Formatting USB for car audio surround. (Using JRiver Formatting). Questions.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right @Marplot and @LuvMyQuad,

5.1 playing through decoder: Tried a 24/96 file as it comes and the decoder sounded like a little lag, like too big but played in surround, clearly.
Tried 24/48 with 6 compression, again played well but something not quite right.
Tried 24/48 with 0 compression, perfect, the winner. USB FAT32. 32 Gig.

someone else may versed in flac may be able to address this, but I wonder if that lag isn't due to the flac having to be decompressed on the fly as it plays. It sounds like isn't really that it can't play compressed flac, but that you don't want to because of the extra processing required.

While I am here, I have a STEREO question.
Assuming all things are equal, you have a well mastered, not compressed RBCD (16/44.1) from the 1990's and you also have a well mastered SACD DSD64 DSF file.
Now, on my home rig I prefer the SACD as it sounds a little better.
But when converting this SACD DSF DSD64 file down to 24 bit, zero compression, 44.1 sample rate, is the conversion taking all the life out of the SACD and basically no difference than the RBCD?
The point is to play in the car, which is not your true audiophile set up, but can be Very cool anyway.

Sample rate conversions and DSD to PCM transcodes don't even approach the magnitude of mastering faux pas. Downsampling is a trip to the store. Destructive mastering is a trip to Mars. You could do 100 lossy sample rate conversions in a row and still not equal the damage of a volume war aesthetic mastering.

Prove it to yourself the same way you compare different releases of an album. A/B against the original in a DAW.

If you like the CD mastering, no reason not to use it. If on the other hand it sounds like a soldier in the loudness wars, I would use the SACD every time.

Of course I am laughing, but I think I am a modern man. When I was a kid it was records, than hold cassette recorder to speaker and record music for walking portable, then buy cassettes and cases to hold them in car, then CD's with cases to hold them in car, now digital files on thumb drives in cases to hold them in car.

I tried using the re-formatting of larger than 32G drives to FAT32 and basically that was a fail.
I am still in an experimental (mental) mode and as of this writing it is 32G FAT32 drives that are purchased that way for the 5.1 and 4.0 files. I have 4 albums so far on my experiment USB, have not found out max albums yet.

All that said below is my modern man solution to packing and storing for in the car use. Not sure how I will label them yet, with my little label machine, Jazz, Rock, Blues, something like that, some artists have enough surround discs that will fill up a drive like Elton John, The Doors, etc.
I am repeating myself, but this thread really helped, thanks again.

32G Fat32 Drives
USB Holder Case

If you buy those I would remove the swinging covers. They don't really protect them but they do add weight and serve to catch on anything going near them.
For use in Car/DVD/Portable I am really a fan of this sized SanDisk
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB...414118&sprefix=sandisk+32gb+usb,aps,87&sr=8-5
If you catch those on anything it is on purpose.
Yeah, for sure, those are what I have now, 3 of them. I wanted the bigger ones with the colors. Reason is I put the stick in the unit which is in the glove box and no harm will come to it.

won't your Pink Floyd marbles rattle into them?
1646416173494.png

At post #54 I alluded to that the process of converting took about 2 minutes per album, well now that I am full swing ahead, it actually takes as much as 10 minutes.
Converting, and minor re-tagging for the USB Decoder. What is brainless with the JRiver software and so easy is a chore with the cars Chinese 5.1 decoder, they are definitely two different animals.
The biggest bummer with the Chinese decoder is you cannot look at artists, folders, songs, albums, like the head units of both my Challenger and my Escape.
It only plays as one unit, say I have 5 albums on the drive the decoder looks at it as 44 songs, so when going through different albums I have to scroll 1 track at a time, easy when parked, not easy when driving, screen size is 1 1/4" X 3", small.
Just trying to be completely transparent here as a record for myself and for others in the event they take this on.

Another question:
Any tips on catalog and storage? Now that I have the conversion process nailed down, I must say it is an overwhelming task to convert all the surround I have, even cherry picking the best of what I like. The OCD in me wants to find a better way but my situation not sure what to do.
I had a problem with my shorty Samsung drives 32G but now HAVE THESE USB color coded.
The biggest problem is my 5.1 decoder does not have Artists, Albums, Folders, etc, it is just one file and each track is one of whatever is on USB, like 1 of 131 as an example.
My system has to be written and color coded when I go into MY CARRIER.
The only thing I have thought of so far is to group by format, like I have been using one thumb drive for 4.0 SACD only, I have 13 albums on so far and drive is not even half way full. This way in the conversion process, 24 bit, 0 compression, 44.1, 4.0 output for SACD, I don't make a mistake when setting up converter cuz all are the same for that drive.

All my stereo files that go through the OEM head unit, no problem as I can see artists, albums, etc.

how does it sort them? do the #1 tracks all come up as a group, the #2 tracks... etc? or is it alphabetical?
First of all I am so pissed as I did something stupid. My 4.0 SACD conversions, and I did about 9 albums I converted to zero compression, 24 bit, FLAC, 44.1 and here is the problem 4.0, the 5.1 decoder did not like that and all the albums sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks, dammit.
I just reformatted two songs using same formula as above but in 5.1 and the music played perfect in 4.0, dammit again, that is 9 albums I have to do again, it takes time.

Anyway Luv, the decoder does it like this,
On my USB I create folders album name with tracks 1-10 for instance, when the USB goes into the decoder it reads the tracks as 1-131 for instance, it plays them in order of albums and in order of tracks on that particular album, it shows the track title. So it is not horrible, but keep in mind the screen is 1" X 3" definitely not car friendly, when driving, fortunately I know most of the music, but not ideal.
I don't think I can do anything other than just use it the way it wants to be used.

First of all I am so pissed as I did something stupid. My 4.0 SACD conversions, and I did about 9 albums I converted to zero compression, 24 bit, FLAC, 44.1 and here is the problem 4.0, the 5.1 decoder did not like that and all the albums sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks, dammit.
I just reformatted two songs using same formula as above but in 5.1 and the music played perfect in 4.0, dammit again, that is 9 albums I have to do again, it takes time.

Anyway Luv, the decoder does it like this,
On my USB I create folders album name with tracks 1-10 for instance, when the USB goes into the decoder it reads the tracks as 1-131 for instance, it plays them in order of albums and in order of tracks on that particular album, it shows the track title. So it is not horrible, but keep in mind the screen is 1" X 3" definitely not car friendly, when driving, fortunately I know most of the music, but not ideal.
I don't think I can do anything other than just use it the way it wants to be used.
When I read your previous post I was wondering if you would run into problems with 4.0. Most modern AVRs wont play them properly either. But they usually just revert to stereo.

At least its keeping the album order for you. I was afraid it was grouping them based on the track numbers... which would be even more messy. I assume it alphabetizes by album title, yes?

When I read your previous post I was wondering if you would run into problems with 4.0. Most modern AVRs wont play them properly either. But they usually just revert to stereo.

At least its keeping the album order for you. I was afraid it was grouping them based on the track numbers... which would be even more messy. I assume it alphabetizes by album title, yes?
Seems kind of random, but yes always in order of tracks and album and it does list the (track song) number.
One irritating thing with the Chinese decoder is while listening say track 37 of 133, when shut car off and get back to turn car on it starts at track 1 of 133, little quirk. But hey it's a 2021 Challenger, who but me has a 5.1 in a Challenger, that is cool in itself.

My 4.0 SACD conversions, and I did about 9 albums I converted to zero compression, 24 bit, FLAC, 44.1 and here is the problem 4.0, the 5.1 decoder did not like that and all the albums sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks, dammit.

That sounds like a sample rate error if the pitch was way off, not a missing channels issue if those things got conflated. As for the 'missing' channels in a 4.0 FLAC and modern AVR, my SONY X800 BD player plays the two front channels of the four channel file (not stereo). Then I used the MMH to add silent channel and suddenly ...... STAIN'S GONE! Life got better right away.

My project was probably 1/20 of what you're doing but we likely share many headbanging moments of do-overs in the quest to get it right(eous).

That sounds like a sample rate error if the pitch was way off, not a missing channels issue if those things got conflated. As for the 'missing' channels in a 4.0 FLAC and modern AVR, my SONY X800 BD player plays the two front channels of the four channel file (not stereo). Then I used the MMH to add silent channel and suddenly ...... STAIN'S GONE! Life got better right away.

My project was probably 1/20 of what you're doing but we likely share many headbanging moments of do-overs in the quest to get it right(eous).
Yeah, I am in reformatting hell right now. My first goal is to put on as many Dutton Vocalion 4.0's as I can on one drive. I am really surprised as I have 12 albums so far on one 32G drive.
My overall music collection is huge and there is no way I intend to add stereo or surrounds to match what I have in my NAS, some of the music I own is a one time listen, no thanks.
I am trying to have music that is good for car, up music, not sleepy music.
I have listened to enough re-formatted surround music in the car now to come to the conclusion , that man, it sure sounds great.
There are some tracks that I have listened to in the car, and I am hearing little nuances that I never heard before, not on all but on some. I assume it is the nearfield listening experience.
The good news is I have finally figured out what my 5.1 decoder likes and doesn't like, that is a big step.

Back