Has anyone here successfully connected an Oppo 203 to a network SMB mount?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, found it. I installed picoreplayer on a RPI 3B+.

At the top of smb.conf (/usr/local/etc/samba/smb.conf) you need an additional 2 lines after workgroup:

workgroup = WORKGROUP
lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes
client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1

I found on a Raspbian install you also need those two additional lines.
Hooray! Yes thanks that worked out well. I had to log in twice - once as guest to the network and then once as the piCore user with the password to the shares.

The Oppo played the surround
FLACS through the network, but would not play .mkv and did not recognize .mka files/

Hooray! Yes thanks that worked out well. I had to log in twice - once as guest to the network and then once as the piCore user with the password to the shares.

The Oppo played the surround
FLACS through the network, but would not play .mkv and did not recognize .mka files/
.mkv and I think .mka will only play if you go via “Video” and not “Music”. FLACs only work via “Music”.

I just verified that .mkv files do indeed work for me via SMB using “Video”. I don’t have any .mka files handy at the moment. ISOs also need to be played via “Video” (even SACD ISOs, and only if you have an Oppo with jailbreak firmware).

Last edited:
.mkv and I think .mka will only play if you go via “Video” and not “Music”. FLACs only work via “Music”.

I just verified that .mkv files do indeed work for me via SMB using “Video”. I don’t have any .mka files handy at the moment. ISOs also need to be played via “Video” (even SACD ISOs, and only if you have an Oppo with jailbreak firmware).
Yes, .mkv needs 'Video' but .mka uses 'Music' on my Oppo.

Yes, .mkv needs 'Video' but .mka uses 'Music' on my Oppo.
That probably explains why months ago I shifted to packaging even audio-only files as either .mkv or .mp4 (the latter with a low frame rate black video screen).

I guess I just forgot that .mka were problematic on my Oppo via NFS. Pretty easy to change container formats with MMH and other tools. I don’t recall if .m4a works on an Oppo network mount.

Last edited:
My 105 has a network menu selection that will allow me to play audio, video, and photo files from my drobo NAS. The audio, video, and photo icons in the same menu only seem to connect to the disc itself or to USB memories connected directly to the Oppo.

My 105 has a network menu selection that will allow me to play audio, video, and photo files from my drobo NAS. The audio, video, and photo icons in the same menu only seem to connect to the disc itself or to USB memories connected directly to the Oppo.
On a jailbroken 20x, not sure about a similar 10x, in an autoscript you can NFS- or SMB-mount external network drives and they’ll be visible under the top level GUI (i.e., under Music, Video, or Photo, so you don’t have to go through the Network menu item). The catch is that the mount points have to be on a USB-attached device, rather than on a loopback device.

I’ve never found that feature all that useful, but some folks might like it to avoid repeatedly going through the Network icon and selecting a given SMB or NFS server. If you are willing to leave your Oppo or clone powered up, you can also ssh or telnet into the Oppo and manually setup the mount(s), not bothering with an autoscript on a USB thumb drive.

Back