HiRez Poll Hathaway, Donny - EXTENSION OF A MAN [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Donny Hathaway - EXTENSION OF A MAN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-ray Audio release from Rhino Records of the classic Donny Hathaway album "Extension of a Man".
This new Blu-ray Audio release is part of Rhino's ongoing Quadio series and features the first release of this classic Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s! o_O

(y):)(n)

DonnyHathway_Extension_Quadio.png

I listen to this album twice, once the day it arrived and the second time yesterday (Sunday) morning. It's a great Sunday morning listen. Very relaxing and he has an incredible voice. The sound quality is spectacular, which is what you would expect from one of the Quadios. And I know no longer need to fiddle with CD4 crap to listen. Thank God! Although not every song blew me away, Donny Hathaway really was a phenomenal singer, songwriter and this album is really well produced. Produced. Quad effects too! I'll give it a 10. PXL_20240519_120048589.jpg

I'm leaning on a 9 rating. I like the production, and the quad mix very much. There is not the big catchy hit or deep underground track here that might anchor it, drive it to a 10. So it's a sprawling r&b set which at the end leaves me perfectly satisfied, but not on the ecstatic level of Court and Spark, Machine Head, Mingus, War, or Paranoid. And it might not be fair to judge it against AWB, as they are aiming for a different thing, this is soulful, where AWB are much more funk. And it's really too good, rare, and special for an 8.

Last edited:
On Someday Will All Be Free the Trumpet solo is missing,
could be the single mix .
On a LP Collection they added a Sax Solo by David Sanborn instead of Marvin Stamms Trumpret's solo

You hear the Drums far better

Stanley Clarke is on Bass on track 1

Great Quad Sound Mix

Last edited:
I’ve had one listen to this album so far, and I certainly understand the title. The width of his talent was far beyond what I expected. My prior familiarity with him was his duet with Roberta Flack on “Where Is the Love?” so this was very mind-expanding. I haven’t voted yet, but I was favorably impressed with the surround, too.

Back