HiRez Poll Grateful Dead - AMERICAN BEAUTY [DVD-A/DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Grateful Dead - AMERICAN BEAUTY

• Total voters
Is 'Workingman's Dead' in 5.1 just as good?
I'd say that the sound quality is as good, I like the song selection a bit better on American Beauty though. Because Workingman's Dead doesn't seem to be available as a Dual Disc, it's becoming hard to find. Get it now.

A very solid 9.

As stated by many others, Ripple is now a masterpiece.

This sounds so smooth and warm that I play it like I did 35 years ago. :smokin

I just picked this up yesterday at BestBuy, in the DualDisc format. Never been a huge Dead fan, but have enjoyed this album. Very pleased with both the music, the sound and very glad I picked this up. Again though I have to rant about the details on the liner notes, whether absent or incorrect. In this case the cover states a 192/24 Stereo track. When played on my player it shows 96/24 on both the surround and stereo tracks. What's up with that?

What's up is that you're too concerned with numbers....:D ;)

ED :)
This thread is labeled with "Here is where you can vote or research HiRez music titles available on SACD and DVD-Audio discs". Anyone thinking about buying this title based on the "numbers" shown on the case, be advised, they are misleading.
I've researched removing my profile from this forum and haven't found that option. Jon, or whomever has that ability, feel free to remove my access, I'm done.

This thread is labeled with "Here is where you can vote or research HiRez music titles available on SACD and DVD-Audio discs". Anyone thinking about buying this title based on the "numbers" shown on the case, be advised, they are misleading.
I've researched removing my profile from this forum and haven't found that option. Jon, or whomever has that ability, feel free to remove my access, I'm done.

Moving to Montana soon, going to be a mental toss flycoon...

It was a joke and a pretty funny one in my opinion, note the smiley. I have this disc and hadn't noticed the error on the case but I have noticed some similar errors on others in the past. I think a Bon Jovi DualDisc has 48kHz/24Bit designation on the case and it is in fact 96kHz/24Bit. It is fine to mention there errors, but humor is fine as well.

Chris

I just picked this up yesterday at BestBuy, in the DualDisc format. Never been a huge Dead fan, but have enjoyed this album. Very pleased with both the music, the sound and very glad I picked this up. Again though I have to rant about the details on the liner notes, whether absent or incorrect. In this case the cover states a 192/24 Stereo track. When played on my player it shows 96/24 on both the surround and stereo tracks. What's up with that?

24bit 96khz surround is as high as it goes for any dvd-audio disk. As for the stereo version maybe they dropped it down from 192khz to 96khz to fit it on the dualdisc format. I'm surprised you found a dualdisc in Best Buy since the store here removed all them... either that or there was a big run on them all of a sudden.

update: Checked the standard dvd-audio disk of American Beauty and it's 96khz for the stereo version. The cover or back does not specify any sound specs on the standard dvd-audio version.

Still not quite sure if this is a separate stereo version on the Dead DVD-As, or if the stereo mix s a folddown. Looking at the players I have, Denon 2910 and Creative DVD-A player, I can only see one group on the DVD-A, and the Creative player can only play multichannel. On the other side, the liner notes are very specific about a new stereo mix. Can someone please clarity this situation?

They have separate stereo versions on a group by themselves. Hardly any of the Warners Rhino dvd-audio disks require fold downs (Brain Salad Surgery is one of the few).

Checking my version, once more, I find only one DVD-Audio group on my copy. Checking front and back covers on my copy with the ones published at www.amazon.com, I see some differences in the specification of the ways the disc will play. On top of the back cover, I only see 1 line on my copy "This disc plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Stereo - Adv. 6-channel Surround Sound - DVD-Video Compatible Dolby Digital. Maybee Warner updated this release?

Checking my version, once more, I find only one DVD-Audio group on my copy. Checking front and back covers on my copy with the ones published at www.amazon.com, I see some differences in the specification of the ways the disc will play. On top of the back cover, I only see 1 line on my copy "This disc plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Stereo - Adv. 6-channel Surround Sound - DVD-Video Compatible Dolby Digital. Maybee Warner updated this release?
The Dualdisc's DVD-A side is identical to the separate DVD-A. I have both, and both have a newly-remixed stereo track. The CD side on the DVD-A gives you the original stereo mix also, making it the preferred version (2 different stereo mixes plus the 5.1 mix).

I checked the groups on the standard dvd-audio disk using a Technics player that is only connected to an 12" TV and a set of headphones.

Groups:
  • 1 Stereo & Surround Music (2 separate mixes)
  • 2 Surround playlist
  • 3 Stereo playlist
  • 4 Documentary on the surround mixing

I couldn't get the surround mix to play. I'll have to take a look at the owner manual to figure out that problem. If there's a "setup" feature on this player they sure make it hard to find.

update: Never could get surround to play on either this or the other Grateful Dead dvd-audio disk.

I tried America Homecoming and it plays in surround with no problem.

OK, I also can choose multichannel and stereo music from the menu, but both music options are played from Group 1, and as far as I understand the DVD-A format, the stereo music is a folddown of the multichannels. DVD-As with a dedicated stereo mix will have a dedicated group for stereo (normally group 2).

OK, I also can choose multichannel and stereo music from the menu, but both music options are played from Group 1, and as far as I understand the DVD-A format, the stereo music is a folddown of the multichannels. DVD-As with a dedicated stereo mix will have a dedicated group for stereo (normally group 2).
This is not true. Different labels handled the groups differently, with some putting the different audio tracks in the same group, rendering the stereo tracks as unplayable in my Acura, as you can only pick different audio tracks if they are in different groups.

I was never a Deadhead and to me this folky album is relatively new.
It seems to be one of their "best" records (half of it is also found on "Best of the Dead").
The sound and the surround mix are very good. It is interesting that the mix was done by the drummer, who in that time sat in the middle of the band, between the singers and the (guitar/bass) amplifiers. a 10 for those and a 9 as total score.

Just found this at Best Buy and am picking it up. I previously had the DVD-A, but it disappeared.

I found this album really enjoyable, but I also found it somewhat incomprehensible that it gets so many 5 ratings.The studio music is probably the best introduction to the band, and American Beauty is by far the best studio album.

Finally, a dual disc that I think is decent in quality - I haven't been impressed with the bunch that I've acquired. I give this an overall 9 out of 10.

Generally considered the Dead’s finest studio album, this Beauty is a further refinement of the roots direction they undertook with Workingman’s Dead. Includes “Truckin’,” “Friend Of The Devil,” “Ripple,” and six bonus tracks.

In 1965, a Palo Alto, California cover band called The Warlocks -- Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Phil Lesh, and Bill Kreutzmann -- became known as the Grateful Dead. They soon situated in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco and built a spirited following through a series of free concerts, becoming one of the top draws around town. In 1967 the Dead added a second drummer, Mickey Hart, and began committing their free-form musical vision to tape.

accutane

Back