For old time QQ'ers - a blast back 20+ Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But did you wear bell bottoms???? I did. Navy jeans at the time were bell bottoms! If I would have saved those things (Seafarer's), I'd be in the money as they go for big bucks these days
I was stationed stateside during Nam and lived off base in Junction City, Kansas and remember going to this odd little boutique and they had these awesome genuine suede bell bottom pants with matching suede vest and this really cool shirt and with my meager salary I HAD to have them all and it didn't hurt that the sales girl was drop dead gorgeous [I even snapped a polaroid of her] and she was originally from Poughkeepsie, New York.

Remarkably, I still have the set hanging in my closet but at the time my waist was 32" ........ so doubtful I'll squeeze into them any time soon.

And at the time, I remember the pants/vest came to about $75 ......I'd probably pay way MORE for just the shirt alone nowadays!

I was stationed stateside during Nam and lived off base in Junction City, Kansas and remember going to this odd little boutique and they had these awesome genuine suede bell bottom pants with matching suede vest and this really cool shirt and with my meager salary I HAD to have them all and it didn't hurt that the sales girl was drop dead gorgeous [I even snapped a polaroid of her] and she was originally from Poughkeepsie, New York.

Remarkably, I still have the set hanging in my closet but at the time my waist was 32" ........ so doubtful I'll squeeze into them any time soon.

And at the time, I remember the pants/vest came to about $75 ......I'd probably pay way MORE for just the shirt alone nowadays!

You must have been shopping on The Plaza, KC MO. Maybe.
I would like to see that Polaroid!

You must have been shopping on The Plaza, KC MO. Maybe.
I would like to see that Polaroid!
I used to go to the Plaza in KC week ends with my army buddies ...loved that place! But that little boutique was in Junction City, KS [where they apprehended Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombings].

And yes, I still have that Polaroid [where...escapes me] and she was dressed in a chic tie dyed outfit but she had a boyfriend at the time so I couldn't make my move. But there were definitely sparks! This was around 1971!

I remember going to a diner in rural Kansas and asked for a BAGEL to which the waitress replied "Isn't that a small dog?" It's a good thing this good Christian boy from the suburbs of New Yawk didn't ask for a bagel with a smear of cream cheese or she might've reported me to PETA!

Last edited:
I wish I could say I've been here since the start, how fun that would have been! Yet, I found QQ not by word of mouth. I had been a moderator on a long since closed audio/video forum called Hi-Def Junkies (dumb name, I know) and I was looking for some place where I could talk about music mostly. Never been a video guy, much. My searches took me here. At that time in 2013, I was also really getting into multi-channel music and this place was a match made in heaven!

I started in defense (Hughes, because my dad worked there), went to Altec for a couple of years and found it fascinating, but I really didn’t see that there were any significant breakthroughs to be made any time soon (digital wasn’t fast enough in the early 70s, and although quad had popped up, I didn’t see much interesting engineering to be done), so I figured video had a LOT to be engineered. I was pretty sure there would be record players that could do movies and TV shows in the future, and the world needed a consumer-friendly video tape recorder, so I put my efforts into learning that technology.

Unfortunately, neither of those developments took place in SoCal, where I was living at the time, but I did end up working with VCRs and videodiscs, not to mention cameras and film chains during my career, working for a variety of systems integrators, product manufacturers, and CCTV firms over the years.

I never turned my back on audio, though. I figured out a way to run my TV’s audio through my stereo’s speakers way back in 1973, when my Tv was a GE portable. The only time I used my TV’s speakers was when my room was not available (being built or disassembled because of a move).

I started in defense (Hughes, because my dad worked there), went to Altec for a couple of years and found it fascinating, but I really didn’t see that there were any significant breakthroughs to be made any time soon (digital wasn’t fast enough in the early 70s, and although quad had popped up, I didn’t see much interesting engineering to be done), so I figured video had a LOT to be engineered. I was pretty sure there would be record players that could do movies and TV shows in the future, and the world needed a consumer-friendly video tape recorder, so I put my efforts into learning that technology.

Unfortunately, neither of those developments took place in SoCal, where I was living at the time, but I did end up working with VCRs and videodiscs, not to mention cameras and film chains during my career, working for a variety of systems integrators, product manufacturers, and CCTV firms over the years.

I never turned my back on audio, though. I figured out a way to run my TV’s audio through my stereo’s speakers way back in 1973, when my Tv was a GE portable. The only time I used my TV’s speakers was when my room was not available (being built or disassembled because of a move).
I don't think I ran the audio from a TV through an AVR until the advent of the Sony hi def tube tv's. Remember those? I think mine was a 34" and weighed as much as a gorilla it seemed.

But did you wear bell bottoms???? I did. Navy jeans at the time were bell bottoms! If I would have saved those things (Seafarer's), I'd be in the money as they go for big bucks these days
I remember those. A friend got out of the Navy with a beard (Zumwalt allowed them) and sporting those bell bottoms. I think though memory fades that I was off to Nam about that time or just getting back. Not sure just remember him having a beard and wearing those bell bottoms.

Oh yes I did for quite some time . Bell bottom jeans were the going rage back in the later 60's . And I grew my hair down to my ass as well.
And who could forget the young tarts..... I was always in a state of frustration, thanks to those tarts that wore mini skirts... which were the majority of young females ......some were so short you could see the bottom curve of the girl's bum.😍

Back