Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon UK is "dispatching soon". So they must have the item (3 disc version) in stock too.

I just noticed that Amazon UK have upped their pre order price from £15.87 the other day to £21 today!! :yikes :howl

Here's hoping my local HMV has it tomorrow otherwise the best value option in the UK is currently Play.com at £16.44 or Burning Shed/Cherry Red for £18.99.

Also, I saw the release date somewhere as 24th May (which is unusual)? Now most places are stating the more conventional 27th? So maybe HMV won't have it tomorrow after all :(

There was a knock on the door at 10am this morning, postman missed the doorbell! and I was presented with a package, and yippee its Hawkwind's "Warrior On The Edge Of Time". I've only listened to the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, loud (better apologise to the neighbours!), and its fantastic. It really makes use of the surround format and shows up all sorts of hidden depths to the album which I'd never noticed before. So one happy Hawkwind fan - and I saw them at HawkEaster do the album. There are two tracks which are in enhanced 5.1 as the multi-tracks weren't available (Spiral Galaxy 28948 & Kings Of Speed) and they're well positioned, so to be honest if it hadn't been in the booklet I wouldn't have noticed. Neil Wilkes authored it (thanks) so just hitting play on the Denon meant it fires up the 5.1 DVD-Audio (24-bit/96kHz I assume) without turning on the TV. Sound quality is good, as is the music. So thanks to Esoteric/Atomhenge for going the extra mile and producing a nice package with 5.1, see the Box Set below, with Vinyl LP, 2 CDs, DVD-Audio, Booklet, Ticket (!), Postcards, and a Poster.

IMG_1207.jpgIMG_1209.jpg

I'm not really into Hawkwind ( or know too much about them ) but it's exciting to receive new music !
Really like the look of your set up....and those lovely shelves, full of musical goodies !! :D

I'm not really into Hawkwind ( or know too much about them ) but it's exciting to receive new music !
Really like the look of your set up....and those lovely shelves, full of musical goodies !! :D

All in all 2.5 alcoves worth of music, sadly not all 5.1. I bought the music then improved the set-up, now I want a new turntable to replace the broken one!

Alright. Back to business. To those who already have the set:

Who mastered the new SW mixes? Right now I am listening to the 40th Anniversary Thick As A Brick and I remember the Peter Mew blunder...

Who mastered the new SW mixes? Right now I am listening to the 40th Anniversary Thick As A Brick and I remember the Peter Mew blunder...

Scans of the booklet pages. It doesn't state who did the final Mastering.

CCI26052013_0001.jpgCCI26052013_0002.jpg

I just noticed that Amazon UK have upped their pre order price from £15.87 the other day to £21 today!! :yikes :howl

Here's hoping my local HMV has it tomorrow otherwise the best value option in the UK is currently Play.com at £16.44 or Burning Shed/Cherry Red for £18.99.

Also, I saw the release date somewhere as 24th May (which is unusual)? Now most places are stating the more conventional 27th? So maybe HMV won't have it tomorrow after all :(

Worry Ye not.....you will be charged the cheaper price.

They are flat transfers by me from Steve's mixes. The only thing I did to them was filtering the LFE to 80Hz.
The original stereo mix is a pure flat transfer, as is the new stereo mix.
No messing with any of it - they did not need it.

They are flat transfers by me from Steve's mixes. The only thing I did to them was filtering the LFE to 80Hz.
The original stereo mix is a pure flat transfer, as is the new stereo mix.
No messing with any of it - they did not need it.

It sounds great!

They really should get a room.....

Ha! Yes, and set up some synths! To keep kinda on topic, "In Search of Space" was definitely a formative synth influence for me. I can remember bringing my MiniMoog and a Space Echo to a party/jam many years back and after hearing my hi-res filter-sweeping mayhem, the host said "Scott, you've got to listen to this..." and played me side two of "Angel's Egg". Heaven! Then, some years later, Tim Blake joined Hawkwind and tied some of these threads together for me. It will be brilliant if more Hawkwind gets launched into 5.1 "space".

Back