Interview with Paul Sinclair of Super Deluxe Edition (SDE)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SD is sure as heck up MY alley!
Way up it.
Any further Steely multichannel releases, be they SACD or Blu-ray, either classic Quad mixes or newer, unreleased 5.1, would be highly exciting and enjoyable to me.
If I'm not mistaken, the other two SD quad albums were also done by Eliot and are available.
And then there are the rest of the other Elton John 5.1s that were never released.

If I'm not mistaken, the other two SD quad albums were also done by Eliot and are available.
And then there are the rest of the other Elton John 5.1s that were never released.
this is all just based on supposition and heresay etc but fwiw..

the vintage Quads of "Can't Buy A Thrill" and "Countdown To Ecstasy" were said to have been mixed by Roger Nichols himself. a "long held" view is that the Quad Masters are no longer held in the vaults πŸ˜…πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ but nobody really knows for sure.

the story goes that Elliot Scheiner started re-mixing "Aja" in Surround sometime around 1998/1999 but the process was abandoned when the multi's for "Black Cow" and the title track could not be located at the time. the multi's for the former have allegedly since been found, no idea about the latter.

Mr. Scheiner subsequently supposedly pulled all the Steely Dan multitrack masters available at the time, although it's been suggested he completed a 5.1 mix of the "Pretzel Logic" album only and that it was prepared for a standalone Hybrid MultiCh SACD release circa 2004 that never happened.

curiously, for any followers of Michael Fremer's Tracking Angle YouTube channel, in his latest video he visits Universal's tape storage facility at Iron Mountain and at one point two large tape boxes said to contain the multitrack tapes for "Aja" are sat out on a trolly. according to some off camera comments they were apparently recently pulled for a project.. πŸ‘€πŸ˜³

this is all just based on supposition and heresay etc but fwiw..

the vintage Quads of "Can't Buy A Thrill" and "Countdown To Ecstasy" were said to have been mixed by Roger Nichols himself. a "long held" view is that the Quad Masters are no longer held in the vaults πŸ˜…πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ but nobody really knows for sure.

the story goes that Elliot Scheiner started re-mixing "Aja" in Surround sometime around 1998/1999 but the process was abandoned when the multi's for "Black Cow" and the title track could not be located at the time. the multi's for the former have allegedly since been found, no idea about the latter.

Mr. Scheiner subsequently supposedly pulled all the Steely Dan multitrack masters available at the time, although it's been suggested he completed a 5.1 mix of the "Pretzel Logic" album only and that it was prepared for a standalone Hybrid MultiCh SACD release circa 2004 that never happened.

curiously, for any followers of Michael Fremer's Tracking Angle YouTube channel, in his latest video he visits Universal's tape storage facility at Iron Mountain and at one point two large tape boxes said to contain the multitrack tapes for "Aja" are sat out on a trolly. according to some off camera comments they were apparently recently pulled for a project.. πŸ‘€πŸ˜³

I have it on good authority that Scheiner's 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic was indeed finished, though I believe the others were not. (They may not even have been begun. It's likely, however, that the multis for CBAT, CtE, Katy, Royal Scam, and/or Aja were "pulled" from the vaults at around the same time, as Universal briefly announced forthcoming multichannel releases of all six titles.)

I hadn't heard about the discovery of the "Aja" multis--that's promising. And the idea that someone is fiddling with the multis for any of the remaining albums is tantalizing! I gotta track down that Tracking Angle vid!

https://trackingangle.com/features/...-iron-mountain-tape-vault-and-you-are-invited

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for this great interview. I have been signed up with SDE for a while now and it's great to finally see Paul and listen to him speak. I have most of the Surround Series releases and until recently only had a 5.1 setup, but now I have expanded to 5.1.2 and recently received Lexicon of Love and it sounds bloody fantastic - SW did an amazing job with this mix. I was never a huge ABC fan but this album is great and you are right, the instrumental versions are also much fun to listen to. Keep them coming Paul - I'm always looking for pre-order announcements from SDE.

for any followers of Michael Fremer's Tracking Angle YouTube channel, in his latest video he visits Universal's tape storage facility at Iron Mountain and at one point two large tape boxes said to contain the multitrack tapes for "Aja" are sat out on a trolly. according to some off camera comments they were apparently recently pulled for a project.. πŸ‘€πŸ˜³
Here's the video cued up to the point where multis for "Aja" and "Royal Scam" appear. (The context is that they're looking at a shelf full of "incoming/outgoing" stuff that has recently been requested by labels for various projects. The off-camera comments you referred to are around 1:10:20, I think? But the IM guy mentions a vinyl project; it's Fremer himself who implicitly corrects him, pointing out that they wouldn't need multis for a vinyl reissue. And then somebody--maybe not the same guy as before?--says something about "could be for Atmos"....)

I SO want to work there!

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen...

I am stoked to present this interview with Paul Sinclair, from Super Deluxe Edition (SDE)!!!

Topics covered include:

A day in the life editing SDE

The inspiration for SDE

Creating the Surround Series

Inspiration for the Surround Series

Future titles outlook

ABC - Lexicon of Love - the road to release

Possible formats for releases

A thank you for releasing stand-alone blu-rays

Final thoughts... for now!

Thank you, @PaulatSDE

Awesome....loved that.