Help!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdrennen

My cable TV provider has finally done it.:mad: They broadcast the programming at a low volume level and their local ads are many times the volume level of those programs. one time the ads came on and I heard a loud pop coming from my HT receiver, I smelled something like an electrical component frying, and the circuit breaker inside the receiver threw. after restarting the receiver, I noticed a bad sound coming from anything that goes trough the DPL circuit. I have a two chanel amp that I use for the phono stage going through another four channel receiver the amps on which have long ago stopped working and I use the SQ/QS decoders on that receiver. I connect it through the multi channel inputs on the HT receiver. as long as the DPL circuit is out of the loop there is no problem with the amps on the receiver. I am thinking about rewireing everything to go through the two channel amp instead of the direct inputs on the receiver. I am also thinking about conecting my main left/right speakers to that amp. will there be a problem not having a load on the main left/right outputs on my receiver? :confused:

fdrennen said:
My cable TV provider has finally done it.:mad: They broadcast the programming at a low volume level and their local ads are many times the volume level of those programs. one time the ads came on and I heard a loud pop coming from my HT receiver, I smelled something like an electrical component frying, and the circuit breaker inside the receiver threw. after restarting the receiver, I noticed a bad sound coming from anything that goes trough the DPL circuit. I have a two chanel amp that I use for the phono stage going through another four channel receiver the amps on which have long ago stopped working and I use the SQ/QS decoders on that receiver. I connect it through the multi channel inputs on the HT receiver. as long as the DPL circuit is out of the loop there is no problem with the amps on the receiver. I am thinking about rewireing everything to go through the two channel amp instead of the direct inputs on the receiver. I am also thinking about conecting my main left/right speakers to that amp. will there be a problem not having a load on the main left/right outputs on my receiver? :confused:

It rather depends on what your reciever is. A cop-out of an answer I know! Sorry!
Seriously though, it's a sometimes yes, sometimes no sort of a case, ut I suspect you'll be fine. For example, as I type this, I'm temporarily running in my stereo setup that lurks upstairs a 1970s era Sony TA-N5550 that I've recently been playing with from the pre-outs of a Cambridge Audio A500 integrated, with no load attached to its own outputs, and nary a problem in sight. Both are perfectly content and make a fine and cheap combination. Equally through, I wouldn't like to try that trick with my old Musical Fidelity A1s that someone kindly stole a few months back. The output stage would most likely have thrown a major fit.
As a rule, I would say no however: you most likely will not have a problem. It's not too uncommon for people to use their stereo amp for the front L & R channels in HT applications anyway, as the stereo amp tends to provide better quality to those front speakers than the HT reciever can.
Hope this helps
Regards
Scott

Back