Gong, SHAMAL, quadraphonic lp , SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's been established that this is not quad--and that the understandable confusion comes from a label printing error. Wish I could point you to all the sources I consulted (beyond my own ears, that is: I've heard a "decode" that's not quaddy at all) that led me to this conclusion. All I can dig up right now is this passing comment from @steelydave:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-to-your-pile-sq-qs-rm-ev.14936/post-570896
Thank you for your reply. Yes I just found it on the SD site under Not Quadraphonic.

I think it's been established that this is not quad--and that the understandable confusion comes from a label printing error. Wish I could point you to all the sources I consulted (beyond my own ears, that is: I've heard a "decode" that's not quaddy at all) that led me to this conclusion. All I can dig up right now is this passing comment from @steelydave:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-to-your-pile-sq-qs-rm-ev.14936/post-570896
Well regardless of it not being a legit Quad or not; running it through some decoders/up-mixers gives some nice results IMO. I did a Penteo 4.1 of this CD version that I was very happy with.

SHAMAL-P4.1.jpg

There are 3 CBS/COLUMBIA/Epic with this strange anomaly...that are indicated on the vinyl copies as either SQ or quadraphonic (or both).

1) Gong -Shamal
2) Kansas -Song For America
3) Blue Oyster Cult -Agents Of Fortune *

All released during the Quad release years by CBS...Columbia Records USA.

They may have been planned for release , but one would think we might have that information by now , via Audio Fidelity or Dutton Vocalion as they both did quad album searches of The CBS Vault (unless they are unmarked on the master tapes). Gong Shamal should or would have been released on the big box set with the quad mixes of "You" , if it existed.

*This release however is the very recent mystery in quad as we now have 2 individuals on QQ who state they have or had it ..and supposedly the real deal.(take note as the jacket does not indicate quad , so it would be a stealth SQ)

The one thing I can say , after all these years of collecting matrix encoded albums is I can never say never....when it comes to matrix encoded stealth albums .

Back