Has anybody been playing with the multitracks that are floating around the Internet?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
There seems to be a good two-dozen multitrack downloads floating around now! Four cuts are from Sgt. Pepper (4 track), one from the Doobies (16 track), four from Queen (24 track! :eek: ) and even several from Marvin Gaye in either 8 or 16 track.

These are super fun to play with! The 8 track multi's are by far the easiest to turn into a 4-channel mix. My mix of "I heard it thru the grapevine" not only stays true to the layout of the original stereo mix, but adds so much more depth to the recording. I think the hardest part was adding the right amount of echo to the vocals and the lead guitar to make it sound just right!

When I mixed the Doobies' "Long Train Running" I hadn't heard the quad mix. So, I mixed up my version then dug thru my quad tapes to see if LTR ever made it in quad - and it did! on The Captain and Me album.

Funny thing was, without ever hearing the Quad mix before, My version was almost BANG ON to the Quad, except I spread the 4 tracks of drums over the entire front sound stage, not just front left. Mine sounds better! :D

The Queen Multi's - I've only downloaded "Killer Queen" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" - are amazing!
"KQ" is a well set up 24 track multi. Very little editing necessary to make it playable.

Bohemian Rhapsody - oh deary me. Whoever supplied us with the tape must've found a pre-bounce work tape. This thing is cool to listen to in parts, but as a whole is NOT a workable multi.
There's three lead vocal tracks, each different takes. One is a master mix-down of the best parts of those takes. There are sounds punched in ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Vocals on a drum track, sound effects on a vocal track, level tests and mis-cues - oh my! It took me about two weeks to sort through it all to make a workable 15-track multi. Me being the anal bastard I am paired up guitars and vocals and many of my working tracks are stereo tracks, not monos. It was just easier. Working with 24-tracks is not easy! I commend the original man at the board for mixing this song! There must have been many hands working that board to mute all the unnecessary bits!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I've got the downloads cued up now, although the only Queen track I was able to find was Bohemian Rhapsody. I already finished the Beatles Sgt. Pepper tracks, those were fun to play with, though not a lot to work with for a surround mix, but still fun to play with.

Yea the Sgt. Pepper tracks are interesting to play with have not download any other though

Are we going to treat these multitracks the same as "backups" of decoded LP'S
If not could we make a list of them, I fancy doing a mix of get down make love into SQ !
Having a quick search on the web shows up a load of torrents which I like to avoid.
If we cant publicly list them could some one PM me a good down load site for which I will be very gretefull

I think it would be fun to pick one of these multitracks for everyone to play with. A contest of sorts to see who can make the best mix from them. I bet there could be a lot of different/creative mixes which would result.

Hey Bohemian Rhapsody is fun and sounds great, but little surprises all over. At one point I think there are about 20 tracks of vocals.
I just threw this up in acid and all 24 run fine. I'm not creating any mix as I don't have the weeks it would need, but great fun. Now if I can just put Bob Marley and Mavin in this mix

.. I fancy doing a mix of get down make love into SQ !
I did a 5.1 mix of Queen's Get Down, Make Love a few weeks ago. Not a great song though :eek:, but the production (judging from these tracks) is much cleaner and easier to work with than the Roy Thomas Baker stuff. I like my "result" and from this one there isn't an official surround version AFAIK. From the other (3) Queen tracks there is and they are hard to improve upon.
When I played my mix to someone else, I was given some extra ideas, so I might rework some details some time.

I was not as much aware of the multis from the other artists.

Could we list what multi-tracks are out there by Artist / Song and how many tracks are supposed to be with each song? Thanks.

What I have:

Beatles - A Day In The Life (4 tracks)
Beatles - Sgt Pepper (4 tracks)
Beatles - With A Little help (4 tracks)
Beatles - She's Leaving Home (4 tracks)
Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin' (16 tracks)
Marvin Gaye - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing (8 tracks)
Marvin Gaye - Grapevine (8 tracks separate plus L/R)
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (16 tracks)
Marvin Gaye - Ain't No Mountain High (8 tracks)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (16 tracks)
Stevie Wonder - Superstition (16 tracks)
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry (23 tracks)
Bob Marley - Is This Love (23 tracks)
Def Leppard - Rock Of Ages (22 tracks)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (22 tracks)
Nirvana - Polly (24 tracks)
Eagles - Take It Easy (9 tracks) (This is an outtake and not the original version)

from another site here is another list of what people have found
I don't have the other Queen of Peter Gabriel or NIN stuff but sounds fun

:
MultiTrack Masters Bob Marley
Is This Love
Lively Up Yourself
No Woman No Cry

:Marvin Gaye - Mountain High Enough

:NiN-Capital G

:Nirvana Multitracks

:peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey

The Beatles - Sgt Pep trackz

:Queen
Get Down make love
Brighton Rock
Bohm Rhap
Killer Queen

:Stevie Wonder - Superstition

An interesting note is that "Lively Up Yourself" and "No Woman No Cry" were from the Natty Dread album which was once slated for Quad release. My Quad mixes sound neat. I dislike the echo the stereo versions are bathed in. I added the usual reverb to Mr. Marley's vocals, but everything else is fairly flat with some studio presence.

Lively up yourself comes with two fairly complete vocal takes. I mixed&matched and made my own alternate vocal take. It came out pretty good ;)

"I did a 5.1 mix of Queen's Get Down, Make Love a few weeks ago."

Hey, do you know where can I find the multitracks for Get Down Make Love? I found one with really bad quality.

Back