Herbie Hancock Japanese SACDs (multichannel?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
In checking out the link to the Sony website (http://www.sonybmgstore.com) from the recent thread, I noticed these three Japanese SACDs:

Flood -- Herbie Hancock
V.S.O.P. -- Herbie Hancock
Future Shock -- Herbie Hancock

Saw "Future Shock" mentioned in this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6412
... but no further comments.

The Sony site says that each of these has a 5.1 mix, while sa-cd.net says stereo only. At import prices, it'd be nice to know in advance. Can someone who owns these comment further?

Not sure whether or not I really want to hear it one more time, but "Rockit" could be a hoot in surround! There must still be breakdancers out there, somewhere...

Mark Z

In checking out the link to the Sony website (http://www.sonybmgstore.com) from the recent thread, I noticed these three Japanese SACDs:

Flood -- Herbie Hancock
V.S.O.P. -- Herbie Hancock
Future Shock -- Herbie Hancock

Saw "Future Shock" mentioned in this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6412
... but no further comments.

The Sony site says that each of these has a 5.1 mix, while sa-cd.net says stereo only. At import prices, it'd be nice to know in advance. Can someone who owns these comment further?

Not sure whether or not I really want to hear it one more time, but "Rockit" could be a hoot in surround! There must still be breakdancers out there, somewhere...

Mark Z

The photos of the sacds says stereo on these.

Is there more than one SACD version? :confused:

That's what I'm hoping.

A month ago I PM'd a member who hasn't checked in with this thread yet, and got this reply:

I didn't get around to any of the recent Herbie Hancock SACDs. However, I would strongly recommend reading the following thread at stevehoffman.tv....

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=122581&highlight=herbie+hancock

Doesn't look like "Future Shock" is 5.1.

Evidently there are both hybrid and single-layer versions of the "Future Shock" SACD, but I haven't found an individual with a multichannel version of either -- yet. Sony BMG, Amazon, and DVD4Music may say so, but I would guess that Sony is the information source for all three and I haven't seen any proof that they're right. Could order it from one and return if it's not, but that's a hassle.

Mark Z

These are stereo only no matter what you might read "on the internet". In my opinion, they are worth owning as they sound excellent.

ok, thanks. just bought the remaster cd from 1999 today which sounds quite fresh, but now i might try to get hold of the sacd...
too bad, though, this woud surely sound great in mch...

The only Japanese SACD of Herbie Hancock I have is "Headhunters" which is SACD stereo/multi-channel and CD hybrid. I picked it up from HMV Japan and at a decent price too.

Kind of reminds me of the Meatloaf - Bat Out of hell SACDs... there appears to be a stereo only SACD and a stereo/multi SACD (no hybrids here.... rats!) and I wondered why they did both. I do have the multi but see many stereo only versions.
What gives with that??

-Bob

Hello,

For those of you after "Rock It" in 5.1 this is the way to go. http://www.amazon.com/Herbie-Hancoc...r_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215779190&sr=1-33

This is a nice recording of a good show and there are discreet moments (in the rears) and good sonics. However the best surround to be had (regarding "Rock It") was obtained through the variomatrix while viewing the original video (Stereo) in the extras on the disc.

Yes, Headhunters is available as multichannel and was released domestically. However, the original post did not concern this title (please read first message in the thread).

To confirm the above posts, Hancock's only 5.1 SACD is Headhunters, but there is a stereo SL edition as well. Both come with Sony slipcovers that should make it easy to determine which edition you're looking at. The stereo SL was my first ever SACD purchase at $23 on eBay, but once I found the multichannel/stereo edition in a store for $8 a couple of weeks later, I quickly sold off the stereo-only (5.1 is the ultimate way to hear this album). IIRC, there was a difference in the number of measures played during the intro to "Watermelon Man" on the two discs that I just couldn't wrap my head around since I've heard the song so many times.

Man-Child (1975) was released as a gold MFSL but is long OOP and very expensive. I've heard it, however, and prefer it over the standard U.S. redbook. I have a rare quad playback of Secrets (1976) stored on my HD and for those who mentioned "Rockit" (one word) the current U.S. remaster of Future Shock (1983) is very good and includes an excellent but otherwise hard to find "Rockit (Mega-Mix)" which is not available on the SACD. If stereo SL SACD is neither here nor there for you, save your money and buy the remaster.

...I found the multichannel/stereo edition in a store for $8 a couple of weeks later...

Was that at Amoeba in Berkeley? I saw a used one there last autumn for $8, but I already owned it so I left it there. I see you are in the City, do you get to the Amoeba there often? Do they have many DVD-As and/or SACDs?

Was that at Amoeba in Berkeley? I saw a used one there last autumn for $8, but I already owned it so I left it there. I see you are in the City, do you get to the Amoeba there often? Do they have many DVD-As and/or SACDs?

Ironically enough, it was Amoeba in Berkeley. They sometimes have a goodie, but the best one-stop-shop I've had in regards to OOP hi-res was at Rasputin in San Jose about two months ago. It was there I found:

O'Jays - Ship Ahoy SACD ($8)
Queen - A Night At The Opera DVD-A ($13)
Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day DVD-A ($10)
Joe Satriani - Engines Of Creation SACD ($8)

As Filper said, keep hunting - they're out there!

Back