I got my DENON 3910 "link" working with SACD!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Well, I now have a DENON 4806 receiver paired with a DENON 3910, and after a 3 CD firmware update to the 3910, I popped my Brothers in Arms SACD in and "presto" - 5.1 Hi Rez surround WITHOUT the 6 analog cables!!

:banana:

This deserves a dancing banana!! :D

This is very cool. I now have the 3910 connected only with a Denon Link cable and an HDMI cable (for video only) and it sounds terrific. It took me a while to get the whole thing going, so I have not auditioned a lot of SACDs yet, but I will return to this thread with a more in-depth report, including a few pictures.

For those with the same equipment as me, all it took was a trip to the Denon website upgrade page, the serial number of the 3910, and a very quick (over cable modem) download. From this zip file, you create 3 data CDs, then follow a very detailed PDF instruction set and install the 3 CDs that upgrade the firmware to "Denon Link 3". (It's too bad Pioneer did not make their firmware upgrades this easy)

Tomorrow when I get home, I am going to try some classical & Jazz SACDs, as these should really show some detail.

Now that SACD and DVD-A 5.1 surround discs can play "in the digital domain", it's a shame that the formats seem to be stalled and fading.

This is the most annoying thing of all..............

(PS - For those interested, the Denon Link cable comes with the 3910, not the 4806)

Great news Jon...Thx for the info. I have the link capability on my Denon 3805 and hope to use it someday. Pls post an update after you've lived with it awhile. I'd be curious to know if you feel the sound/surround quality has improved using this setup over the 6 individual cables....
TimW

PS: Does the link work with DVD-A also????

My question when the digital stream is finally in the receiver is the receiver converting it to PCM for bass management and speakers compensation distance? If you have 5 full range speakers and the right room some of the items mentioned might not be needed but most people have to use one or both of the setting.

This is excellant news Jon!

I have told a friend too wait for the 4806 as he's in the market to get a new receiver..

I was still uncertain about him needing the 6 analog cables..

Please post your opinions about the 4806 overall and in particular any comments about the Audessy (sp) room EQ..

I'm a big believer in the benefits of room EQ and this is a mandatory feature for me and a major reason for suggesting the 4806 to my friend..

The room EQ is very bizarre. I have done it a couple of times, and am still not sure I got it right. I'll post more on it later.

How many people out their are using the Denon link with a Denon receiver and have you had any problems?
I have been using for a couple of years and for the most part am pretty happy. As I have been buidling my surround collection(doing some catchup) I didn't give some disk's proper listening time.
Some disk's do some silly things and not sure if this is a 3910 problem(firmware issue) or Denon link problem.
It seems to be a problem when the lyric's page turns and there will be a slight pause(jitter) when the page turns.

Disk's were this happens on my player(could be more):

Crowded House-Crowded House
Queen-Night at the Opera

If I play the DTS it plays through songs properly but when i use MLP(Dvd Audio) thats when it fails when the page turns on the screen. I don't usually have my tv on but to try to isolate the problem I was watching along and sure enough exactly when the lyrics change to the next screen is when you get a interruption on playback(slight pause) but depending on what comes next can be really annoying. You might not catch this as some songs might have a normal break or maybe a have a quiet part around the time of lyric change on screen. The songs where the problem happens, it definitely happens every time. Here's 2 to try and check if anyone has time.

Queen-Prophet's song and Bohemian Rhapsody are best examples of this. Fails every time on page turns. Other songs on disk also happens.

My setup-I am using Denon 3805 receiver with 3910 and using Denon link. I used to use 5 cable's but went to the Denon link as less cables and sound should be just as good(I hope thats right).

Has anyone else had these problems. I saw a post by someone else that said they had problems with Denon 2910 and Crowded House Dual Disk(pausing problem) so is this a problem with Denon's and some of the early Dvd Audio's?

peter

Back