Format Tolerances in the Modern Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which formats can you tolerate music being released on that would end up in your home?

• Total voters

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
Golly, with all these polls I'm making, you'd figure we'd have a poll section by now! Oh wait...🦍

Anyhoo, what formats are you guys okay with for modern surround releases? What are you not? The poll allows you to select multiple formats, so feel free to select all the ones you like. Oh, and if you really hate a format on this list, explain why!

These polls are just for fun...I swear. :)

Last edited:
I would say all except tape because I prefer to record my own from the digital. I don't even have a disc player, just foobar2000, tape, and turntable/decoders. Even if I had a separate disc/media player I would probably prefer to play rips via USB drive to avoid scratching the discs. Actually, I would record it onto 8-track cart but I am an outlier though. If you had to release a disc I would say SACD because it can still play in stereo on 2ch disc players(I think, right?).

Of course I would like everything to be in the high res digital formats (DVD-A, SACD, Bluray, 96/24 downloads.) But beggars can’t be choosers, so I’ll take surround in whatever format I can get it…EXCEPT low resolution streamed Atmos with noise and garbage emanating from the ceiling speakers.

Back