ALLMAN BROS. - LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST
AMERICA - HOLIDAY
HEARTs
ART GARFUNKEL - BREAKAWAY
BERSTEIN - HIGHLIGHTS FROM MASS
BILLY PRESTON - MUSIC IS MY LIFE
CAT STEVENS - TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN
CHOPIN’S GREATEST HITS
CONCERT HALL - CQ10705 (PORTION)
DOOBIE BROS. - CAPT. & ME
STAMPEDE
EAGLES - ON THE BORDER
EDGAR WINTER GROUP - THEY ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
ERIC CLAPTON - 461 OCEAN BLVD.
FOCUS - MOVING WAVES
FORD - A KALEIDOSCOPE OF QUADRAPHONIC SOUND
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE
GEORGE BENSON - BODY TALK
GUESS WHO - ROAD FOOD
IGUANA - THE WINDS OF ALAMAR
JEFF BECK - BLOW BY BLOW
JOHN KEATING - 250 YEARS OF FILM MUSIC (PORTION)
JONI MITCHELL - COURT & SPARK
THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS
KOOPER/STILLS/BLOOMFIELD - SUPERSESSION
JOHN LENNON - WALLS AND BRIDGES
MELISSA MANCHESTER - MELISSA
MOODY BLUES - 7TH SOJOURN
DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED
QUESTION OF BALANCE
NILSSON - SCHMILSSON
OZARK MTN. DAREDEVILS - IT’LL SHINE WHEN IT SHINES
PAUL HORN & THE CONCERT ENSEMBLE
PINK FLOYD - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
POCO - DELIVERIN’
RICK DERRINGER - ALL AMERICAN BOY
RICK WAKEMAN - KING ARTHUR ALBUM
6 WIVES OF HENRY THE VIII
SEALS & CROFTS - UNBORN CHILD
SIMON & GARFUNKEL - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
SOUTHER HILLMAN FURAY BAND - 1ST
STEELY DAN - CAN’T BUY A THRILL
TOMITA - THE PLANETS
FIREBIRD
KOSMOS
SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING
WEATHER REPORT - MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER

Hey THX1136, that is a very nice list, some great titles in there. Have you considered contacting OxfordDickie with this? Perhaps he can add them to his blog? That is, provided you're willing to give your work to him to share with the world for free. Personally, I'd also pay for some of these and the time you have invested in them. What is the average sound quality you got out of your masters?

Thought i'd just say if your willing to do something for the Quadraphiles around the world, please do contact me direct so we can discuss it

OD

BS - I was not aware of OD - but I see he has added a message here. Some tapes were very good quality - to me anyway. Some were only good to fair - Apostrophe was one that most fits that category. It sounded quite worn. I am planning to revisit it to see if it can be improved any. The Joni Mitchell stuff is in the very good as those tapes never played well in my car deck at the time so they are hardly used. On average I would say the quality was at the very least above average. We're talking 8 tracks here so the limitation in fidelity of the medium is a limiting factor. Since I understand the limitations I don't expect SACD or DVD-A quality of the new releases available today. I always quite liked the sound in my car which is the main place I listened to these. I still have a few to complete - the friend who I did these for was not interested in about 4 or 5 of mine. I do plan on investigating your suggestion. Thanks for your interest.

Back