Harmon Kardon 8+ and thoughts on other decks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qued

I'm just starting out with Quad, but I was just able to procure the second main piece of gear for my new system - a Harmon Kardon 8+ for $85US. From what little I've been able to read about it, it looks like it's going to be a decent deck, but I was wondering what others here thought. Anybody else here using one of these? I'm guessing that spending some money for a better quality Q8 player will pay off in the long run, but I haven't been able to find a list of the better decks. What other higher end Q8 players should I keep an eye out for, and is there a "holy grail" of Q8 players like the Sansui QRX-9001 is of receivers?

While I don't have experience with very many decks, the Harmon Kardon 8+ is the best deck I've ever used. From what I've read around here from others that also have one, it is certainly one of the best, if not the best Q8 deck out there.

I prefer the Akai CR 80D-SS which I believe is the absolute best in 8 track playback and record.
Just my opinion.

MTGC (Michael)

I have a few, including one that was recently refurbished by Quad Bob!! I like it a lot, and got rid of my Technics and Akai because I preferred the HK. Not that those were not great machines, they were just too big and I don't need to record Q8's.

I say you got "a great deal"! :D

I like my Akai much better than the Technics.

The Technics is definitely the looker of the bunch, even having noise reduction but if a tape got even the slightest bit tight, the Technics would drag. Even with a new belt and a good lube, the motor in it just couldn't cut the mustard.

The Akai is a nice deck, I just wish the VU's lit up. The drive motor looks like it came from a washing machine and when you hit F.F. , the whole unit torques over. Very impressed with the Akai, and the Erase head is a welcome bonus. Great for making Q8's.

I have a Miida deck which is unusually quiet. I mean signal to noise on it is great! Very little hiss or hum and yet has terrific sonics. Impressed by the cheapie!

Having said all that, I have no experience with the HK8+. :phones

HK 8+ was the best produced Q8 player IMHO and got many hours of pleasant use from one.

That HK has the same guts as a Sony i have. Only difference is the box it rests in. These units seem to work as well as anything made.

Ok, I'll star this "crazy" thing:

my deck is a Sony TC-258 (there's one on eBay right now if any one interested....)

this is my 2 seconds of silence
silence.JPG

it's hissy but I think I've heard worst from my cassette deck :)

and this is a frequncy spectral view.
The tape is Carly Simon - No Secrets, The Right Thing To do.
spectral.JPG

As you can see it has a 15KHz cut-off maybe because it was ready for a cd-4 master I suppose. All the rest above 15KHz is noise.

@Tad
Is that your Sony deck you were talking about?

Back