Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Thanksgiving smoke towards ya'll.
Anyone smoking a turkey?
turkeygator.jpg

Anyway we'll just be cooking the gobbler in the oven again this year. I have done them on charcoal, with some Red Oak for smoke, though it's been several years since my self made grill (circa 1987) finally succumbed to rust. Also with just the oak wood alone. The grill I made could be raised/lowered for either by insertion/removal of pipe legs at the corners.

When I was welding I built many smokers and grills of all types at the shop I worked at. It was always a verbal battle with people that don't understand what a "smoker" is vs cooking quickly WITH smoke. "I want a true smoker!" Yep, OK then. Next week they were back complaining that their meat did not cook in 4 hours. LOL! Such is life.

When I was welding I built many smokers and grills of all types at the shop I worked at. It was always a verbal battle with people that don't understand what a "smoker" is vs cooking quickly WITH smoke. "I want a true smoker!" Yep, OK then. Next week they were back complaining that their meat did not cook in 4 hours. LOL! Such is life.
Tell them it'll smoke buffalo wings in <4 hours (truth) :LOL:

I'm going to hi-jack this thread a little. I'm in charge of bringing ham for Christmas at moms tomorrow. I'm not buying bone-in, as I don't want to fight with carving it. I do gather though, there is such thing as spiral ham bone-in, though I'm not sure how it could be pre-carved when there is a bone in it.

Regardless, I want to buy one without bone, and carved. Again...lazy. This will be in the oven. Yes, I can look at a zillion youtube videos......yet can be like looking for a needle in a haystack to just find a very simple one.

I want it to be moist, not dry. I don't necessarily care about glazing it, but would humor it I guess. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on how to do this with little fuss? My family will not be picky, but I certainly don't want it dry, that is a requirement.

I'm going to hi-jack this thread a little. I'm in charge of bringing ham for Christmas at moms tomorrow. I'm not buying bone-in, as I don't want to fight with carving it. I do gather though, there is such thing as spiral ham bone-in, though I'm not sure how it could be pre-carved when there is a bone in it.

Regardless, I want to buy one without bone, and carved. Again...lazy. This will be in the oven. Yes, I can look at a zillion youtube videos......yet can be like looking for a needle in a haystack to just find a very simple one.

I want it to be moist, not dry. I don't necessarily care about glazing it, but would humor it I guess. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on how to do this with little fuss? My family will not be picky, but I certainly don't want it dry, that is a requirement.
You guys are killing me. Forcing me to think for myself. OK, fine. I ended up buying a bone in, spiral cut 12 pound ham. Still not sure how I'll cook it. (heat it up)
Obvously, I'll do it tomorrow ahead of our event.

I'm going to toss this out as well. So, my great grandparents on my mom's side are German. Their parents are full German, and didn't speak much English. Anyway, on this side of the family, we always had a dish that none of us remaining kids can find any history about.

Maybrittle (spelling may have been misunderstood, and not correct)

4 eggs, 1 pound raisins, 2 cup milk, 1.5 cup flour, 3 tablespoon melted shortning, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder.
More or less, this is the recipe and you steam it in a cloth for 2 hours. You slice thinly, and pour melted butter over slices and sprinkle with white sugar.

We all know how to make it, and our family enjoys it....but we have no history on it, nor can we find anything on the net close to it. This is NOT bread. It's dense, wet and bland, until you do the butter and sugar.

Any of my German friends know anything about this? Have we butchered the name, and it could be something else???

Christmas Jerky

*A 5 rack full ready on the dehydrator; I make this every year-
Marinate for 10-14 hours in the following:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds of Flank Steak (partially frozen, and sliced very thin cross grain. Also best to trim out any excess fat or silver skin)

- 1/2 bottle of Kikkoman's Garlic and Green Onion Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Real Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
- 2 teaspoons of Vietnamese Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 teaspoons of ground Black Pepper (course grind)
- 2 teaspoons of Red Pepper flakes (hot)
- 2 teaspoons of Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Pink Curing Salt

Dehydrate on "High" for about 14 hours.

CHRISTMAS JERKY.jpg

Christmas Jerky

*A 5 rack full ready on the dehydrator; I make this every year-
Marinate for 10-14 hours in the following:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds of Flank Steak (partially frozen, and sliced very thin cross grain. Also best to trim out any excess fat or silver skin)

- 1/2 bottle of Kikkoman's Garlic and Green Onion Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Real Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
- 2 teaspoons of Vietnamese Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 teaspoons of ground Black Pepper (course grind)
- 2 teaspoons of Red Pepper flakes (hot)
- 2 teaspoons of Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Pink Curing Salt

Dehydrate on "High" for about 14 hours.

View attachment 99542
That sounds so good you could sell it. Maybe in the QQ buy sell trade thread!

Back