For old time QQ'ers - a blast back 20+ Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first really met "quad" in July 1970. I used a friend's Electropjonic stereo (with RCA jacks for the speakers) and made an adaptor using RCA jack blocks to play the Dynaco Diamond.

I have not left "quad" since.

I am hiptone on that early list.

Anyway some of us actually came from the yahoo group Jon had started. I think it was called QQ as well? Jon could tell us. But that group was pretty active and excited about sharing our quad experiences. DTS was still a new thing. DVD-A and SACD was brand new and players were very expensive I recall. DVD-A players were running $450 to $500 and did not even play SACD.

Is there not available a master list of members? There are many old timers I don't see around anymore, though I know they haven't (all) left the planet yet.
Some very long term members I will see in the polls that have not posted in a long time, but I will click on their names and see that they still check in to read up on what’s going on. Seems this forum has members who turn into “lurkers” after a while rather than dying off or quitting completely.

This forum has added a lot to my listening experience. I never had a Quad setup but I did have speakers in the back and a subwoofer in 1978 when I was only playing stereo. Surround came with DVD-A and SACD. Now everything is on hard drives. Thanks to all who have added to my experience.

Anyway some of us actually came from the yahoo group Jon had started. I think it was called QQ as well? Jon could tell us. But that group was pretty active and excited about sharing our quad experiences. DTS was still a new thing. DVD-A and SACD was brand new and players were very expensive I recall. DVD-A players were running $450 to $500 and did not even play SACD.
My first "universal" players were the Samsung DVD-HD841 and DVD-HD941. I don't recall the year but both would play SACD and DVDA. Later could be hacked to play SACD-R. The main difference between the two was the 841 had DVI and the 941 had HDMI.
Still have the 841, gave the 941 to my stepson.

My first jump back into surround since Quad was with DTS-CD with a Sony 5.1 AVR and a Sony CD player connected via toslink. I collected DTS-CD's, then finally jumped into DVDA and SACD.
Even locating DTS-CD was very hard as I live in a rural area and there was no internet back then. I found out about releases on Compuserve and other BB's then had to find a way to order them. Then one day Al Gore invented the internet and things got easier. lol.

Was trying to find when the Samsung HD841 came out, looks like circa 2004. So must have bought it "open box" in 2005 and a new world was opened up for me.
Then the madness of disc collecting kicked into overdrive. lol. Guess I should just trash it, they go for about $40 these days. But it's history for me.

Maybe they are sick of Atmos, Atmos, Atmos. They like the old quad.

LOL, you just described this FNG.
I don't understand the dynamics of multi channel music, don't have a clue what most abbreviations here stand for, and at 70 too old to learn.
Got into quad in the 70s with my purchase of a Sansui setup. Bought a old PanHead Harley and lived in bars.
Mini Skirts and Free Love was a great time to be alive. Throw in a jamming home stereo and you pad was the weekend place to be.
Iam just waiting for my refurbished 9001 Sansui to come back to life and transport me back to1971😂😂😂

Last edited:

Originally on the QQ home page there was a good selection of links pertaining to surround sound outside the forum. Such as Immersive Audio, Disclord's web pages, Tab Patterson's web pages, QQ Facebook, Mark Anderson's quad discography and more. Part of that more was a link to the origin & history of QQ, exactly what you are referring to.

These links were just below the "latest Posts" side bar. It now seems to be completely missing!

I have checked this out in Firefox & MS Edge, logging in & not doing so. I would hate for this valuable info to be gone forever. I would hope it's something particular to my set up. Yes, I have enabled "show sidebar" in my preferences.

Has anyone else encountered this?

LOL, you just described this FNG.
I don't understand the dynamics of multi channel music, don't have a clue what most abbreviations here stand for, and at 70 too old to learn.
Got into quad in the 70s with my purchase of a Sansui setup. Bought a old PanHead Harley and lived in bars.
Mini Skirts and Free Love was a great time to be alive. Throw in a jamming home stereo and you pad was the weekend place to be.
Iam just waiting for my refurbished 9001 Sansui to come back to life and transport me back to1971😂😂😂
Wow. 70. There are plenty of us here older than that. I just don't understand "too old to learn". I learn new things every day, a lot here in fact.

No Sir. I had the Harley and before that a few others, '69 Bonneville e.g., and l was racing 2 stroke Suzuki's and worked "off the books" at a Suzuki shop at 16 doing non warranty work, rebuilding engines, changing tires, what ever.
After bikes I got more into hi performance cars. For a while it was both, couldn't afford them both for long though. I built small block chevy's then got into Z28 Camaro's/LS1 engines early. I traded the Z in on a Grand Cherokee for the wife and now drive an old '96 Ranger we bought new.

Originally on the QQ home page there was a good selection of links pertaining to surround sound outside the forum. Such as Immersive Audio, Disclord's web pages, Tab Patterson's web pages, QQ Facebook, Mark Anderson's quad discography and more. Part of that more was a link to the origin & history of QQ, exactly what you are referring to.

These links were just below the "latest Posts" side bar. It now seems to be completely missing!

I have checked this out in Firefox & MS Edge, logging in & not doing so. I would hate for this valuable info to be gone forever. I would hope it's something particular to my set up. Yes, I have enabled "show sidebar" in my preferences.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I notice that too as I was going to reply to a post above with the link to the old 'About QQ' web page but it appears that all of those links are now gone from the home page. I posted about this in the moderator forum to see what Angie might have to say about it. Although since I no longer control the forum, I have not been able to update those pages, but many of them had archival value to the community. It kind of bums me out to be honest

I notice that too as I was going to reply to a post above with the link to the old 'About QQ' web page but it appears that all of those links are now gone from the home page. I posted about this in the moderator forum to see what Angie might have to say about it. Although since I no longer control the forum, I have not been able to update those pages, but many of them had archival value to the community. It kind of bums me out to be honest
I hope you get a positive response from Angie & figure out how to get it back. I totally agree that was info worth archiving. I hope they didn't move it out just to make room for more advertising...

Back