Frankie Goes to Hollywood Reunites & 5/7/23 Pleasuredome performance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a tribute to Trevor Horn on the TV. All kinds of bands played, including FGTH. I remember seeing hearing them play RELAX, and thought it was so cool and bought the CD. Yes, closed the show.
Was that over 36 years ago, no way?
Happy to tell you that your life is not slipping away quite as quickly as you thought! The Trevor Horn concert was celebrating 25 years since his first step into the music industry with the release of Video killed The Radio Star and many of the bands he produced over that period took part. It was in 2004. I was there and it was a fantastic evening. It was attended by the, now, King Charles, as it was a fund raising event for his Prince's Trust that he created to provide opportunities for young people.

This was the second Prince's Trust concert I have been to, the first was at a London theatre with Dire Straits supported by Duran Duran with Aswad and Mari Wilson performing during the stage set up change at 'half time'. As I write it has come back to me that when Duran Duran started the show they were behind the stage curtain. As they announced and they started to play the curtain went up and immediately stopped so they played the whole song with just their feet and ankles expressing the emotion of the music!

Anyway, I digress, Frankie Goes To Hollywood closed the Produced By Trevor Horn show. They were reassembled for the gig but without Holly Johnson whose friendship with Trevor may have been at a low point at the time. They held auditions and recruited an actor/singer from a West End theatre production to fill in for Holly and he did a very good job. Also, Steve Howe was in the band recreating, I am led to believe, his contribution to the original recording. Great to hear that Holly is back with the band for this reunion. I have seen him in his solo career and he is a great singer and very likeable entertainer. I can thoroughly recommend the DVD by the way - it was released in at least two forms but each has the entire concert.

I had the two disc LP of Welcome To The Pleasuredome and all the 12” mixes. Though, I never did purchase their next album. By doing that, I think I hurt sales and broke up the band. :LOL:
I have most or all of the 12" singles. I bought Welcome To The Pleasuredome on cassette, one of the first run copies with a Prince Charles imitator talking about whether one has had orgasm or not.

Anyway, I digress, Frankie Goes To Hollywood closed the Produced By Trevor Horn show. They were reassembled for the gig but without Holly Johnson whose friendship with Trevor may have been at a low point at the time. They held auditions and recruited an actor/singer from a West End theatre production to fill in for Holly and he did a very good job. Also, Steve Howe was in the band recreating, I am led to believe, his contribution to the original recording. Great to hear that Holly is back with the band for this reunion. I have seen him in his solo career and he is a great singer and very likeable entertainer. I can thoroughly recommend the DVD by the way - it was released in at least two forms but each has the entire concert.
Steve Howe did play on the original along with a large group of people Trevor Horn knew who could be considered the who's who of Prog Rock. I first heard it in a recording studio in London (we played the CD back through the SSL desk and monitors at ear popping volume, along with Zappa's Joe's Garage!)I was helping out at (i.e. I needed some money as my research grant had run out, and I wanted food & beer!) for a few weeks in the mid 80s, the production is amazing, the owner of the studio told me who played on it, I can only remember Steve Howe though. I don't own it, and I missed the SACD when it was released.

Back