Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece (Steven Wilson Remix)" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1 and stereo (2/16/2024-Alucard)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, for me, it's really the 3rd,4th and 5th songs that are the worst. Get past those and you should find more gold.
Aw, I really like "Who You Think You Are?" and "Mountain Time". Agree that some of the best material is on side 2 though, like "Memories Of Old Days" and especially "Winning".

"Betcha Thought" is the only real miss on the album, IMO.

This is a group I learned to appreciate thru the Steven Wilson remixes. I can recall seeing their album covers way back when but never listened to them. It took me a while to get used to their vocal style but now I like it and have picked up all of these reissues.
+1

Aw, I really like "Who You Think You Are?" and "Mountain Time". Agree that some of the best material is on side 2 though, like "Memories Of Old Days" and especially "Winning".

I do agree with you that Mountain Time is good. I will definitely be picking this up. A CD+Blu-ray set priced at 20 bucks, why the hell not!

I posted this back on 12-29-22. Maybe this will give you hope...
Just read the digest of this video on Michael's Record Collection website dated 5-26-22. I came across this in the article, "Sony owned the rights to Civilian and the band had to get permission to do the reissue. While it hasn’t gotten Wilson’s 5.1 and Dolby Atmos treatment yet, Derek Shulman indicated that it could happen in the future."
Thanks. While not my favorite album by far, Inside out is a solid track. A departure from the classic GG, but a track that Derek said was a good example of the direction the band was pushing towards. Civilian is an album that I loathed back in the day, but which I learned to appreciate over the years. In any case, an improvement over Giant for a Day.
The Missing Piece was the first album from GG I listened to, around the time it was released, and later the first I owned.
With it, all the known existing multitracks will have been released in surround.
I would buy anything else they manage to find and release, but if the multitracks are available, would Sony tend to have Civilian released rather as SACD?

To my knowledge, Peter Jackson's "MAL" de-mixing technology has only been used on three album remix projects thus far: The Beatles' Revolver, the Red & Blue Albums, and The Band's Music From Big Pink. For those projects, it's worth noting that the software was being applied to individual channels of a three or four-track multitrack. Assuming Alucard and/or Steven Wilson even have access to this technology, it may not work as well with a finalized two-track stereo master.

That said, I wonder if they'd be open to doing a dedicated CD/Blu-Ray set of Three Friends? Only two tracks ("Prologue" and "Working All Day") would need to be upmixed to complete the album sequence. I'd be all in if Steven did new Atmos mixes of the four songs that were previously remixed in stereo & 5.1 for Three Piece Suite. "Peel The Paint" would be wild in Atmos.
Some of the Beatles de-mixing was used on mono and stereo recordings as well. But the MAL process seems exclusive to Peter Jackson and likely very expensive.

I just take "Betcha Thought" as what it is, a tongue-in-cheek tune and don't overthink it. I just could have been relegated to the last track on side B. I see "The Missing Piece" not as a top, but as an above average album by any standards.

"The Missing Piece Deluxe Edition" has been delayed until March according to Gentle Giant's Facebook Page:

We regret to inform you that the highly anticipated release of the Steven Wilson remix of "The Missing Piece" has been postponed until March 29th due to unforeseen manufacturing delays beyond our control.
Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated. We didn't want to leave you hanging so we are excited to announce that this Friday, February 16th, we'll be unveiling another track for "Memories of Old Days."
The premiere of the video will be February 16th at 10am EST.
Save the link and join the conversation here: https://youtu.be/7hkCO63MUxY
Thank you for your continued support and stay tuned for more updates.
-The Boys in the Band

"The Missing Piece Deluxe Edition" has been delayed until March according to Gentle Giant's Facebook Page:

We regret to inform you that the highly anticipated release of the Steven Wilson remix of "The Missing Piece" has been postponed until March 29th due to unforeseen manufacturing delays beyond our control.
Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated. We didn't want to leave you hanging so we are excited to announce that this Friday, February 16th, we'll be unveiling another track for "Memories of Old Days."
The premiere of the video will be February 16th at 10am EST.
Save the link and join the conversation here: https://youtu.be/7hkCO63MUxY
Thank you for your continued support and stay tuned for more updates.
-The Boys in the Band
Yes, I just got notice from Amazon that my order was delayed. Whatever. I did have to update my order to say "go ahead and get it to me when you can."

Yeah, got this notice today as well. Somehow no one noticed it was going to be late until the day it's scheduled to arrive? As of yesterday Amazon predicted shipment 'by 11pm' today. Guess I'll have to be a big boy about it, but I'm feeling like I just looked in my Xmas stocking and it's full of coal. Time to go crank up the Atmos mix of 'Free Hand' until I feel better.

Weird how I dont have those messages. Amazon shows Im getting mine by 10 PM tonight but this must be wrong.

OOps! Just received the approval required for delay email. Says there are supply issues but they will still try to deliver it by the scheduled time.
They will email me when available bless their little hearts.

• Haha
Reactions: GOS
Just got the delay message from Amazon. Interesting in that it just said "supply chain issues" causing the delay with no new anticipated delivery date. Since this seems to be a general issue, no point in looking around for a different seller. Will just have to wait. :(

They offered me to cancel or wait, after listening to the mix in that youtube i said patiently.

Back