is this LP quadraphonic or another person getting on the band wagon ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's down on the list as being QS, although i've not managed to get hold of a copy to test it. His other Quad releases were on Impulse and Blue Thumb, perhaps this was an off-shoot?

OD

So do everest titles, and they're mostly mono it seems. Anyway, i've aquired an mp3 copy of this rare album, so i'll put a track through its paces

OD

Blue Thumb was distributed by ABC, the parent of Impulse, in the early Quad days. ABC did not own Blue Thumb, but only had a distribution agreement. Although I haven't heard the Blue Thumb Sun Ra titles, it's very possible that they are QS. There are several Sun Ra's on Impulse which I own, and they are QS. MCA acquired ABC in the late '70's. MCA and all other former ABC labels are now owned by UMG. Then again, isn't everything? Everything except Sony, but maybe UMG can acquire it, too.

It's down on the list as being QS, although i've not managed to get hold of a copy to test it. His other Quad releases were on Impulse and Blue Thumb, perhaps this was an off-shoot?

OD

I've just re-done 'Space is The Place' for the blog, which was on Blue Thumb, and that was QS.

Seems all these small labels went with QS, leaving the big boys using SQ

OD

El Saturn is a Chicago label. They had a distribution agreement in the late '50's/60's with ESP-Disc, another very small label. In the mid '70's, 10 El Saturn Research titles were distributed by ABC/Impulse. This included rereleases of their old titles, as well as newly recorded titles. That agreement ended in the '70's.

Note there is no date (P) on the blue record label in post #1. That makes it highly unlikely that ABC/Impulse pressed it. Likely the LP IS from '73 (or later,) in that Quad only came into being a couple years earlier. The graphics look very primitive, as do all original El Saturn titles and those released on ESP-Disc.

Here's what Wikipedia said about El Saturn: "El Saturn Records is the name of an American record label. The label was one of the most active artist-owned record labels created in 1957 by Alton Abraham. Notable albums produced by the label include works by Sun Ra. The label is currently owned by James Stubbs-Abraham and is part of Universal Music Group. Recently, El Saturn has released new recordings in genres ranging from hip-hop to rap."

I had the pleasure of hearing Sun Ra & his Arkestra at Jazz Fest in Chicago in the early '80's. In the late '90's, after Sun Ra's death, I heard them again, under the direction of Sun Ra protegee Marshall Allen, also at Jazz Fest.

Sun Ra (born Herman Poole Blount, legal name Le Sony'r Ra ; May 22, 1914 – May 30, 1993) aka Sonny Blount.

IMHO, the quintessential Sun Ra track is Between Two Worlds from Angels and Demons at Play, rec '56-'60. ABC/Impulse AS-9245 LP 1974, now on Evidence Records CD ECD 22066-2. CD is coupled with Nubians of Plutonia, another title leased to ABC/Impulse in the '70's.

Otherworldly!

OD

I'm reviving this thread (what an...interesting collection of discussants!) in order to post this fine profile from The Guardian of longtime Arkestra leader Marshall Allen, who turns 100 this year.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...all-allen-on-life-with-sun-ra-and-turning-100

High time to get some Sun Ra in Atmos! (Hey UMG: you could start with an upgrade of Space Is the Place.)
Besides being some occasionally crazy-assed music; the old QS LPs tend to go for crazier money. I've had them on my discogs watchlist for years looking for "reasonable pricing" without much love; like this one below-

https://www.discogs.com/release/1051089-Sun-Ra-Space-Is-The-Place
of course Atmos may (key word here... may) spark much more interest 🚀 👾 🌌

Besides being some occasionally crazy-assed music; the old QS LPs tend to go for crazier money. I've had them on my discogs watchlist for years looking for "reasonable pricing" without much love; like this one below-

https://www.discogs.com/release/1051089-Sun-Ra-Space-Is-The-Place
of course Atmos may (key word here... may) spark much more interest 🚀 👾 🌌
According to Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY all of the Sun Ra QS titles were ONLY released in that format [single inventory] which I suspect carried over to any RBCD versions:

SUN RA -
Astro Black. Impulse AS-9255 (QS), A 8027-9255 (QS8)
Discipline 27-II. El Saturn Records SR-538 (QS)
{Cover states SQ Quadraphonic, back mentions the Sansui Standard Matrix system}
Magic City. Impulse AS-9243 (QS)
Pathways to Unknown Worlds. Impulse ASD-9298 (QS)
Space is the Place. Blue Thumb BTS-41 (QS), BTE-M-841 (QS8),
BT.10021 (QS) [France]
{The titles above were released only in quad, no stereo version known}

According to Mark Anderson's QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY all of the Sun Ra QS titles were ONLY released in that format [single inventory] which I suspect carried over to any RBCD versions:

SUN RA -
Astro Black. Impulse AS-9255 (QS), A 8027-9255 (QS8)
Discipline 27-II. El Saturn Records SR-538 (QS)
{Cover states SQ Quadraphonic, back mentions the Sansui Standard Matrix system}
Magic City. Impulse AS-9243 (QS)
Pathways to Unknown Worlds. Impulse ASD-9298 (QS)
Space is the Place. Blue Thumb BTS-41 (QS), BTE-M-841 (QS8),
BT.10021 (QS) [France]
{The titles above were released only in quad, no stereo version known}
True, but when it comes to most of the old Quads, I prefer to start with the LPs (just for sentimental personal preference- YPMV!)

Back